DMN Blog: Wade wants to talk to head ref Pereira

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade wants to talk to head ref
Wade Phillips made a point not to complain about any of the penalties called against the Cowboys. It's part of his anti-excuse campaign.

But Phillips plans to chat with Mike Pereira, the league's supervisor of officials, about the play at the end of the first half. DeMarcus Ware sacked Train Rex Grossman on fourth down with at least two ticks left on the clock.

Phillips told the ref on the field that the clock should have stopped. The ref explained that the clock doesn't stop on a sack. Yeah, Phillips said, but it was fourth down. Phillips didn't get a satisfactory explanation after that, and the conversation came to an abrupt end when they put Gloria Estefan's stage up at midfield.

Phillips isn't sure if the play was reviewable, and he wants to talk to Pereira to make sure he knows the rules if the situation comes up again.

"I still think they were incorrect," Phillips said. "But, obviously, we don’t want to go back and play that play. We just want to let that slide and go ahead and say the game is over."

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 5:12 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The refs blew that call. Period.

Even Jr. High refs know that on a play there are two choices.

1. Accept the result of the play.

2. Accept the penalty.

Dallas had the right to accept the result of the play which was a sack at the Bears 35 yard line. That means a FG try from the 42 for a 52 yard attempt was possible because the clock stops when the play is dead because it is a change of possession.

Moot point now, but they were dead wrong.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
didnt they also blow the two calls on our kicker?

Looked like McBriar was hit both times in 1st half?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;1668181 said:
didnt they also blow the two calls on our kicker?

Looked like McBriar was hit both times in 1st half?
I noticed that too, they roughed our punter twice, but no call.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Refs make mistakes so I can't blame them for throwing a flag on a questionable play or missing something but this was just inexcusable. This goes beyond making a poor judgement call during live action to not knowing what the hell you are doing.

I'd imagine that everyone involved and pereira are embarrassed at how stupid they looked.

I can't wait to hear the explanation from this one.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Hostile;1668166 said:

2. Accept the penalty.

Dallas had the right to accept the result of the play which was a sack at the Bears 35 yard line. That means a FG try from the 42 for a 52 yard attempt was possible because the clock stops when the play is dead because it is a change of possession.

Yup, I completely agree.

Man, if we lost that game by a FG, we wouldn't be as calm as we are now though.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1668272 said:
Yup, I completely agree.

Man, if we lost that game by a FG, we wouldn't be as calm as we are now though.

We'd be really pissed at Crayton. :D

I guarantee you 95% of the audience all said 'Alright, Boys get the ball back with two seconds left, maybe three'.

I ended up breaking two remotes last night in the first half, I was really moody. I held back on breaking it on the Crayton drop but the blocked FG did it. I ended up breaking the other one less than a half hour later on the end of half call.

At this rate, I'm not going to have any left at the end of the season; I really need to consider moderation.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Hostile;1668166 said:

2. Accept the penalty.

Well, technically it would have been a 59 yarder, from the 42. 42+10+7= 59 :)

Or maybe I'm dumb and the ball would have been placed at the 42 and I'm reading it wrong. :)

But we all know our boy Folk would have crushed it right down the pipe. I think he hit one in college right Hos?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Avery;1668361 said:
We'd be really pissed at Crayton. :D

I guarantee you 95% of the audience all said 'Alright, Boys get the ball back with two seconds left, maybe three'.

I ended up breaking two remotes last night in the first half, I was really moody. I held back on breaking it on the Crayton drop but the blocked FG did it. I ended up breaking the other one less than a half hour later on the end of half call.

At this rate, I'm not going to have any left at the end of the season; I really need to consider moderation.

Are you rich?

:eek:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SteveOS;1668369 said:
Well, technically it would have been a 59 yarder, from the 42. 42+10+7= 59 :)

Or maybe I'm dumb and the ball would have been placed at the 42 and I'm reading it wrong. :)

But we all know our boy Folk would have crushed it right down the pipe. I think he hit one in college right Hos?
Grossman was sacked at the 35.

35 + 7 + 10 = 52.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Here we go again...

See...you cannot blame the refs calls on things...it's not going to change.

The refs are actually good this year from the first 3 games. They are giving other teams a break in the action. :cool: In other words...even with all those penalties the Cowboys were able to overcome...and that is what a team does.

;)

Enjoy...and carry on, please!

:D

es22

Reaction score
werent they supposed to stop the clock on a change in posession????
it should have been stopped with 1 sec left on the clock.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I hate using officiating as an excuse as much as the next guy, but man, that was a badly officiated first half. I almost thought Denehey had found a new job.