DMN Blog: Wade Phillips: We need to get Felix Jones more involved

superpunk

Reaction score
We could have such an effective screen game, that would force the defense to stop bringing the pressure, take notice, and back off a bit. I really thought that would have been effective against Philly, and the one time we ran one we gained what, 20 yards? Not sure why we refuse to do that more often. It's like stealing yardage, against teams that think pressuring Romo is gonna end our offense.

I don't think RJ is a fan of the screen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2268745 said:
Funny, when it's Wade's fault, he's an idiot. When it's Garrett's fault, he is being smart.

As HC I think Wade has input in all areas of the team. This ideal he has no involvement with offense is BS. Because you don't call the plays does not mean you do not have the input. Jimmy Johnson never called a single play with the Cowboys he left that up to Shula and then Turner but the HC has input of what he wants out of the offense throughout the game and is in communication with both of his coordinators.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
It'll be devastating to see him lined up with a LB. Lol they should been thought of that. I was surprised to see Tony throw a touchdown to MB III.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2268750 said:
As HC I think Wade has input in all areas of the team. This ideal he has no involvement with offense is BS. Because you don't call the plays does not mean you do not have the input. Jimmy Johnson never called a single play with the Cowboys he left that up to Shula and then Turner but the HC has input of what he wants out of the offense throughout the game and is in communication with both of his coordinators.
Did you mean to reply to someone else? I never said Wade didn't have any involvement with the offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2268759 said:
Did you mean to reply to someone else? I never said Wade didn't have any involvement with the offense.

I was getting after you just the notion by some that somehow this team has 2 HC. This team has 1 HC and 3 coordinators (offense, defense and special teams). One day Garrett may become the HC of the Cowboys but as of now he is not. When the S*** hits the fan the media will look to Wade not Jason. I don't think I have ever seen a HC take the BS that Phillips has from some of our fans given the fact he as a 15-4 record as a HC after 1 full season and 2 games it truly is unbelievable.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2268768 said:
I was getting after you just the notion by some that somehow this team has 2 HC. This team has 1 HC and 3 coordinators (offense, defense and special teams). One day Garrett may become the HC of the Cowboys but as of now he is not. When the S*** hits the fan the media will look to Wade not Jason. I don't think I have ever seen a HC take the BS that Phillips has from some of our fans given the fact he as a 15-4 record as a HC after 1 full season and 2 games it truly is unbelievable.
Right, but some actually believe that Garrett talked Jerry into drafting Felix. And we know that Wade has said he wants to get him 10-15 touches a game on offense, so it's funny that Wade gets the blame for him not being used but not Garrett. Or that Garrett's "being smart" for not using him, but Wade's an "idiot."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2268771 said:
Right, but some actually believe that Garrett talked Jerry into drafting Felix. And we know that Wade has said he wants to get him 10-15 touches a game on offense, so it's funny that Wade gets the blame for him not being used but not Garrett. Or that Garrett's "being smart" for not using him, but Wade's an "idiot."

I think many people are involved leading up to the draft but in the end as Jerry has said he makes the final call

hutru01

Reaction score
I feel like everyone is preaching to choir at this point. I noticed this kid the first time he ran his first rush vs Cleveland. He has that burst of speed that not many people in football have. All it takes is 3-5 yards of open field and he is off to the races. Look to see more of him throughout the year and someone beat me to the punch, but he will be the rookie of the year if he stays healthy. DeSean Jackson is too stupid for that honor.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
With Anderson out, I expect to see some sets with Felix and Barber in the game at the same time, along with two TE and one WR.

I like the idea of MBIII inside or off tackle with an HB/TE lead blocker and the option of pulling it out of his belly and pitching/handing to Felix going outside...hard for the defense to cover both, especially when the QB can pull it out and also look to pass to TO downfield, with the other TE crossing, and Felix in the flat or on the wheel route.

You can also occasionally hand to Felix with MBIII leading to the outside.

superpunk

Reaction score
wayne motley;2268791 said:
With Anderson out, I expect to see some sets with Felix and Barber in the game at the same time, along with two TE and one WR.

