WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Witten: Cowboys have no room for complaining about roles
3:35 PM Sat, Nov 22, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Here's what Jason Witten had to say Thursday -- before Part 1 of T.O.'s whinefest on NFL Network aired -- when asked if it was hard to keep No. 81 happy.

"Well, I don't think so," Witten said. "He's seeing a lot of different looks. He's creating a lot of different coverages. I think our staff, and I know Tony, a lot of what we do, we're trying to get him the ball. That's just the way game goes.

"I'd like to have more catches, too. But I mean, we're winning, you've got to put that first and understand that.

"We're trying to get him the ball as much as we can, I think. We all know that he's our playmaker, and one of them, but that's a challenge for everybody and sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you, [like] Marion running the ball 25 times, if that's what happens.

"Especially at this point of the season, it's easy [to say], 'Oh, let's try to get a few more.' At this point, being 6-4, we don't have any room for that."

Again, to be clear, Witten made these comments before T.O. and his pal Deion Sanders got after Jason Garrett on national TV. One can only imagine what Witten thought if he saw the first part of that interview.

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434877 said:

Here's what Jason Witten had to say Thursday -- before Part 1 of T.O.'s whinefest on NFL Network aired -- when asked if it was hard to keep No. 81 happy.

"Well, I don't think so," Witten said. "He's seeing a lot of different looks. He's creating a lot of different coverages. I think our staff, and I know Tony, a lot of what we do, we're trying to get him the ball. That's just the way game goes.

"I'd like to have more catches, too. But I mean, we're winning, you've got to put that first and understand that.

"We're trying to get him the ball as much as we can, I think. We all know that he's our playmaker, and one of them, but that's a challenge for everybody and sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you, [like] Marion running the ball 25 times, if that's what happens.

"Especially at this point of the season, it's easy [to say], 'Oh, let's try to get a few more.' At this point, being 6-4, we don't have any room for that."

Again, to be clear, Witten made these comments before T.O. and his pal Deion Sanders got after Jason Garrett on national TV. One can only imagine what Witten thought if he saw the first part of that interview.

any questions on why Witten is one of the most respected players in the league, and one of the fans favorite Cowboys?:bow:

bigE79

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434877 said:

Maybe T.O will read this...at least some of our players care more about winning :starspin

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Dcowboy84;2434880 said:
any questions on why Witten is one of the most respected players in the league, and one of the fans favorite Cowboys?:bow:

Well, I don't think you can compare TO and Witten. Yeah, TO is the better athlete, no doubt, but as far as Team mate and leader is concerned, no contest between the two. TO can't even hold Witten's jockstrap.

Nav22

Reaction score
Witten's right, of course.

But for as good a teammate T.O. has been since he got here, I hope this incident doesn't take away from that perception of him. If you take a glance at his numbers this year, there is no way you can blame him for being frustrated. Garrett has done an awful job for the most part, IMO, of getting him separation.

Owens is right about still being able to play... and he's also right about not having moved around like he did last year.

You could question the timing of the interview, but remember that T.O. only answered the questions that Deion asked. He might've sat down with Deion for a full hour, and only the 5 "controversial" minutes will air total (between Thursday night and Sunday morning).

He has sad all the right things up until this point, so I hope fans ease up on him a bit and give him the benefit of the doubt. All competitive playmakers, like a Rice or an Irvin or an Owens, want the ball.
Maybe T.O will read this...at least some of our players care more about winning
You can't be serious.

If the Cowboys were 8-2 or better, T.O. would be smiling ear-to-ear regardless of his numbers. He's upset because he knows we'd be in a better situation right now if he had been getting the ball the way he did last year.

It should be crystal clear to all of us by now that T.O. wants a Super Bowl win to cap off his Hall Of Fame career.

bigE79

Reaction score
Nav22;2434886 said:

But for as good a teammate T.O. has been since he got here, I hope this incident doesn't take away from that perception of him. If you take a glance at his numbers this year, there is no way you can blame him for being frustrated. Garrett has done an awful job for the most part, IMO, of getting him separation.

Owens is right about still being able to play... and he's also right about not having moved around like he did last year.

You could question the timing of the interview, but remember that T.O. only answered the questions that Deion asked. He might've sat down with Deion for a full hour, and only the 5 "controversial" minutes will air total (between Thursday night and Sunday morning).

He has sad all the right things up until this point, so I hope fans ease up on him a bit and give him the benefit of the doubt. All competitive playmakers, like a Rice or an Irvin or an Owens, want the ball.
Maybe if he would catch the damn ball when it hits him in the hands,he would have better numbers:starspin

Nav22

Reaction score
Maybe if he would catch the damn ball when it hits him in the hands,he would have better numbers
He dropped passes last year too. He's done that his entire career.

