DMN Blog: Which Cowboys would start for '90s Super Bowl teams?

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1715820 said:
Yes, you can. The question is which guys on this year's team would start if they were on the 1990s Super Bowl teams. If Owens was on those teams, he'd start.

Throw every player on the 1992, 1993, 1995 and 2007 teams into the pot, and you'd come out with a starting lineup that looks remarkably similar to this (with Haley and Ware, I'd go with a 3-4 defense) --

QB -- Troy Aikman
RB -- Emmitt Smith
FB -- Daryl Johnston (replaced by Terry Glenn in a three-WR set)
WR -- Michael Irvin
WR -- Terrell Owens
TE -- Jason Witten
LT -- Mark Tuinei
LG -- Nate Newton
C -- Mark Stepnoski
RG -- Larry Allen
RT -- Erik Williams

DE -- Leon Lett
DT -- Tony Casillas (replaced by Russell Maryland in passing situations)
DE -- Chad Hennings
OLB -- Charles Haley
LB -- Ken Norton
LB -- Darrin Smith (replaced by Kevin Smith in the nickel)
OLB -- DeMarcus Ware
CB -- Deion Sanders
CB -- Terence Newman
S -- Roy Williams
S -- Darren Woodson

That 3-4 front 7 might be a bit light for my taste, but I'm not sure I could improve on it. Considering it's 3 years of 4-3 and 1 of 3-4 I might go with a 4-3 and use Haley and Ware at DE, both have shown being able to handle the run. Put Lett at DT thats WOW

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
L-O-Jete;1716245 said:
That 3-4 front 7 might be a bit light for my taste, but I'm not sure I could improve on it. Considering it's 3 years of 4-3 and 1 of 3-4 I might go with a 4-3 and use Haley and Ware at DE, both have shown being able to handle the run. Put Lett at DT thats WOW

Yep. The original question was "which of today's player would of started in the 90's". Since we ran a 4-3 in the 90's I'd assume that means the players from today woudl have to play in a 4-3.

Ware and Haley at DE, with Hennings and Lett at DT would be my choice.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I'm going to take a slightly different approach here. Below is the 1992 Dallas Cowboy roster from the Dallas Cowboys website. I will compare the players on the team's current roster against their counterparts on the roster below; in essence, I will be comparing Terrell Owens against Michael Irvin, not Alvin Harper, because Irvin and Owens are number 1 receivers.

1992 Roster:

OFFENSE
WR Alvin Harper
LT Mark Tuinei
LG Nate Newton
C Mark Stepnoski
RG John Gesek
RT Erik Williams
TE Jay Novacek
WR Michael Irvin
QB Troy Aikman
RB Emmitt Smith
FB Daryl Johnston

DEFENSE
LE Tony Tolbert
LT Tony Casillas
RT Russell Maryland
RE Charles Haley (13)
Jim Jeffcoat (3)
LLB Vinson Smith (13)
Kenneth Gant (3)
MLB Robert Jones (13)
Ken Norton (3)
RLB Ken Norton
LCB Isaac Holt (11)
Kevin Smith (5)
RCB Larry Brown
SS Thomas Everett (9)
James Washington (6)
FS James Washington (9)
Ray Horton (7)

In my opinion, the following current Cowboys would start for the '92 team:

On offense:
Flozell Adams over Mark Tuinei (Don't be too harsh with me. Adams played in two or three pro bowls before the age of 30, unlike Tuinei.)
Leonard Davis over John Gesek
Terry Glenn over Alvin Harper

On defense:
Demarcus Ware over Vinson Smith (Yes, I realize Ware is more comparable to Haley, but Ware is technically a LB...and a very well-rounded one.)
Brady James over Robert Jones
Terence Newman over Kevin Smith
Anthony Henry over Larry Brown

joseephuss

Reaction score
Rack;1716250 said:
Yep. The original question was "which of today's player would of started in the 90's". Since we ran a 4-3 in the 90's I'd assume that means the players from today woudl have to play in a 4-3.

Ware and Haley at DE, with Hennings and Lett at DT would be my choice.

Hennings would not be my choice at DT. Not over Russell Maryland. I would not even choose Lett as the starter. He was a perfect back up. His mental make up was more suited to come off the bench. He was probably the most physically gifted defensive lineman of those 90s teams, but he was very lacking in mental fortitude.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1716220 said:
So was Larry Brown.

