DMN Blog: Tank Johnson: Cowboys' D didn't get its [rear] kicked

DA FAN

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2298600 said:
Tank Johnson: Cowboys' D didn't get its [rear] kicked

9:25 AM Tue, Sep 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Usually when a running back racks up 121 yards and averages 5.8 yards per carry, it's a pretty good sign that his offensive line whupped the opposing front seven. Just don't tell Cowboys backup NT Tank Johnson that.

Commanders RB Clinton Portis put up those stats, but Johnson said the problem was poor gap control, not getting manhandled by the Washington O-line.

"I heard so much that they dominated us up front, that they pushed us around and kicked our [rear]," Tank said. "That's definitely not the case. It was more us than them."

Wade Phillips backed up Tank's theory, saying that the Cowboys' primary problem against the run was guys trying to make plays instead of taking care of their responsibility.

But there was also a little butt kicking going on in the trenches. On Portis' last two double-digit gains, the D-lineman at the point of attack got turned around to the point that his back faced the line of scrimmage while getting pushed downfield. It was No. 95 being overpowered by a double team in the second case.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

My question is, is this something they only learn of after watching film or is it something they knew about during the game?

If the latter of the two, then why didn't they adjust?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
DA FAN;2298841 said:
My question is, is this something they only learn of after watching film or is it something they knew about during the game?

If the latter of the two, then why didn't they adjust?

You can lead a horse to water............

DA FAN

Reaction score
Seven;2298876 said:
You can lead a horse to water............

If they are stubborn and won't adjust during the game then it's more like.

you can lead a mule to water.... cause they are stubborn

Oh well, at least they've recognized it, let's hope they learn from it and not make the same mistake...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrangler87;2298639 said:
That's half the problem. We are in denial.
There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. It's the defensive linemen's responsibility to challenge their blockers to allow the linebackers the freedom to flow to the ball both inside and outside the tackles. That didn't happen enough on Sunday. Likewise, the offensive line were not maintaining their blocks long enough for Tony (I'm going to stand here in the pocket like Brady) Romo to find the open receiver or create adequate holes for Barber on six of his eight carries. If there are any lineman repeating what Johnson is saying, they are only fooling themselves.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Front seven Could do their job, if Brian Stewart and his Lackeys did theirs, Nuff said

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
khiladi;2298809 said:
They should have gotten Shaun Rodgers... His numbers are up there with Ratliff this year and we could have moved Ratliff to DE.

We already had a very good run stuffing nosetackle on the roster .. we traded him for a 6th round pick. Don't know why we would want to then trade a high draft pick for a fat, lazy, overpriced one who hasn't made much impact for Cleveland.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2299017 said:
We already had a very good run stuffing nosetackle on the roster .. we traded him for a 6th round pick. Don't know why we would want to then trade a high draft pick for a fat, lazy, overpriced one who hasn't made much impact for Cleveland.

Not to mention ferguson was a leader and he didnt make much money.

I have thought all along tank will be a liability in the run game against a physical team like ny and washington. We saw it sunday and I suspect we will see alot more of johnson getting tossed around in the running game.

I will never understand not having ferguson on this team. I think phillips wanted to clear out a number of parcells players, which is his right, but Jason Ferguson would have been really nice to have in that rotation this past sunday.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
landryscorner;2298987 said:
Front seven Could do their job, if Brian Stewart and his Lackeys did theirs, Nuff said
Missed assignments is on the coaches' heads. Being overpowered by the opposing team's linemen is on the players' heads.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;2299027 said:
I will never understand not having ferguson on this team. I think phillips wanted to clear out a number of parcells players, which is his right, but Jason Ferguson would have been really nice to have in that rotation this past sunday.

I really do think it was mostly drinking the Tank Kool-Aid. Lots of reports of Tank having the best offseason on the team and lots of Jerry talking about how much Tank was one of the players he was looking forward watching most in training camp. Tank has always been a tease. He was highly drafted more for his combine workouts than his production coming out of college.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Now to everyone that was calling Tank a leader...

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SOMETHING A LEADER SAYS???

No.

The dude is making an excuse for getting owned in the trenches and he's not secure enough as a football player to admit they got owned and need to improve.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Anyone who watched Marcus Spears and Tank Johnson against the run on Sunday will realize why our starting line is Spears-Ratliff-Canty instead of Ratliff-Johnson-Canty, like a lot of people were calling for before the season (and some just assumed would happen).

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Tank, chew you damn dip, collect your guns, and go suck some more on the field.

Its absoluteley laughable, a guy named "Tank" who is the size of yourself, can't even get into the backfield.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2299017 said:

Because he came off a seasonending injury and was 33 years old. And Shaun Rodgers, like I said, has equivalent numbers to ratliff this year. Detroit makes everybody look bad. Shaun Rodgers has been playing top-notch. He has had impact, his team hasn't.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2299017 said:

Completely.

Freakin'.

CLUELESS.

The dude has been a MONSTER for cleveland.

Next time you want to make a claim, do some freakin' research first. Then maybe (I said MAYBE) you won't look so foolish.

Shaun Rogers has been one of the rare spotlights for that team this year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
khiladi;2299353 said:
Because he came off a seasonending injury and was 33 years old. And Shaun Rodgers, like I said, has equivalent numbers to ratliff this year. Detroit makes everybody look bad. Shaun Rodgers has been playing top-notch. He has had impact, his team hasn't.

he had a torn tricep.

That is no reason not bring him back.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2299367 said:
he had a torn tricep.

That is no reason not bring him back.

Pretty sure it was a torn bicep.

And they should have brought him back (or gone after Rogers). Then they could have put Ratliff at DE fulltime (where he'd be much more effective).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Rack;2299379 said:
Pretty sure it was a torn bicep.

And they should have brought him back (or gone after Rogers). Then they could have put Ratliff at DE fulltime (where he'd be much more effective).

yeah could have been. either way it was not slowing him down any this year.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2298600 said:
Tank Johnson: Cowboys' D didn't get its [rear] kicked

9:25 AM Tue, Sep 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Usually when a running back racks up 121 yards and averages 5.8 yards per carry, it's a pretty good sign that his offensive line whupped the opposing front seven. Just don't tell Cowboys backup NT Tank Johnson that.

Commanders RB Clinton Portis put up those stats, but Johnson said the problem was poor gap control, not getting manhandled by the Washington O-line.

"I heard so much that they dominated us up front, that they pushed us around and kicked our [rear]," Tank said. "That's definitely not the case. It was more us than them."

Wade Phillips backed up Tank's theory, saying that the Cowboys' primary problem against the run was guys trying to make plays instead of taking care of their responsibility.

But there was also a little butt kicking going on in the trenches. On Portis' last two double-digit gains, the D-lineman at the point of attack got turned around to the point that his back faced the line of scrimmage while getting pushed downfield. It was No. 95 being overpowered by a double team in the second case.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Time to drug test Johnson and Wade then, because the defense got their tails whipped in every area on Sunday. The only issue thats debatable is whether the defensive coaching staff or the defensive players themselves sucked the most.