And he is undoubtedly one of the best WRs to ever play the game.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Dcowboy84;2434880 said:

yes, there are questions

bigE79

Reaction score
Nav22;2434886 said:

He has sad all the right things up until this point, so I hope fans ease up on him a bit and give him the benefit of the doubt. All competitive playmakers, like a Rice or an Irvin or an Owens, want the ball.You can't be serious.

If the Cowboys were 8-2 or better, T.O. would be smiling ear-to-ear regardless of his numbers. He's upset because he knows we'd be in a better situation right now if he had been getting the ball the way he did last year.

It should be crystal clear to all of us by now that T.O. wants a Super Bowl win to cap off his Hall Of Fame career.
BS...this was the wrong time to bring this **** up:star:

Nav22

Reaction score
BS...this was the wrong time to bring this **** up
Actually, because there are so many fickle fans like yourself, I thought it was perfect timing.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2434886 said:

He has sad all the right things up until this point, so I hope fans ease up on him a bit and give him the benefit of the doubt. All competitive playmakers, like a Rice or an Irvin or an Owens, want the ball.You can't be serious.

so now it's Garretts fault for him not getting seperation?

Nav22

Reaction score
so now it's Garretts fault for him not getting seperation?
Partially, yes.

Move him around pre-snap and defenders can't get a good jam on him. It worked like a charm last year, and we inexplicably went away from that for the majority of this year.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I dont want to say I'm worried...but I am concerned that we may try to force TO the ball in the upcoming weeks. It does not end well (See first Wash game)

I like TO as a Cowboy, and he is an immense talent, but man the guy is an idiot. An absolute idiot. Why would he say this stuff at this point in the season? Why would you create an additional distraction. Just shut up, play football to your best abilities, and try to win some ballgames.

Just another reason why I refuse/d to buy a TO jersey. The only main player on our team who's jersey I will not buy. Because of this stuff right here. Witten on the other hand...what a class act. Cant say enough about that guy. Best TE in the game, and one of the best teammates in the league.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2434934 said:
Partially, yes.

Move him around pre-snap and defenders can't get a good jam on him. It worked like a charm last year, and we inexplicably went away from that for the majority of this year.
that's T.O. getting old not Garrett's fault. John Madden used to always say he never understood why teams jammed Owens cause it never works. it's starting to work now. dude is 6'3 and a huge 220 getting jammed by 5'10 185 pound corners. that shouldn't happen.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Nav22;2434886 said:

What should be "crystal clear" is that a true team player does not whine to the media about not getting enough touches after a huge win. He's a spoiled brat that is only content when EVERYTHING is going his way. Typical sense of entitlement that we see all too often with the modern athlete. Shut up T.O. and play. And when the ball comes your way....hold on to it!!! He's such a jerk. Manages to whine about something or someone EVERYWHERE he goes. Funny how we didn't hear him complain about the exact same system last year....

Nav22

Reaction score
that's T.O. getting old not Garrett's fault.
Um...

It's Garrett's responsibility to make sure our offense is as productive as possible. T.O. is still an immense talent, and his straight-line speed is just as ridiculous as it always has been (see his TD vs. Cincinnati).

Where T.O. HAS shown his age is in the short interval game, the lateral movement/quickness aspect. So when defenders try harassing him at the line, it's tough for him to get into his "2nd gear" which separates him from most WRs.

So as the offensive coordinator, it is Garrett's job to counter this strategy. He has done an awful job, for the most part, in doing so. T.O. is right when he says we haven't adjusted.

Move T.O. around pre-snap, get him in motion so he's already been moving when the ball is snapped, and defenders CAN'T get a jam on him.

It worked last year, and we stopped doing it for most of this year. That's on Garrett.

bigE79

Reaction score
Nav22;2434926 said:
Actually, because there are so many fickle fans like yourself, I thought it was perfect timing.
what the hell is fickle about wanting the least amount of distraction for a team that needs to stay as focused as it can be to get where it needs to be,and if you cant understand, thats your problem:star:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2434946 said:
Um...

It's Garrett's responsibility to make sure our offense is as productive as possible. T.O. is still an immense talent, and his straight-line speed is just as ridiculous as it always has been (see his TD vs. Cincinnati).

Where T.O. HAS shown his age is in the short interval game, the lateral movement/quickness aspect. So when defenders try harassing him at the line, it's tough for him to get into his "2nd gear" which separates him from most WRs.

So as the offensive coordinator, it is Garrett's job to counter this strategy. He has done an awful job, for the most part, in doing so. T.O. is right when he says we haven't adjusted.

Move T.O. around pre-snap, get him in motion so he's already been moving when the ball is snapped, and defenders CAN'T get a jam on him.

It worked last year, and we stopped doing it for most of this year. That's on Garrett.
I agree Garrett is doing a poor job this year. but you act like he was moved around and put in motion all the time last year. fact is he's still a big wr who can't get off the jam now. so maybe he should just be a slot receiver? maybe he should run better routes? Owens himself part of the problem and him dogging his qbs and coaches to the media doesn't help anything.