News: DMN: Bryan Broaddus: It would be a mistake to replace Ron Leary when La'el Collins returns

Eddie

Reaction score
What will it take for us to keep Leary??? $$$$$

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
It's a good point....there were people that reviewed the all 22 and said there was room but Zeke was just trying to press everything. As he has learned more about the pro game the results have been much better. I don't think that is the only thing though. Leary has played very well and deserves to keep the job.
Yea Leary has made a case for a big contract even tho the *perfect* way to manage a roster is to get some young cheap talent on the way in as soon as the highly paid vet talent is on its way out.

I love the idea of green and laael stepping in for cheap just as zach Martin commands top 3 G money. But it's become an interesting decision for them. Leary had been kind of dicked around and he's still Just 27 and he's about to get the payday of his life

Reaction score
Leary had been kind of dicked around and he's still Just 27 and he's about to get the payday of his life

I wouldn't say he's been dicked around, this is how the roster turnover works on a team drafting right. I'm sure the team would love to move Collins to RT and give the LG spot to Leary but it doesn't look like they think Collins can be as successful there.

Gameover

Reaction score
History

I agree with Broaddus

We got better the day he went down

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he's been dicked around, this is how the roster turnover works on a team drafting right. I'm sure the team would love to move Collins to RT and give the LG spot to Leary but it doesn't look like they think Collins can be as successful there.
Just saying that it's rare to have a starter benched for a rookie. Have the starter stay quiet and work on his body. And then have him come out like a pro bowler and still have questions about his next contract or starting status going toward.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Leary is foundational. Look at the line this season pre-Leary and post-Leary. If we let him walk and he goes and shores up someone else's Oline, particularly on the NFC, we will regret it.

I follow him on Twitter and he loves this team. I hope the FO tries to keep him.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Leary is foundational. Look at the line this season pre-Leary and post-Leary. If we let him walk and he goes and shores up someone else's Oline, particularly on the NFC, we will regret it.

I follow him on Twitter and he loves this team. I hope the FO tries to keep him.
It's tough i think they'd love to try their luck with laael for pennies and use Leary money on zach Martin and maybe a cliff Avril type DE

Bluefin

Reaction score
Look at the line this season pre-Leary and post-Leary.

Very true.

It is, however, necessary to point out La'el Collins probably would've improved quite a bit as the season progressed.

Let's remember, Leary couldn't even make the roster as a rookie. He then went unclaimed on waivers and spent most of 2012 on the Practice Squad before getting called up late in December when another team (Oakland?) finally wanted to sign him.

Leary is balling now, but it didn't start out well.

In comparison, Collins was much better out of the box as a rookie last year.

Leary is better right now, while Collins has the higher upside.

haleyrules

Reaction score
As both Jerry & Stephen hinted, Hardy was a terrible influence on Gregory and may have led him back to smoking weed. Hardy was habitually tardy to meetings and came
drunk or high to practice countless times. Hardy was a cancer to the Cowboys and to the development or lack of for Gregory. Good thing he's gone and facing jail time.
Interesting. I never heard any of this. Did Greg know Randy in College? Where did you gets your "facts"?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Crawford is a good player but does not play up to his 9M per season contact.

Not his fault plus he's playing injured. Also, you need another pass rusher on that line and you'll see everyone's game step up some.

I still don't know if they moved him to DE because they were not satisfied with the other DEs or if they were not satisfied with Crawford at DT. I think they did it because they had been struggling to defend the run and Crawford (As a DE) is very good against the run. At DT, Collins is better against the run then Crawford so it was a double-upgrade to move him to DE.

Not sure Collins is better and if so that much as a DT. Back to the you need more fire power on the DL theory as well. What I think you're arguing is a big DE (/DT) is not the pass rusher an edge rusher is and I agree in general. But remember you're comparing apples to oranges and the edge rusher brings getting to the QB fast on the outside and the SDE type brings the bull rush and the inside move moreso.

In regards to pass rushing, a DT/DE is probably never going to be an elite pass rusher at DE. He would be better if they had and elite RDE, but if they had that then Lawrence would move back to LDE leaving Crawford in limbo.

Again, you are thinking starters from another day. This defense and this age of football is more about snaps and matchups. There will be times a bull rusher will do better against some OTs than the edge rusher. It depends on what the OT brings to the table. Crawford matches up against Free better than Smith. Someone with lesser feet will be mismatched against the edge rusher. Someone with good feet and average or less strength and hands will fare less well against the SDE.