News: DMN: Dan Le Batard: If I coached the Cowboys, 'I would've gone to Tony Romo four games ago'

cml750

Reaction score
Its like the Dak love has completely blinded some people to any sense of common sense or reality when it comes to football. I don't get it. If Dak turns things around this week great but if he stinks up the joint like he has for the last 2 - 3 games, you switch to Romo. It is common sense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We could be anywhere from 6-7 to 13-0. We've had incredible luck this season and dak followed our coaches gameplans perfectly and they milked every ounce out of his limited arm talent.

If our offense is as predictable as the last few weeks have suggested it would be great to give romo the last two games just to see.

Romo stepped aside for the team. It's time dak does the same. Why so scared he's just little old romo right?
I am a dak fan , but I think after what jerry has said, they are thinking maybe switch to romo in playoffs.
I think that is a mistake, I would play tony now, just to see how he does, against tampa, I would say dak is starting,
then trot out romo, and they would not be prepared for that at all.

So not to replace dak, but just to use tony as an advantage. and also get to field /game test him, see how he does in a real game.
If he does good, use him again in detroit, Then use both in last game with philly, and maybe both in playoffs.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Its like the Dak love has completely blinded some people to any sense of common sense or reality when it comes to football. I don't get it. If Dak turns things around this week great but if he stinks up the joint like he has for the last 2 - 3 games, you switch to Romo. It is common sense.
Because by definition...fans is a connotation for fanaticism, which is a belief or behavior involving uncritical zeal or with an obsessive enthusiasm.

plasticman

Reaction score
While the Cowboys are doing their best to tamp down any idea of another quarterback controversy in Dallas, the radio guys are having a field day speculating on when Tony Romo could or should take the starting job back from Dak Prescott.
Over at ESPN, Dan Le Batard says it should have already happened.

"I would've gone to Romo four games ago, or whenever it was that he was healthy," he said on his radio show. "I would've said bleep the winning streak. Dak Prescott did his job. Thank you very much. Tony Romo's my better quarterback. And I'm super happy that if something happens to Tony again that I will be able to bring Dak in and maybe we'll have a chance."

Le Batard maintains that Romo is the better quarterback no matter how you stack it up, unless you look at the team's wins this season, which he seems to suggest is merely and inconvenience to his point.

"The better quarterback is on the bench. There's no argument. You can't make a statistical argument that makes Dak Prescott the better quarterback," Le Batard said. "The only thing you can point at is winning, which is a pretty important thing, but it presupposes that Tony Romo wouldn't be winning like this with that running back behind him."

Le Batard says that the Cowboys have erred in getting caught up in the fun of winning football games, a key ingredient to making the playoffs.

At this point, we're giving up on trying to contextualize his arguments, so here's the rest of what he said:

"What's been happening with the Cowboys is the kind of stuff that we usually talks about when a team is undefeated and we talk about resting players, and do you want to rest them for two or three weeks to get health, but now they're going to be rusty? Rusty or rested? If you're viewing the macro instead of the micro, you don't get swept up in all that winning with Dak Prescott. Because it's not about regular-season winning. You just lost to the team that twice has gone on the road as the sixth seed to win the Super Bowl. You just lost last night to the team that has done that twice. Gone on the road and won the Super Bowl with Eli Manning. It's not about the regular season. The regular season hardly matters. First of all, Dallas doesn't have any time of home-field advantage. It's not real. Secondarily, the regular season, all you need to do in the regular season is get to the end of it with Earl Thomas healthy, with Derek Carr not having a broken fingers. You need to get to the end of the regular season with your parts functioning without losing major components."

Continue reading...

The primary task of a starting quarterback is to lead your team to victories.

Dak has quarterbacked the team to an 84.6% winning percentage

Tony Romo? 61.4%

At least this guy acknowledges that winning is a pretty vital statistic. What he hasn't acknowledged, statistically, is that the Dallas Cowboy offense has played against a top ten defense in 4 of it's last 5 games.

It would be diffucult to assign more daunting task for a rookie quarterback, to play the likes of the Steelers, Ravens, Vikings and Giants.on two weeks they will face another top ten defenae in the Lions.
That will be 5 of the past 7 games matched up against a top ten defense.

