DMN Blog: Witten: Cowboys have no room for complaining about roles

cmacch

Reaction score
Isn't anyone else FED UP with talking about T.O.??

He's got a horrible attitude. He always has. Let's leave it at that.

:bang2:

Nav22

Reaction score
Owens himself part of the problem and him dogging his qbs and coaches to the media doesn't help anything.
I don't think he has beef with Romo... it's mainly frustration with the system.

I agree that he'd be best served to avoid these sort of interviews. Even if he's right and being honest and all that, it just becomes a distraction.

All I'm saying is the guy has busted his butt, been a great leader, mentored the young guys, and has done and said (almost) all the right things since he has been here. So let's not go for his throat after one innocuous interview. We have the media for that.

Some of you guys act like we'd be better off without him, and that's just absurd. How quickly we forget the dropoff in offensive production after he went down in Carolina last year, and when he wasn't 100% for the playoff game. Even with his numbers being down this year, his presence draws multiple defenders on almost every pass play.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434877 said:
Jason Witten: Cowboys have no room for complaining about roles
3:35 PM Sat, Nov 22, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Here's what Jason Witten had to say Thursday -- before Part 1 of T.O.'s whinefest on NFL Network aired -- when asked if it was hard to keep No. 81 happy.

"Well, I don't think so," Witten said. "He's seeing a lot of different looks. He's creating a lot of different coverages. I think our staff, and I know Tony, a lot of what we do, we're trying to get him the ball. That's just the way game goes.

"I'd like to have more catches, too. But I mean, we're winning, you've got to put that first and understand that.

"We're trying to get him the ball as much as we can, I think. We all know that he's our playmaker, and one of them, but that's a challenge for everybody and sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you, [like] Marion running the ball 25 times, if that's what happens.

"Especially at this point of the season, it's easy [to say], 'Oh, let's try to get a few more.' At this point, being 6-4, we don't have any room for that."

Again, to be clear, Witten made these comments before T.O. and his pal Deion Sanders got after Jason Garrett on national TV. One can only imagine what Witten thought if he saw the first part of that interview.

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Interesting.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434877 said:

Here's what Jason Witten had to say Thursday -- before Part 1 of T.O.'s whinefest on NFL Network aired -- when asked if it was hard to keep No. 81 happy.

"Well, I don't think so," Witten said. "He's seeing a lot of different looks. He's creating a lot of different coverages. I think our staff, and I know Tony, a lot of what we do, we're trying to get him the ball. That's just the way game goes.

"I'd like to have more catches, too. But I mean, we're winning, you've got to put that first and understand that.

"We're trying to get him the ball as much as we can, I think. We all know that he's our playmaker, and one of them, but that's a challenge for everybody and sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you, [like] Marion running the ball 25 times, if that's what happens.

"Especially at this point of the season, it's easy [to say], 'Oh, let's try to get a few more.' At this point, being 6-4, we don't have any room for that."

Again, to be clear, Witten made these comments before T.O. and his pal Deion Sanders got after Jason Garrett on national TV. One can only imagine what Witten thought if he saw the first part of that interview.

Read the title then read the article and show me where Witten said anything about no room to complain.

He said he'd like ythe ball more but they are winning.

He also said TO is their playmaker and understands we need to get him the ball.

I despise sensationalism via the media.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TO is always good for a partial week's worth of crap from the 24hr sports 'news'/entertainment.

Ignore him. He has to get 4 TDs a game to be happy. And he'd likely say they still need to feed him more. He's partially right and always annoying.

bigE79

Reaction score
jobberone;2435062 said:
TO is always good for a partial week's worth of crap from the 24hr sports 'news'/entertainment.

Ignore him. He has to get 4 TDs a game to be happy. And he'd likely say they still need to feed him more. He's partially right and always annoying.
I couldnt agree more and from this point on im in game mode and even after all the crap that went on this week with T.Os ill timed comments, i still believe he will come up big this week and that after that huge win over the STINKS we are going to keep on rolling and not look back...BOYS 34 WHINERS 17:star:

bigE79

Reaction score
cmacch;2434972 said:
Isn't anyone else FED UP with talking about T.O.??