Oh, this is silly.

The three most important games during Jimmy Johnson's Super Bowl years were the first 49ers championship game and the two Bills-Cowboys Super Bowls.

James Washington made critical game changing plays in each of these three most important games. The Cowboys likely lose that second Super Bowl game without Washington's plays.

While fans are busy debating whether this or that bad play is or isn't Roy Williams' fault, James Washington is making game changing plays in the biggest games.

I'd prefer the lesser player who proves reliable in making critical plays, when they mattered most, over the better player whose single greatest talent is generating debate as to whether he is or isn't responsible for critical breakdowns in the secondary. Sometimes less is more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1716184 said:
Well, you'd better go back and watch some of the 90's games again. Tolbert was the starter opposite Haley for his entire career (after he became the starter) until he retired due to bad knees. You're also wrong about Tolbert being poor against the run. He was a very good run stopper, as he was a pass rusher. Don't take my word for it. Do some research and you'll see I'm right.

When I first read this, I thought that you were mistaken so I took your advice. In fact, you are more right then wrong. Tolbert became the starter in 91. That was his first full season of starting. However, I did review his career and I have to say that I agree with you. He was better then I remember him being. He was actually decent agaisnt the run. He was always a pretty good pass rusher but the production in the running game was a surprise to me. I clearly didn't remember him being as good as he was. Not exceptional by any means. I don't think he even made a Pro Bowl but a much better player then I remember him being. My hat is off to you. I would not have know this unless you had forced me to do some research.

CoCo

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1716997 said:
When I first read this, I thought that you were mistaken so I took your advice. In fact, you are more right then wrong. Tolbert became the starter in 91. That was his first full season of starting. However, I did review his career and I have to say that I agree with you. He was better then I remember him being. He was actually decent agaisnt the run. He was always a pretty good pass rusher but the production in the running game was a surprise to me. I clearly didn't remember him being as good as he was. Not exceptional by any means. I don't think he even made a Pro Bowl but a much better player then I remember him being. My hat is off to you. I would not have know this unless you had forced me to do some research.

Posts like these renew my hope in mankind. Props to ABQ! :)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1716734 said:
Oh, this is silly.

The three most important games during Jimmy Johnson's Super Bowl years were the first 49ers championship game and the two Bills-Cowboys Super Bowls.

James Washington made critical game changing plays in each of these three most important games. The Cowboys likely lose that second Super Bowl game without Washington's plays.

While fans are busy debating whether this or that bad play is or isn't Roy Williams' fault, James Washington is making game changing plays in the biggest games.

I'd prefer the lesser player who proves reliable in making critical plays, when they mattered most, over the better player whose single greatest talent is generating debate as to whether he is or isn't responsible for critical breakdowns in the secondary. Sometimes less is more.

What's silly is thinking that any NFL coach would start James Washington ahead of Roy Williams. Washington was a BACKUP on the 1993 team. He couldn't even start ahead of Thomas Everett.

Wai, let me guess ... you'd start Everett ahead of Roy, too? Please.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zaxor;1715604 said:
nah that will probably get snickered at... when I say I might take Romo over Aikman is when the fecal matter will make contact with the wind machine

bad things man, bad things.
i see no evil, hear no evil, type no evil

:)

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Newman would tear it up with 1990s rules. They didn't even really start enforcing the 5 yard chuck rule until 1996. Bring Kevin Smith to 2007 and he gets flagged like crazy even before his injury.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Newman and Sanders would of been sick together. plus adding Woodson and Williams behind them. btw, why didnt Newman take #21? I think sum1 had that # already when he came in. (?)

joseephuss

Reaction score
kØwbØy;1717441 said:
Newman and Sanders would of been sick together. plus adding Woodson and Williams behind them. btw, why didnt Newman take #21? I think sum1 had that # already when he came in. (?)

Derek Ross had 21 when Newman joined the team.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1716997 said:

:toast2: from one Big D fan to another. Tolbert was not big by any stretch, but he was very quick and had a motor that was always running. Great type of player to have.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1717570 said:
:toast2: from one Big D fan to another. Tolbert was not big by any stretch, but he was very quick and had a motor that was always running. Great type of player to have.

He was actually a LB at UTEP. We tried him there, as I recall but he didn't work out well.

Anyway, kudos to you for getting the record straight.