Dak and this offense is 3-1 against top ten defenses the past 5 weeks. Dak's rating for these games is 100.1. That is for a 5 game stretch in which 4 were played against a top ten defense.

Dak Prescott has played so well that during those times he has struggled he has been criticized as though he were a ten year Pro Bowler veteran. Apparently a 4-1 record isn't good enough, our 4th round rookie is expected.to consistantly play at a Hall of Fame level.

Play Tony Romo? He gives the team a better chance of winning? His December record is 18-19. This is depite the fact that he has never played a December game in a season in which the Cowboys had a losing record. The Cowboys were the first to clinch a playoff berth and Romo didnt play a single down.

The quarterback who led the Cowboys to an unprescedented 11 game winning streak and who is a top 5 vote getter for league MVP needs to be replaced according to many of you. And that is because the streak was broken...by a division rival at home in a must win situation.

Last year no quarterback could win a game. This year, a rookie quarterback couldnt win every game.

Well, I appreciate high standards. I wonder how many of you ever intend to hold Tony Romo to those same.standards because if you did, he never would have lasted his rookie season, a year in which he was never even activated for a game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't be stupid. Last year in this same offense Romo went 2-0 in games he finished and 1-1 in games he was forced out of. The only game lost with him at QB was the 2nd injury game with the Panthers. And the year before that in this offense he was 12-4.

My God the stupidity of some people on this board.
DX
My God the stupidity of people that still live in 2014.

kramskoi

Reaction score

Tony Romo? 61.4%

At least this guy acknowledges that winning is a pretty vital statistic. What he hasn't acknowledged, statistically, is that the Dallas Cowboy offense has played against a top ten defense in 4 of it's last 5 games.

It would be diffucult to assign more daunting task for a rookie quarterback, to play the likes of the Steelers, Ravens, Vikings and Giants.on two weeks they will face another top ten defenae in the Lions.

Dak and this offense is 3-1 against top ten defenses the past 5 weeks. Dak's rating for these games is 100.1. That is for a 5 game stretch in which 4 were played against a top ten defense.

Dak Prescott has played so well that during those times he has struggled he has been criticized as though he were a ten year Pro Bowler veteran. Apparently a 4-1 record isn't good enough, our 4th round rookie is expected.to consistantly play at a Hall of Fame level.

Play Tony Romo? He gives the team a better chance of winning? His December record is 18-19. This is depite the fact that he has never played a December game in a season in which the Cowboys had a losing record. The Cowboys were the first to clinch a playoff berth and Romo didnt play a single down.

The quarterback who led the Cowboys to an unprescedented 11 game winning streak and who is a top 5 vote getter for league MVP needs to be replaced according to many of you. And that is because the streak was broken...by a division rival at home in a must win situation.

Last year no quarterback could win a game. This year, a rookie quarterback couldnt win every game.

Well, I appreciate high standards. I wonder how many of you ever intend to hold Tony Romo to those same.standards because if you did, he never would have lasted his rookie season, a year in which he was never even activated for a game.
Romo's record in December of 2014...with the current o-line, a potent RB and the same receivers was perfect (4-0) and the Dallas offense averaged 41.25 points per contest in those wins...with a winning margin averaging 21.5 points. The difference which you simply fail to comprehend is that Romo is not Bledsoe circa 2006. The guy was injured coming off his best ever statistical season as a quarterback.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Tony Romo? 61.4%

How is Stephen mcgee doing nowadays?

jmnichols75

Reaction score
I know the argument this guy is trying to make. But, apparently, he isn't the guy to make it. Jeez. What a rambling bunch of crap. I recognize that he is doing a radio show and filling air...and that that doesn't translate well I to printed quotes. But, still...

I do agree with his ultimate point though. I've always believed Romo should start once healthy. But, I was also willing to put some faith in the coaching staff to evaluate what we don't/can't see when making the decision. Things like locker room environment, morale, thorough and complete practices, film breakdown, and other "big picture" things. However, the least had to be short if Dak couldn't kick it up notch for the stretch run and playoffs. I think he's actually kicked it a notch down.

THIS IS NOT AN INDICTMENT OF DAK PRESCOTT. He is a rookie with an elite (or, to be fair to the skeptics, very close to elite) QB on the bench behind him. It always had to be a possibility that if Dak follows the pattern that the overwhelming majority of all rookies follow and regresses at times, shows an inability to step it up at others, etc., that Romo is there. This doesn't mean that Dak is a bad QB, hasn't done a good job, is incapable of ever doing a good job again, won't improve, and isn't the future of this franchise. It's just the harsh reality of the moment.

