DMN Burnett Blog: 'Boys are Still 4-1

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2316148 said:
I think you misread. I talked about the "reaction" to the fans. They shouldn't be appeased, as you're suggesting. They should be ridiculed.

Ok I'm replying to too many threads (on two different forums) at the same time.

I'm lost.

Plus I just got back from jogging and the blood hasn't figured out how to get back into my brain yet.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:
They had a lead on the giants with 3:00 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. We made a couple of mistakes on special teams and romos interception that allowed them to keep it close and have a chance in the end.

However the giants were outplayed by the bengals. THey were losing inside of 4 minutes of the 4th qtr at home to them. The bengals screwed up their 2 minute drill and let about 25 seconds run off the clock inside the giants 25 yard line and had to settle for the chip shot FG. Had they not had confusion in the play call there is a good chance palmer throws the game winning TD.

Its pretty funny to me. The giants got credit for that win. They were told that is why they are champions because they can peservere when they dont play well and find a way to comeback and win. Cincy was missing two defensive starters that day. They played sunday. So did chris henry.

When Dallas beats them, even only by 9:rolleyes:, the whole world stops down and starts predicting doom.

We never trailed them at any point. The longest drive we gave up was 50 yards. We didnt play our best but we still won by 9. Yet it is never good enough. The media, the fans and opposing teams obsess over Dallas and every single thing they do.

Its comical to me. Giants had to come back to win and they are praised. We win by 9 against a healthier bengals team and we are now out of the playoffs and coaches should be fired.

I love it. I hope everyones fans and the media keep it up. This team has all the tools. The missing piece in the end could be the talking heads telling them what they cant do at the end of the year. I hope the nonsense continues. IF we are able to only beat the cardinal by 9 this week there will be another meltdwon. I mean, kurt warner might complete a few passes and romo might throw a few incompletions or dare I say an INT. And all the national know nothings will jump on them.

I sure hope we win these next three and the giants do to. I want the giants 7-0 with us going up there. No one will give us a chance and the giants will talk all kinds of trash. This whole season in the east is about what happens november 2nd and on. I hope everyone counts out Dallas each and every week.

:hammer:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;2316152 said:
Ok I'm replying to too many threads (on two different forums) at the same time.

I'm lost.

Plus I just got back from jogging and the blood hasn't figured out how to get back into my brain yet.
:laugh2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Just because there are fans that feel the need to have extremely high expectations doesn't mean they should expect other fans, and more importantly the players and team, to say "Oh, ok. We understand. Sorry we're not blowing everyone out and winning games like we're playing the JV Squad."

Those fans with those expectations need to just be happy to have their expectations and happily live UNHAPPY every week cause they didn't get exactly what they wanted.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Rack;2316126 said:
You're missing the whole point.

It's not about the final score. It's about how they played and how the players react to criticism from fans and media.

You need to differentiate between the two.

I agree with you on this one entirely.

Look at the Colts, they made a miraculous comeback to score 21 pts in like two and a half minutes and after the game they weren't saying, all is well, a W is a W. They were STILL disappointed with how they played, because they had to rely on the Texans making mistakes. And that's a division game for them, that was a huge win especially with their record and the Titans being undefeated.

This is a team that won a championship just a few years ago. Here we are, having not won a playoff game in a decade, doing JUST ENOUGH to get by a winless team and everyone is acting like it's a sin to not be satisfied with that.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2315751 said:
At times the defense is going to carry the offense in vise versa. Sometimes special teams will lead the way, which is why this is called a team game.

If you saw the game last night.... It did take all teams to win for the Vikings.
Offense
Defense
Specials
Zebras

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;2316165 said:
I agree with you on this one entirely.

Look at the Colts, they made a miraculous comeback to score 21 pts in like two and a half minutes and after the game they weren't saying, all is well, a W is a W. They were STILL disappointed with how they played, because they had to rely on the Texans making mistakes. And that's a division game for them, that was a huge win especially with their record and the Titans being undefeated.

This is a team that won a championship just a few years ago. Here we are, having not won a playoff game in a decade, doing JUST ENOUGH to get by a winless team and everyone is acting like it's a sin to not be satisfied with that.
The Colts should be PO'd. It's an entirely different scenario. They were lucky to win. We underperformed and still dominated.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;2316184 said:
The Colts should be PO'd. It's an entirely different scenario. They were lucky to win. We underperformed and still dominated.

We dominated? Could have fooled me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;2316201 said:
We dominated? Could have fooled me.
Not that hard. ;)

Let me ask you a couple questions. Was there ever a point where they led? Was there ever a point where you seriously thought we were going to lose the game? To me, it was never really in question. I was frustrated we were letting them back in the game. But I never said, "Oh **** the game is on the line."

To me, that's domination.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Sonny#9;2315837 said:
Just out of curiosity, did Wade Phillips write this article?

The Bengals are not a good football team. They're 19th in total defense (29th rush, 6th pass -- mostly b/c they have faced 190 rushing attempts -- most in the league), and 32nd in total offense (30th rush, 27th pass).

There is no reason this team should not have been crushed by the much more talented Cowboys. There was such a lackadaisical feel after the Boys went up 17. It almost seems as if they are believing their own press.

P.S. -- I am not trying to talk smack -- this is honestly what I see.

I don't know why you are complaining about that. That was the same thing the Eagles did when they got up by 14.

That got you the W.

Getting up early easy is one of the worst things that can happen to a team IMO.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
cowboyed;2316117 said:
Ok, I can understand teams getting up for us, but aren't they doing the same thing against the Superbowl Champ Giants who are smashing who they are supposed to smash, i.e, the Seahawks and other vulnerable teams. They sure took it to the Redkskins.

