WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade seeks rule tweak

2:22 PM Mon, Dec 17, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

S Roy Williams may be facing more serious league discipline this week, after horse-collaring Eagles QB Donovan McNabb, and drawing a penalty for it for the third time this season. After the last infraction, Williams was fined $27,500 and this one, it stands to reason, could lead to a suspension.

And coach Wade Phillips really doesn't see why.

"It wasn’t against the rules until a couple years ago," he said. "Now, all of a sudden, they say it’s against the rules. To me, if you tackle a guy from behind like that and you’re not falling on his legs, you’re not hurting anybody. So what’s wrong with it? Now, if you’re falling on his legs, like he did before, then that’s one thing.

"But that’s the rule and we need to abide by it. He just going to have to learn to do it different. And he passed it up a couple times in that game."

Of course, Phillips doesn't have to look much further than his own locker room to find out the reason for the rule going in. And Terrell Owens probably found something wrong with horse-collar tackling when his leg shattered under Williams' weight in 2004.

But to think that this is as easy as saying to Williams, "Stop it," is wrong, Phillips said.

"He’s real strong, especially with his hands," Phillips said. "You go to your strength, so he’s going to grab somebody with his hands. And the way it is now, they tape those jerseys in the back, so you can’t grab them, you can’t hold on to them. The only thing you can grab is something behind him.

"And he’s coming from behind, he has to learn to lay out. But what he’s used to doing is grabbing them, because he’s so strong with his hands. He hasn’t been able to break that habit obviously."

Phillips then explained why: "He’s told me before he played that way in midget ball, and it wasn’t against the rules."

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't defend it - correct it.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Well, its against the rules now, so get over it.

Roy needs to cut that crap out. Its bush league.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Funniest thing was when someone asked, "Do you try to coach him out of that?"

And Wade deadpanned, "No we just let 'em all run around and play the way they want to..."

Before saying that of course they try to coach him out of it.

Eddie

Reaction score
Wade needs to make a statement and sit Roy for a game. He has to stop this nonsense.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Sarge;1840630 said:
Don't defend it - correct it.

Seriously...Time for lobbying the league to reconsider the rule is not now and irrelevant...Camp Cupcake Coach Phillips should consider getting his players to respond to him after 14 games in the regular season.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
its a habit in Roys' game. its gonna be real hard to take it away completely.

FCBarca

Reaction score
kØwbØy;1840654 said:
its a habit in Roys' game. its gonna be real hard to take it away completely.

I say what would be easy is to completely take away Roy Williams...Insert the other Roy Williams on the roster...Done

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1840644 said:
Are you serious?

Yeah, but not because of the horse collar. He's probably just one of those people that doesn't like Roy to begin with.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
FCBarca;1840646 said:
Seriously...Time for lobbying the league to reconsider the rule is not now and irrelevant...Camp Cupcake Coach Phillips should consider getting his players to respond to him after 14 games in the regular season.

Ah, here we go...

One loss to an 'inferior' team and now it's because of 'Camp Cupcake'. Where was Coach Cupcake when Romo was the number 2 rated passer in the league before this game?

khiladi

Reaction score
I love the drama of the writer of this article. If you read the Wade Phillips press conference, it pretty much amounts to Roy Williams probably won't get fined. He needs to wrap his defender up, and we are working on it in practice. It is just a hard habit to break because he has been doing it for his whole life.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;1840719 said:
it pretty much amounts to Roy Williams probably won't get fined.
Total BS, he has gotten fined for it before and will get fined even more for repeatedly doing it this season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1840625 said:
"It wasn’t against the rules until a couple years ago," he said. "Now, all of a sudden, they say it’s against the rules. To me, if you tackle a guy from behind like that and you’re not falling on his legs, you’re not hurting anybody. So what’s wrong with it? Now, if you’re falling on his legs, like he did before, then that’s one thing.
Psst...

...because it hurt Offensive players. The rules always cater to the Offense. There is no other reason for this silly rule.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1840736 said:
Total BS, he has gotten fined for it before and will get fined even more for repeatedly doing it this season.

seriously. I love the "he wasn't warned" part too.

Do you really have to be "warned" if the rule was named after you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc;1840741 said:
seriously. I love the "he wasn't warned" part too.

Do you really have to be "warned" if the rule was named after you?

Maybe he thought it was the other Roy Williams. :laugh2:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1840775 said:
He can't throw his player under the bus in public.

It isn't throwing a guy under a bus to say he's got to stop getting personal foul penalties.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
CowboyWay;1840633 said:
Well, its against the rules now, so get over it.

Roy needs to cut that crap out. Its bush league.

On the nosey.