News: DMN: Boomer Esiason: This is the only way I can see the Cowboys losing to the Packers

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The Packers only turning the ball over a single time in the past 7 games is a worrisome trait.

It one of the most likely reasons why I suspect Vegas has the Packers as only a 4.5 point underdog.

It's not like the Cowboys have been bad in this category -- they've only averaged slightly more than 1 lost turnover per game over the same amount of time.

Having said that, if the Packers end up +1 in turn-overs on Sunday then I think this becomes a 50/50 game.

It's why I am so happy that game is at AT&T instead of the frozen tundra.

That's what David Irving is for, he will flip that turnover script in Cowboys favor. :D

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Not a big Boomer fan, but he's right.

If anyone hasn't done it yet, go back and watch the condensed version of our last matchup. The facts are:

1) Our team is healthier now, and more experienced than we were then
2) The Packers are missing key players that they had then
3) We're playing at home this time
4) We are coming off a week of rest

We won that game by two touchdowns but really it could have been much worse. We basically moved the ball at will, there was only one three and out, and David Irving harassed Rodgers all day. In fact, with his penchant for holding onto the ball too long (as he did against the Giants), I expect our d-line to have a big game.

As Boomer says, the GB defense is the worst one left. I don't see how we lose without a complete self-destruction (e.g. Dak turns into a turnover machine overnight, or the Packers return two KR for TDs)

kramskoi

Reaction score
The Packers only turning the ball over a single time in the past 7 games is a worrisome trait.

It one of the most likely reasons why I suspect Vegas has the Packers as only a 4.5 point underdog.

It's not like the Cowboys have been bad in this category -- they've only averaged slightly more than 1 lost turnover per game over the same amount of time.

Having said that, if the Packers end up +1 in turn-overs on Sunday then I think this becomes a 50/50 game.

It's why I am so happy that game is at AT&T instead of the frozen tundra.
It simply doesn't mean that they won't turn the ball over in this coming game. I'm sure the 49ers didn't think they would turn it over as many times as they did in 92...nor Dallas in 94. You just don't know how this business is going to play out in the intense struggle that will come on Sunday. I don't think turnovers have anything to do with the Vegas line. Dallas was never going to be a 7 point favorite against Green Bay...that's just wishful thinking...and if they had lost to GB earlier in the year, they likely would be no more than 2 or 3 point favorite at best.

kramskoi

Reaction score

Basically, what you have...or hope to have, is a defensive performance in the first half close to what the Giants had, but with a potent, punishing offense riding shotgun. If you are going to have any chance of forcing Rodgers into a mistake, it's putting pressure on that offense to score with limited possessions. The Dallas o-line should be at its best (the second half) where the Giants were at their worst...and that is where the game will be either won or lost.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The Cowboys are playing this one at home for a reason. Team Balance. This isn't the one dimensional Giants. The Cowboys win...because they are the far better TEAM!

kramskoi

Reaction score
I predict a repeat score of the 1995 NFC Championship Game: 38-27 Cowboys.
You know, thinking about that 95 title game, one can certainly imagine a similar result, but I think that 95 team was better than the current team. They came horribly close to winning that game and they likely would have beaten Pittsburgh as well in the Superbowl...given they had already beaten them in the final week of the regular season that year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boomer's a hack. Total garbage. Why I don't listen to his show.

Hey, this is fun.

fishspill

Reaction score
Exactly. I believe we are going to impose our will.
They've got some guys that can be physical. Jones, Daniels, Guion. Don't discount what one man can do. How many on here are counting on Irving to turn Rodgers into Sanchez?

jamesdojr

Reaction score
Former NFL MVP and CBS broadcaster Boomer Esiason thinks Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers is the Dallas Cowboys' to lose.
He sees only one route for the Packers to leave AT&T Stadium with a victory.

"To me, the only the Green Bay Packers I believe can win this game is if somehow they keep the game close in the fourth quarter and they end up with the last possession," Esiason said Thursday in an interview with 105.3 The Fan.

"But I don't think it's going to be that close in the fourth quarter. I think Dallas will probably get off to a little bit of a slow start because they haven't played in about three weeks. But at the end of the day, they're just too good offensively with a big offensive line, and they should be able to maul what I think is an undermanned, undersized defense for the Green Bay Packers, especially in the secondary."

He thinks the Cowboys' offense just outmatches Green Bay's defense.

"I would think that [the Cowboys] go in very, very confidently," Esiason said. "They're catching what I believe right now could be the worst defense left in the playoffs in the Green Bay Packers."

***snip***

Continue reading...

I think the Dallas pass rush has been improving and is going to shock Green Bay. I think this D-line, led by McClain, Irving, and Mayowa, and now with Lawerence back.. is about to go off.

And if that happens, this will be a blowout and over for the Packers by the 3rd QTR.