I like the idea of MBIII inside or off tackle with an HB/TE lead blocker and the option of pulling it out of his belly and pitching/handing to Felix going outside...hard for the defense to cover both, especially when the QB can pull it out and also look to pass to TO downfield, with the other TE crossing, and Felix in the flat or on the wheel route.

You can also occasionally hand to Felix with MBIII leading to the outside.
Personally I'd love to see what Barber would do to someone in space, without the ball in his hands.

My guess is he would do bad things to them.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;2268771 said:

Yep...

And it's kind of funny how ever since Hard Knocks, FJ has been a Garrett idea... Even though the war room footage immediately following the draft showed Wade arguing for Felix and then shouting "Yes! Great pick!" and high-fiving people when Goodell made it official.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm all for Felix getting more time as long as it does not take away from his return ability.

the offense is good enough with what they have, might as well maximize Felix on Special teams.

Undisputed

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2268847 said:
I'm all for Felix getting more time as long as it does not take away from his return ability.

the offense is good enough with what they have, might as well maximize Felix on Special teams.

Interesting thought. First we wanted to limit his KR work to save him for the offense and now we must limit his offensive work to save him for kick returns. :D

Everyone wants a piece of the Cat.

Ender

Reaction score
percyhoward;2267863 said:
I really was thinking we were just saving Felix for that game, that he was gonna catch about 5 passes.

It's unreal that this team is 2-0, and

*it ranks 1st in points allowed off turnovers (17)
*it leads the league in penalties and penalty yards
*felix hasn't caught so much as one pass

Think about what your saying, its week two. Tall need to calm down on all this complaining. And you guys are so eager to get Felix in all the time. Doesnt MB3 have four or five tds this season. We have a probowler back their people. And he can do everything to ask of him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ender;2268905 said:
Think about what your saying, its week two. Tall need to calm down on all this complaining. And you guys are so eager to get Felix in all the time. Doesnt MB3 have four or five tds this season. We have a probowler back their people. And he can do everything to ask of him.

I agree. I love the job Barber is doing and hope that continues. I would like to get Felix into the mix but I'm very happy with the all around job that Marion Barber is doing from running, blocking and receiving the guy is getting it done

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2267577 said:
Wade Phillips: We need to get Felix Jones more involved
4:03 PM Wed, Sep 17, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Felix Jones has flashed his big-play ability with touchdowns in his first two NFL games. The Cowboys plan to give him more opportunities on offense.

Jones has only 12 carries, nine of which came with Marion Barber watching from the sideline after bruising his ribs in Cleveland. He's averaged six yards per carry and been an ankle tackle away from breaking a big one twice.

The coaches don't necessarily have a certain amount of touches per game in mind, but they know they need to get the rookie the ball more often.

"It's not easy, because we've got such a great back already back there that can make a big play for you at any time," Wade Phillips said. "But I think he gives you some juice at times. We're going to try to work him in more and more."

Added RB coach Skip Peete: "Like I told him, 'Each week your role is probably going to grow and grow and grow and grow.' We have certain things that we've been practicing and been doing to implement him into the system. A couple of them were called the other night, and a lot of them haven't been called."

Comments (8) Leave comment | E-mail entry

hmm this is different than what they were saying during the off season how he was a key role in the offense and thats why we couldn't use him a KR......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It is hard to complain too much about how the Cowboys are using players when we are scoring like we have in our 1st 2 games. Dallas has been moving the ball fairly easy and putting up points. I know Felix is the newest toy in the closet and people want to see him out there but how much can people really complain about this offense? Seriously folks. By the times teams start watching film and adjusting to us and what are we doing we will have more up our sleeves for them to deal with. If you stop and think that if the fans are not sure how we will use Felix then chances are other teams will not be sure either.

dre1614

Reaction score
theogt;2268745 said:
Funny, when it's Wade's fault, he's an idiot. When it's Garrett's fault, he is being smart.

it is nobody's fault idiot. They are doing the smart thing by bringing him along slowly.