DMN Blog: Tony Romo to Jason Witten: 'If you get open, maybe you'll get that ball'

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
September 25, 2008

Tony Romo to Jason Witten: 'If you get open, maybe you'll get that ball'

3:06 PM Thu, Sep 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

T.O. isn't the only Pro Bowl pass catcher who will occasionally complain in the huddle about not getting the ball. That's part of Jason Witten's well-rounded game, too.

Donovan McNabb telling T.O. to shut up in the huddle has been pinpointed (by WR and QB) as a turning point in their relationship going sour. Romo will let T.O. tell him how open he was on occasion. On the other hand, Romo has no problem hushing Witten.

"He'll tell me sometimes, 'Just relax,'" said Witten, who rooms with Romo on the road and hangs out with him often. "Sometimes Terrell says something and he'll just shake his head and he won't say anything. He takes it under the chin a little bit between all of us sometimes. But he'll let me know, 'If you get open, maybe you'll get that ball.'"

Witten considers it healthy that he can communicate with his QB without worrying about offending each other. Of course, it helps that Witten gets open a whole lot, ranking third in the NFL with 20 receptions after setting a franchise TE record with 96 last season.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
tomson75;2285896 said:
Witten is on pace for a 107 catch season.

If you take just his WORST game for catches this season (six) and his just worst game for yardage (67), he'd still be on pace for 96 catches and 1,072 yards.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Witten is just a regular dude

that's what I love about him, he just doesn't care

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

seperated shoulder, no problem

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2285917 said:

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

:signmast: What he said.

Temo

Reaction score
Well, at least Romo understands that you can't treat everyone the same, something Parcells arguably never learned.

What you can say to Witten, you might not be able to say to Owens.

Thomas82

Reaction score

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

That dude is a warrior.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

Helmet, no helmet, whatever....

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2285881 said:
September 25, 2008

Tony Romo to Jason Witten: 'If you get open, maybe you'll get that ball'

3:06 PM Thu, Sep 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

T.O. isn't the only Pro Bowl pass catcher who will occasionally complain in the huddle about not getting the ball. That's part of Jason Witten's well-rounded game, too.

Donovan McNabb telling T.O. to shut up in the huddle has been pinpointed (by WR and QB) as a turning point in their relationship going sour. Romo will let T.O. tell him how open he was on occasion. On the other hand, Romo has no problem hushing Witten.

"He'll tell me sometimes, 'Just relax,'" said Witten, who rooms with Romo on the road and hangs out with him often. "Sometimes Terrell says something and he'll just shake his head and he won't say anything. He takes it under the chin a little bit between all of us sometimes. But he'll let me know, 'If you get open, maybe you'll get that ball.'"

Witten considers it healthy that he can communicate with his QB without worrying about offending each other. Of course, it helps that Witten gets open a whole lot, ranking third in the NFL with 20 receptions after setting a franchise TE record with 96 last season.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Heh-I guess we're going to have to beware of Witten of being a potential locker room cancer.:laugh1:

Eskimo

Reaction score
Temo;2285925 said:
Well, at least Romo understands that you can't treat everyone the same, something Parcells arguably never learned.

What you can say to Witten, you might not be able to say to Owens.

Parcells is actually famous for treating different players very differently to get the most he could out of each of them.

I think by the time he came to us he was too old/tired/exhausted to do it after his first year.

He did botch the whole TO thing which I think is due to Jones overruling him on bringing him on.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Eskimo;2285962 said:
Parcells is actually famous for treating different players very differently to get the most he could out of each of them.

I think by the time he came to us he was too old/tired/exhausted to do it after his first year.

He did botch the whole TO thing which I think is due to Jones overruling him on bringing him on.

Parcells has always been a great motivator-However, you do NOT call out a player like that like he did that year. It doesn't matter if TO was a good guy or a bad guy, that's a NO-NO. I don't recall any coaches behaving like that, not even Jimmy Johnson.

ddh33

Reaction score
And here is the point, every skill player wants the ball. Every QB has to deal with a bunch of guys wanting the football and saying they were open. Romo just handles it better than a lot of other guys. His players know he's trying to score points and win games by throwing to the open man.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

no balls, no pro..... oh, wait!

yrades

Reaction score
Boysboy;2285965 said:
Parcells has always been a great motivator-However, you do NOT call out a player like that like he did that year. It doesn't matter if TO was a good guy or a bad guy, that's a NO-NO. I don't recall any coaches behaving like that, not even Jimmy Johnson.

There was another coach, can't remember his name, but he called one of his best receivers she, Terry Glenn I think his name was. Can't remember his name though.

Boysboy

Reaction score
yrades;2285974 said:
There was another coach, can't remember his name, but he called one of his best receivers she, Terry Glenn I think his name was. Can't remember his name though.

His "she" comment on Glenn was really more tongue-in-cheek on the humor side.

His "the player" comment was nothing more than a public swipe on Owens. I would have been p'd off too.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score

gets hushed, no problem

broken jaw, no probem

he's my favorite player on this team.

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2285987 said:
he's my favorite player on this team.

I hate to use "lucky" here, but the Eagles had a strong shot to pick him up in '03's draft...but they opted for LJ Smith instead-who's continuing to stink it up there DESPITE being in a contract year.

They also had MB3 in their laps in the '05 draft, only to opt for Ryan "fumbilitis" Moats.

Oh well-I'm not complaining.:)