News: DMN: Bryan Broaddus: It would be a mistake to replace Ron Leary when La'el Collins returns

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Exactly, think about the Patriots game were Hardy dominated and had opposing OL developing "Larry Allen Disease" and faking injuries to get out of facing him.

I still think the issue with Hardy was that the media circus got so intense that he cracked. And he clearly still hasn't gotten his act back together.

You were a huge advocate for Hardy, correct, Kaiser??

Hardy was blackballed by the league. Collusion, whatever you want to call it. Sue me for saying it...

Kaiser

Reaction score
You were a huge advocate for Hardy, correct, Kaiser??

Hardy was blackballed by the league. Collusion, whatever you want to call it. Sue me for saying it...

@xwalker, @bkight13 and me all said the DV charge was BS last January before he ever hit free agency and that he would be the perfect fit for the Dallas defense. And he was, but the BS 4 game suspension set him back initially. When ESPN and others went to 24/7 coverage of calling him a monster, I think he cracked. There are tons of cases of people jumping off buildings when they are falsely accused of something in the media, its a huge amount of pressure.

And Hardy wasn't a saint, he dated a nutjob way too long and clearly was around others doing drugs. But I do think he would be an All Pro for the Cowboys if he had gotten a fair shake in the media. Or in the case of most media reporters, if they had bothered to spend an hour or so reading about the case like a lot of us did here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
@xwalker, @bkight13 and me all said the DV charge was BS last January before he ever hit free agency and that he would be the perfect fit for the Dallas defense. And he was, but the BS 4 game suspension set him back initially. When ESPN and others went to 24/7 coverage of calling him a monster, I think he cracked. There are tons of cases of people jumping off buildings when they are falsely accused of something in the media, its a huge amount of pressure.

And Hardy wasn't a saint, he dated a nutjob way too long and clearly was around others doing drugs. But I do think he would be an All Pro for the Cowboys if he had gotten a fair shake in the media. Or in the case of most media reporters, if they had bothered to spend an hour or so reading about the case like a lot of us did here.
Hardy was always misunderstood........he wasn't the monster the media wanted him to be.....he was just different and a little weird but harmless imo......but no one can survive the onslaught he had to endure.....which is a shame because he was perfect for this Defense

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Hardy was always misunderstood........he wasn't the monster the media wanted him to be.....he was just different and a little weird but harmless imo......but no one can survive the onslaught he had to endure.....which is a shame because he was perfect for this Defense

So damn perfect. PERFECT

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I've had the feeling Tyrone Crawford has played better than his stats but I don't have the All-22 and lately haven't even had the time to rewatch the Tivo version of the game. But I do get the sense that our DL would be OK next year without a huge FA addition, if we just added a situational edge rusher like Gregory or Mayowa was supposed to be.
That would be, well, wrong.

You aim above Crawford level.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I was a Hardy supporter too. It is not wrong to just admit he was not the next Haley.

The media threw him off the deep end, but he had a chance to swim.

haleyrules

Reaction score

It kills me that Hardy and Garrett couldn't work it out. He is exactly the tonic this defense needed. He is he kind of DE that could lift this team into the SB.Too bad.

Zman5

Reaction score
Don't make the same mistake they made in 2009 against the Vikings in the playoffs. They replaced Free, who was playing well, with Columbo. Columbo was injured and hadn't played in 2 months and it showed. He was terrible in that game. Romo took a pounding in that game. Mostly from the guy lining up against Columbo.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
In the run game Collins plays with much more power. I re-watched both the first WAS and CHI games and Collins could be extremely impressive at times. He would look great on 3 plays and then look bad on a play. That's just too inconsistent at this level. But, he really MAULS defender in the run game.

I think Leary plays with more power in the pass pro game. And like Broaddus said, Leary is much better at picking up stunts. That may be why Collins doesn't play with as much power in pass pro...he might be unsure of himself in pass pro.

The bigger issue I would have with Collins taking over is he's likely to be rusty and he's a player that has needed to work on his technique prior to the injury. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some extra O-Linemen work and if they felt he was good in pass pro in practice for them to consider him replacing Leary. If he ever really figures it out...he could be really dominate.

I would be really curious to see him at RT as well. I think he can be better than Chaz Green.

YR

sbark

Reaction score
In the run game Collins plays with much more power. I re-watched both the first WAS and CHI games and Collins could be extremely impressive at times. He would look great on 3 plays and then look bad on a play. That's just too inconsistent at this level. But, he really MAULS defender in the run game.

I think Leary plays with more power in the pass pro game. And like Broaddus said, Leary is much better at picking up stunts. That may be why Collins doesn't play with as much power in pass pro...he might be unsure of himself in pass pro.

The bigger issue I would have with Collins taking over is he's likely to be rusty and he's a player that has needed to work on his technique prior to the injury. I wouldn't mind seeing him get some extra O-Linemen work and if they felt he was good in pass pro in practice for them to consider him replacing Leary. If he ever really figures it out...he could be really dominate.

I would be really curious to see him at RT as well. I think he can be better than Chaz Green.YR
That is where I'm at also..........now would be a great time to see if he can transition at all to RT. Now maybe they did that in his 1st training camp and just decided against it, But work him in over there beside Free in what Looney was now doing, as good of look to see if he has footwork as possible.

but no reason to shake the tree right now and move Leary........dont fix what isnt broken

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I want La'el @ TE
That would be so sweet. Get Escobar's weak *** outtta there on obvious blocking downs and slip La'el in there. What's major upgrade. Leary has earned the right to finish out the season. La'el should really work hard on his pass pro so he can slip right back in at LG when Leary gets that big FA contract from someone else.

I think it should be the end of the road for my boy Doug Free. I have seen enough this year to convince me that the RT position needs a major upgrade.