KB you are a cool football playing dude and deserve to have more reps because you are very good but I didn't know you were a serious spin doctor.

The Giants didn't SMASH Cinci.

Plumfool

Reaction score
theebs;2315862 said:
They had a lead on the giants with 3:00 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. We made a couple of mistakes on special teams and romos interception that allowed them to keep it close and have a chance in the end.

However the giants were outplayed by the bengals. THey were losing inside of 4 minutes of the 4th qtr at home to them. The bengals screwed up their 2 minute drill and let about 25 seconds run off the clock inside the giants 25 yard line and had to settle for the chip shot FG. Had they not had confusion in the play call there is a good chance palmer throws the game winning TD.

Its pretty funny to me. The giants got credit for that win. They were told that is why they are champions because they can peservere when they dont play well and find a way to comeback and win. Cincy was missing two defensive starters that day. They played sunday. So did chris henry.

When Dallas beats them, even only by 9:rolleyes:, the whole world stops down and starts predicting doom.

We never trailed them at any point. The longest drive we gave up was 50 yards. We didnt play our best but we still won by 9. Yet it is never good enough. The media, the fans and opposing teams obsess over Dallas and every single thing they do.

Its comical to me. Giants had to come back to win and they are praised. We win by 9 against a healthier bengals team and we are now out of the playoffs and coaches should be fired.

I love it. I hope everyones fans and the media keep it up. This team has all the tools. The missing piece in the end could be the talking heads telling them what they cant do at the end of the year. I hope the nonsense continues. IF we are able to only beat the cardinal by 9 this week there will be another meltdwon. I mean, kurt warner might complete a few passes and romo might throw a few incompletions or dare I say an INT. And all the national know nothings will jump on them.

I sure hope we win these next three and the giants do to. I want the giants 7-0 with us going up there. No one will give us a chance and the giants will talk all kinds of trash. This whole season in the east is about what happens november 2nd and on. I hope everyone counts out Dallas each and every week.

These are my thoughts exactly.:hammer:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;2316206 said:
Not that hard. ;)

Let me ask you a couple questions. Was there ever a point where they led? Was there ever a point where you seriously thought we were going to lose the game? To me, it was never really in question. I was frustrated we were letting them back in the game. But I never said, "Oh **** the game is on the line."

To me, that's domination.

Maybe to you, but you may have low expectations if that's the case.

The fact that our possessions in the 2nd and 3rd quarters were two turnovers and three punts against the Bengals, including two three and outs, I'd say we were far from dominating. The fact that it was even close after we hadn't given up a TD till the 3rd quarter, reinforces the fact.

It's not like the Bengals played a great game or anything.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;2316240 said:
Maybe to you, but you may have low expectations if that's the case.

The fact that our possessions in the 2nd and 3rd quarters were two turnovers and three punts against the Bengals, including two three and outs, I'd say we were far from dominating. The fact that it was even close after we hadn't given up a TD till the 3rd quarter, reinforces the fact.

It's not like the Bengals played a great game or anything.
You're not quite getting it. It's NOT about low expectations. In fact, it's about HIGH expectations. At no point in that game did I feel like we were going to lose. That's domination. There are obviously degrees of domination. But in the NFL, if you can go an entire game and not at any point have the game in question, that's domination.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
TheCount;2315906 said:
So tired of this excuse making. We have a bullseye. The world is against us. That winless team is better than their record. We are Dallas so everyone wants to beat us and we are their Superbowl. Blah, blah blah.

Step up and say, we should have crushed them and we didn't but we're 4-1 and there's still a lot of football left. Is that so hard?

We aren't trying to beat the "better than their record" Bengals here, we're trying to knock the Giants, Titans, etc off. We're after the best teams in the league, not scraping by against a team as disfunctional as the Bengals.
I should've been born in to millions, and I should've been faster in school, I should've turned the other way when I first met my ex-wife, the Cowboys should've won 4 SB in the 90s, and the Giants should've blown the Bengals out as well.

What's wrong with this world, no one is living up to expectations?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Here is the issue with the bengals game

Last week the team played with little energy or effort at home to the hated deadskin rivals which is pretty darn bad.

Then you come out the next week again at home and play the same exact way against the and 0-4 team at home. Dam right they should have crushed the hapless Bengals at home coming of a crappy performance.

Was I expecting a perfect season no I expect us to lose a tough one on the road to a division rival not stink it up at home 2 weeks in a row one team being a rival

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;2316270 said:
You're not quite getting it. It's NOT about low expectations. In fact, it's about HIGH expectations. At no point in that game did I feel like we were going to lose. That's domination. There are obviously degrees of domination. But in the NFL, if you can go an entire game and not at any point have the game in question, that's domination.

You say it's domination, I say it's not domination to be one lucky catch away from giving the other team an 0-4 team the opportunity to put together a game winning drive.

The game was very much in question up until our final score. Most games in the NFL are in question when teams can score 21 points in 2 minutes.

As long as you've been on the board and the number of arguments you've had with people here, you still fail to understand that your view of things is not the only one that is relevant or correct. Your never feeling the game was in question doesn't mean it wasn't.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He lost me when he said the Bengals were a good team. They're dreadful. They'll do well to win more than 3 or 4 games.

"But, but, the Bengals played the Giants close." It happens. What also happens is that our franchise QB and our defense are making a habit out of looking ordinary and mistake prone.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
TheCount;2317898 said:
Your never feeling the game was in question doesn't mean it wasn't.
I can't believe anyone would try to make the case that it wasn't. They had a chance to tie with 7 and half minutes left, and had the ball near FG range, down only one, with 12 minutes left.