If time can force Romo to acknowledge that his time IS winding down in this league (and he did so with class) because of his age or injury history, then Dak can be asked to understand that there is the possibility his time may not quite be now. I'm it saying it isn't. I'm just saying that if he continues to struggle, we do have a healthy all pro on the bench. The team can't be AFRAID of using him based on fan reaction, media commentary, or even locker room popularity.

One more game (maybe even half if Dak stumbles badly) and it may be time for Romo. As a fan of the Cowboys, I don't care if it's Mark Sanchez, Kelley Moore on crutches, or a guy they pull from the second row of the stands...just do what gives this team the best chance to win.

jmnichols75

Reaction score
I dont understand you people, nothing against Dak, but you guys make this as if he is the Jesus himself ..( sorry no offense) , the winning streak is a by product of OL, running game and decent QB play and aggressive opportunistic defense. Why couldnt have Romo pulled it off, is he is healthy?

With Romo, I think we're still at 11-2. I think we WIN both Giants games, but probably drop a game or two like the Eagles or Steelers games.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
I know the argument this guy is trying to make. But, apparently, he isn't the guy to make it. Jeez. What a rambling bunch of crap. I recognize that he is doing a radio show and filling air...and that that doesn't translate well I to printed quotes. But, still...

I do agree with his ultimate point though. I've always believed Romo should start once healthy. But, I was also willing to put some faith in the coaching staff to evaluate what we don't/can't see when making the decision. Things like locker room environment, morale, thorough and complete practices, film breakdown, and other "big picture" things. However, the least had to be short if Dak couldn't kick it up notch for the stretch run and playoffs. I think he's actually kicked it a notch down.

THIS IS NOT AN INDICTMENT OF DAK PRESCOTT. He is a rookie with an elite (or, to be fair to the skeptics, very close to elite) QB on the bench behind him. It always had to be a possibility that if Dak follows the pattern that the overwhelming majority of all rookies follow and regresses at times, shows an inability to step it up at others, etc., that Romo is there. This doesn't mean that Dak is a bad QB, hasn't done a good job, is incapable of ever doing a good job again, won't improve, and isn't the future of this franchise. It's just the harsh reality of the moment.

If time can force Romo to acknowledge that his time IS winding down in this league (and he did so with class) because of his age or injury history, then Dak can be asked to understand that there is the possibility his time may not quite be now. I'm it saying it isn't. I'm just saying that if he continues to struggle, we do have a healthy all pro on the bench. The team can't be AFRAID of using him based on fan reaction, media commentary, or even locker room popularity.

One more game (maybe even half if Dak stumbles badly) and it may be time for Romo. As a fan of the Cowboys, I don't care if it's Mark Sanchez, Kelley Moore on crutches, or a guy they pull from the second row of the stands...just do what gives this team the best chance to win.
Great post! You said that beautifully. I agree with everything you said 100%. It will be interesting to see how this team handles things if Dak doesn't step it up and he continues his rookie struggles. If he bounces back this Sunday, then great. Keep it going. If not, and it's more of the same Dak from the last couple of games, then it's time to make a change before we lose ground on this playoff run.

plasticman

Reaction score
Romo's record in December of 2014...with the current o-line, a potent RB and the same receivers was perfect (4-0) and the Dallas offense averaged 41.25 points per contest in those wins...with a winning margin averaging 21.5 points. The difference which you simply fail to comprehend is that Romo is not Bledsoe circa 2006. The guy was injured coming off his best ever statistical season as a quarterback.
And what you fail to comprehend is that this is 2016.

Tony Romo has been injured three times in his last 93 snaps. Even when he came back each time he has looked erratic.

Apparently you beleive that it's only a fair comparison if Tony Romo competes under the same circumstances as a rookie. Just like 2014, he simply must have the NFL's leading rusher, the best offensive line in the game, and future Hall of Fame receivers. Otherwise, the team didnt do enough for Tony and when the team hits that divisional round wall with Tony as the starter, well then, it's not his fault.

This team is not better with Tony starting over Dak.