DMN Blog: Which Cowboys would start for '90s Super Bowl teams?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I debated that question with a buddy of mine, who heard it bantered about on local sports radio.

Here's the current Cowboys I think could have started on Jimmy's teams (which, in my mind, includes the Super Bowl XXX squad):

CB Terence Newman: Larry Brown was a solid player who lucked into a Super Bowl MVP award, but this is a no-contest for Newman.

WR Terrell Owens: Save the T.O.-Playmaker debate for another day. T.O. would certainly beat out Alvin Harper or Kevin Williams.

TE Jason Witten: He's a bigger version of Jay Novacek. That's awfully high praise.

DE/LB DeMarcus Ware: He's a better fit as a 3-4 OLB, but Jimmy would have found a way to get him on the field. Ware will be a perennial Pro Bowler. DE Tony Tolbert and all the OLBs of the '90s were solid pros.

RG Leonard Davis: I'll take him over John Gesek in 1992 and Kevin Gogan in 1993. We'll leave Larry Allen in the starting lineup for the 1995 squad.

MLB Bradie James: Defensive captain beats out Robert Jones.

P Mat McBriar: The best in Cowboys' history.

K Nick Folk: Don't recall Lin Elliott, Eddie Murray or Chris Boniol booming a 53-yarder to win a game.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 9:38 AM (E-mail this entry)

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I'd take Roy Williams over both starting safeties in 1992 - Issiac Holt (in his last year in the league) and James Washington. Woodson was still a rookie.

There are others who come close, but I can't think of any other glaring omissions.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I agree with all of those. I would even consider Crayton as the #3 receiver over Kelvin Martin and Kevin Williams for the 1992 and 1993 seasons. Those guys do get the slight edge because they were better return men.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss;1715595 said:
I agree with all of those. I would even consider Crayton as the #3 receiver over Kelvin Martin and Kevin Williams for the 1992 and 1993 seasons. Those guys do get the slight edge because they were better return men.
Glenn as the #3?

~shudder~

Man, that would score.

Gimme some Marion Barber too as Emmitt's backup.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1715593 said:
I'd take Roy Williams over both starting safeties in 1992 - Issiac Holt (in his last year in the league) and James Washington. Woodson was still a rookie.

There are others who come close, but I can't think of any other glaring omissions.

Holt was not a starter at safety. I don't even think he played any safety. Thomas Everett and James Washington were the starters and Ray Horton was the back up. Darren Woodson was learning the position.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile;1715594 said:
This'll piss off a few, but I'd add Roy Williams as well.

nah that will probably get snickered at... when I say I might take Romo over Aikman is when the fecal matter will make contact with the wind machine

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Hostile;1715598 said:
Glenn as the #3?

~shudder~

Man, that would score.

Gimme some Marion Barber too as Emmitt's backup.

Yeah, Barber is way better than Sherman Williams and all the other Emmitt backups.

Greg Ellis is another that would fit well in that DL rotation, but it would be hard for him to beat out the '92 starters in Jeffcoat and Tolbert. Maybe by the 95 team across from Tolbert, unless you count Haley as a DE on that team.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Zaxor;1715604 said:
nah that will probably get snickered at... when I say I might take Romo over Aikman is when the fecal matter will make contact with the wind machine

A few more years of his current production, and I would take him, too.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
joseephuss;1715601 said:
Holt was not a starter at safety. I don't even think he played any safety. Thomas Everett and James Washington were the starters and Ray Horton was the back up. Darren Woodson was learning the position.

Huh. For some reason I always thought Holt was one of the starters, but I guess you're right. I watched all of the games, but I was also nine at the time.

I suppose you take Roy off, then. Kenneth "The Shark" Gant was on the team, too, and no way Roy beats him out. ;)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1715615 said:
Huh. For some reason I always thought Holt was one of the starters, but I guess you're right. I watched all of the games, but I was also nine at the time.

I suppose you take Roy off, then. Kenneth "The Shark" Gant was on the team, too, and no way Roy beats him out. ;)

Holt did start at corner for part of the regular season before Kevin Smith eventually took over.

Also, Jeffcoat was not a starter. Things are different when you are 9. I was but 7 when Dallas won SB12 and I am sure all my memories are all correct.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
joseephuss;1715631 said:
Holt did start at corner for part of the regular season before Kevin Smith eventually took over.

Also, Jeffcoat was not a starter. Things are different when you are 9. I was but 7 when Dallas won SB12 and I am sure all my memories are all correct.

Yeah, I could have named you the starters on offense, but obviously the defense I had some trouble with. So Haley started at LE, not LB, Tolbert manned RE, and Jeffcoat/Jimmie Jones backed them up? Jeffcoat had a lot of sacks for a non-starter that season (10.5).

When I think of Jimmie Jones, I always think of Brad Sham's call during Super Bowl 28... "Jimmie Jones intercepts! And rolls in, for the touchdown!" Then I think of how we had a Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, and Jimmie Jones associated with the team. All we needed was a Jerry Johnson.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1715642 said:
Yeah, I could have named you the starters on offense, but obviously the defense I had some trouble with. So Haley started at LE, not LB, Tolbert manned RE, and Jeffcoat/Jimmie Jones backed them up? Jeffcoat had a lot of sacks for a non-starter that season (10.5).

When I think of Jimmie Jones, I always think of Brad Sham's call during Super Bowl 28... "Jimmie Jones intercepts! And rolls in, for the touchdown!" Then I think of how we had a Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, and Jimmie Jones associated with the team. All we needed was a Jerry Johnson.

Haley was at right end. That is the defensive right side. Tolbert was the left end. On that call you are talking about, Haley did switch sides of the field to play LDE. They did that from time to time.

It was impressive that Jeffcoat led the team that year in sacks as the back up.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Bradie James??????/

He picks the second best ILB on this team to start over a pretty good LB in Jones?

Eddie

Reaction score
You guys have to be consistent in your analogies. You can't compare our current #1 WR with our previous #2 WR.

TO does NOT start in place of Alvin Harper. We have to match #1 with #1, and TO falls way short of Michael Irvin.

#2 Patrick Crayton can't carry #2 Alvin Harper's jock.