He's got a horrible attitude. He always has. Let's leave it at that.

:bang2:
+1:bow:

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
An overrated player with a big mouth is what Owens is. he's having a terrible season. a 35 year old overrated washed up player. all he does is talk. but he cant get open or catch the ball. he is a loser.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rampage;2434929 said:
so now it's Garretts fault for him not getting seperation?

It is a myth...

If TO wasn't getting separation, they wouldn't be doubling him over top. It is because he gets separation that he gets doubled n the first place.

If you look at TOs production, his numbers in terms of yards per catch are right up there Boldin, yet Boldin gets 7 YAC, with TO getting 3.7 YAC. It shows that TO is running a lot more intermediate routes, and when you run intermediate routes it is a lot easier for double-help over the top.

Garrett is doing a horrible job of getting the ball to TO with short looks. When he does give TO short passes, it is usually a screen here or there, withTO wide-out. It gives plenty of time for the CB to break on the ball and hit TO when he catches the ball. TO can't break away, because by the time the ball has come to him, the CB has already gotten a head-start. You want TO to be effective, you hit him in stride with quick slants and short passes off the line.

khiladi

Reaction score
Nav22;2434946 said:
Um...

It's Garrett's responsibility to make sure our offense is as productive as possible. T.O. is still an immense talent, and his straight-line speed is just as ridiculous as it always has been (see his TD vs. Cincinnati).

Where T.O. HAS shown his age is in the short interval game, the lateral movement/quickness aspect. So when defenders try harassing him at the line, it's tough for him to get into his "2nd gear" which separates him from most WRs.

Jason has TO running intermediate routes primarily, with very little short passes that allow TO to use his lateral quickness and movement. TO doesn't runa slant at the LOS, because the call by Garrett doesn't demand it. He runs straight downfield and then makes a cut. That straight line plays right into the hands of the CB trying to jam him. TO has to go around him, instead of a quick slant where he just hits a diagonal pattern from the beginning.

TO hasn't shown any deterioration in the short interval game, because Jason garrett isn't call plays for TO that cater to the short intermediate game... The two times he did it against the Commanders, TO had burnt Hall and was wide-open but Tony Romo screwed it up, and the second time, Tony Romo eyes him down and hit TO too late with the slant, and the CB timed the hit perfectly. Both times, TO was wide-open.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434877 said:

Much ado about nothing. Frankly, the press is continually trying to create a crisis against the Cowboys, and it really hasn't happened this year. You don't hear about this kind of stuff on the Giants, and look at what kind of distraction Burress has been to them.

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
I totally agree to what Witen had to say.
I think he is right about him being one of our playmakers and we got to give him the ball.
But i just think if we can't get to him early in the game then don't try to force anything to him.
Because it happens a lot when we try to get TO the ball.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
zeromaster;2434927 said:
Jason Witten and Terrell Owens are tied for drops with 5.

That is all.

Witten has cracked ribs. Meanwhile, according to Deion, TO is in the best health of his career.

Wood

Reaction score
What Witten says is leadership....what Owens says is child like.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Witten is the man!. He knows winning comes first and He understands sometimes you just dont put up the numbers.

Owens is a punk and I'm done sticking up for him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, if the OL will keep playing like it did vs Wash last week and Romo gets healthy, everyone's numbers will get better.

The only thing that surprises me is Owens apparently didnt consider that before complaining about the system.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dbair1967;2435798 said:
Like I said in another thread, if the OL will keep playing like it did vs Wash last week and Romo gets healthy, everyone's numbers will get better.

The only thing that surprises me is Owens apparently didnt consider that before complaining about the system.

Well Owens cares a lot about opinions. He hears and reads that he lost a step. So he has the crony in Deion, to give some excuses. He never knows and will never know how to be a team player. Its always some kind of drama.

And media loves to stir that pot, since TO takes the bait pretty darn easily. I don't think we should be suprised with him at all. Its like we expect some kind of changed person. He is what he is, regardless of what his apologists have to say.