DMN Blog: Wade wants to talk to head ref Pereira

jimmy40

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1668155 said:
Wade wants to talk to head ref
Wade Phillips made a point not to complain about any of the penalties called against the Cowboys. It's part of his anti-excuse campaign.

But Phillips plans to chat with Mike Pereira, the league's supervisor of officials, about the play at the end of the first half. DeMarcus Ware sacked Train Rex Grossman on fourth down with at least two ticks left on the clock.

Phillips told the ref on the field that the clock should have stopped. The ref explained that the clock doesn't stop on a sack. Yeah, Phillips said, but it was fourth down. Phillips didn't get a satisfactory explanation after that, and the conversation came to an abrupt end when they put Gloria Estefan's stage up at midfield.

Phillips isn't sure if the play was reviewable, and he wants to talk to Pereira to make sure he knows the rules if the situation comes up again.

"I still think they were incorrect," Phillips said. "But, obviously, we don’t want to go back and play that play. We just want to let that slide and go ahead and say the game is over."

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 5:12 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

Mike Pereira: " Coach, we could have called tripping on Ware and gave them another down so leave us alone or we'll really screw you next time."

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Avery;1668361 said:
We'd be really pissed at Crayton. :D

I guarantee you 95% of the audience all said 'Alright, Boys get the ball back with two seconds left, maybe three'.

I ended up breaking two remotes last night in the first half, I was really moody. I held back on breaking it on the Crayton drop but the blocked FG did it. I ended up breaking the other one less than a half hour later on the end of half call.

At this rate, I'm not going to have any left at the end of the season; I really need to consider moderation.

5Stars;1668378 said:
Are you rich?

:eek:

Not anymore. He had to buy alot of remotes. :D :p:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the clock has to be reviewable in the final two minutes of the half (when it's a booth review anyway). If that's not the rule right now, it should be.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1668155 said:
Wade Phillips made a point not to complain about any of the penalties called against the Cowboys. It's part of his anti-excuse campaign.

But Phillips plans to chat with Mike Pereira, the league's supervisor of officials, about the play at the end of the first half. DeMarcus Ware sacked Train Rex Grossman on fourth down with at least two ticks left on the clock.

Phillips told the ref on the field that the clock should have stopped. The ref explained that the clock doesn't stop on a sack. Yeah, Phillips said, but it was fourth down. Phillips didn't get a satisfactory explanation after that, and the conversation came to an abrupt end when they put Gloria Estefan's stage up at midfield.

Phillips isn't sure if the play was reviewable, and he wants to talk to Pereira to make sure he knows the rules if the situation comes up again.

"I still think they were incorrect," Phillips said. "But, obviously, we don’t want to go back and play that play. We just want to let that slide and go ahead and say the game is over."

IT IS CALLED A SCREW JOB WADE......

WORST OFFICIATED GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN......

IT WAS CLEAR THE REFERES (OR MAYBE EVEN THE LEAGUE OFFICE) WANTED USE TO LOSE THE GAME, I AM SERIOUS HERE GUYS........:mad:

arglebargle

Reaction score
You need to raise a stink about this sort of thing, especially if you can do it from the winning platform, so it isn't sour grapes at work. If this officiating crew is blowing it on other games like this, they need to be not officiating in the NFL. They screwed up simple basic calls that even I know enough of to point out. The NFL administration never wants to admit any error, but they need to extend their 'tough guy' rules to the refs as well.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
arglebargle;1668780 said:
You need to raise a stink about this sort of thing, especially if you can do it from the winning platform, so it isn't sour grapes at work. If this officiating crew is blowing it on other games like this, they need to be not officiating in the NFL. They screwed up simple basic calls that even I know enough of to point out. The NFL administration never wants to admit any error, but they need to extend their 'tough guy' rules to the refs as well.

Agreed. Wade was right for mentioning it in his presser. It could have been an issue. It could be in the future.

Saying something now is akin to a boxer/trainer talking to the ref to watch out for "holding the head down and hitting" or "hitting after the bell" or "intentional head butting" etc...

Make them aware... that you are aware.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There used to be a rule where the clock automatically stopped when a QB was sacked. I am not sure if that rule is still around or not. Seems like Pittsburgh got burned by the same thing several years ago. It does not matter because the main thing that applies here is that it was 4th down. The clock stops as soon as the play stops. The ref blew it and he knows that. He just forgot what down it was apparently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;1669042 said:
There used to be a rule where the clock automatically stopped when a QB was sacked. I am not sure if that rule is still around or not. Seems like Pittsburgh got burned by the same thing several years ago. It does not matter because the main thing that applies here is that it was 4th down. The clock stops as soon as the play stops. The ref blew it and he knows that. He just forgot what down it was apparently.

On the replay you could see the ref signaling to keep the clock going and as you said on a failed 4th down that is a change of possession and he should have signaled the clocked to be stopped with 2 to 1 seconds remaining.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Bad calls in a game???? Chicago is the home of Al Capone, Sam Giancana, Bugs Moran, the Bonanno crime family, the Gambino crime family, the Colombo crime family, the Genovese crime family, the Lucchese crime family, etc etc.........coincidence?????

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1668155 said:

I'm not sure how it would not be reviewable. Reviewing time on the clock is one of the fundamental reasons why they invented instant replay.

YAKUZA