DMN: Did Jerry Let A Great Head Coach Get Away?

boyzjunkie

Reaction score
Based on what a lot of you guys are saying about losing Tony Romo............ Any one notice the Patriots? They have been without their starting qb for the whole season. And their backup had no experience. Yet they have only lost a couple of games.

I think Bill Belichick / Wade are the difference. Doesn't matter how smart Wade is. He does not inspire confidence in me. Maybe he does for guys. But not me.

Kilyin

Reaction score
boyzjunkie;2403577 said:
Based on what a lot of you guys are saying about losing Tony Romo............ Any one notice the Patriots? They have been without their starting qb for the whole season. And their backup had no experience. Yet they have only lost a couple of games.

I think Bill Belichick / Wade are the difference. Doesn't matter how smart Wade is. He does not inspire confidence in me. Maybe he does for guys. But not me.

That would be a valid comparison if we'd just lost Tony Romo. This team has been decimated by injuries. Not to mention, I'd take Cassel over Johnson or Bollinger.

And I don't know that I'd call Wade Phillips smart.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
The last guy standing between Wade Phillips and the head coaching job was Ron Rivera. Jones already landed Garrett (Remember him?? The "Vunderchild", next "great genius offensive mind" who had a whopping 2 years QB-coach-in-Miami resume'???), and wanted a defense-guy to balance it out.
I guess I could Google it, but I don't even know where Rivera is now..........
But, I know where he should be (as I advocated for back then, LOUDLY).
I never understood all the hoopla over Phillips hiring to begin with. Where's the BEEF??????
Bad hire. Jerry got just what he wanted and paid for. Two "yes" men. One, a young, unqualified kid with a pedigree-coaching name and a career backup player.
The other? A guy around the league to long to justify his output. Another "pedigree" coaching name, but little to show for all the chances he's been afforded. A decent DC at best. In fact, the most success he's ever had (or will ever have) was as the DC in San Diego. A phantom year that landed him on our doorstep.
What a shame and what a waste of talent......................

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Parcells has produced some pretty good coaches. That can't be denied.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Kilyin;2403694 said:
That would be a valid comparison if we'd just lost Tony Romo. This team has been decimated by injuries. Not to mention, I'd take Cassel over Johnson or Bollinger.

And I don't know that I'd call Wade Phillips smart.

My god we agree on some thing.;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2402596 said:
Yes he did.

I would love for our head coach to run this team the way Sparano runs his.

Coach Parcells may have "run down" the team, but he has the Dolphins clicking on all cylinders.

========

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano stays vocal even in good times
Tony Sparano is following the lead of some great NFL coaches who were most critical of their teams when they were winning.

BY DAVID J. NEAL
dneal@MiamiHerald.com
It's one of the paradoxes of coaching, especially in professional sports: often, sideline and bench jockeys need to go to the whip more when their teams are winning than when they're losing.

The Dolphins have had ''Victory Mondays'' the past two weeks, off days that, combined with their usual Tuesday off, mean they don't have to be back in the Dolphins facility until Wednesday's practice. That's about the only rest they can expect this week from a coaching staff that remembers its first two-game winning streak this season resulted in a week of good feeling and losses to Houston and Baltimore.

And there's the same good feeling around the Dolphins now that they're back to .500 at 4-4 and have home games against 2-6 Seattle, 2-6 Oakland and New England minus Tom Brady. Much as players say they don't pay attention to the media and fan noise, it's too incessant not to read or hear in the tone of interaction with reporters and fans.

This is what worries coaches.

''I want to see absolute attention to detail and focus right now,'' Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said. 'We've been down this road before. We've won two games and we kind of drank the Kool-Aid a little bit and then we lost two of them. Now we've won a couple, so we can't do that. We can't worry about everybody telling us `what a good job you did' right now. We need to keep our head down and really keep swinging.''

Fans, especially those who love to live vicariously through emotional coaches verbally eviscerating athletes, might be surprised how many Hall of Fame coaches were bigger yellers in the good times than in the bad.

'DON'T LET UP'

Vince Lombardi, who valued exhaustive preparation over great motivation, would drop the volume a notch in favor of more teaching during the rare Green Bay rough streak. So did John Madden when he coached Oakland in its glory days, back before he became a broadcaster and a video game title.

''As a coach, when your team starts a streak going, you don't let up,'' Madden wrote in One Knee Equals Two Feet. 'Instead, you've got to be tough. You've got to be just the opposite of the way the players are. When your team wins two or three in a row, the players' friends tell them how great they are. But that's when you've got to pound that work ethic into them. If they win the next game, they'll accept it again the following week. But even before you see them trying to slide, that's when you've got to whap them back into line.''

Conversely, Madden said, ``When we were on a losing streak, I'd try to be gentle with my players. Well, not exactly gentle but I'd try not to get upset, not to get angry. When you're angry, you say things you don't mean. And when your team is losing, angry words hurt and form scars.''

Of course, Madden's Raiders didn't lose very often and expected to be in the Super Bowl every year -- they won one Super Bowl and reached the AFL/AFC title game six other times in Madden's 10 seasons. There were no one-win seasons or six-season playoff droughts that allowed two-game win streaks to create a glorious feeling among friends and fans.

Still, the Dolphins' brass has denied throughout 2008 that this season would be just about regaining respectability.

IN THE MIX

''Every team goes into a new season thinking, obviously, the best,'' Sparano said. ``We went into the season feeling like we had just as good of a chance to put ourselves in the mix as anyone else did. I don't know right now whether or not that's where we are, but I know is that today we wake up and we're one of 15 teams right now that have four or five wins in this league. We just kind of threw ourselves into the middle of something here, and all we've done right now is create an opportunity to have a real big game at home this week.''

I miss those days *sigh*

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Sparano is proving to be a solid NFL coach. Payton is hit and miss, always puts up great offensive numbers, but D still sucks and is about as successful in the playoffs as the old Parcells.

The coach that I regret losing is David Lee. Lee was not only Tony Romo's mentor, but it was Lee (not Sparano, not Henning) who turned the NFL on its ear this season with the implementation of the Wildcat formation. To a lesser degree (not by much), I miss Steve Hoffman. Hoffman was a kicking genius.

khiladi

Reaction score
yesfan;2400219 said:
I don't know about great yet, but the Dolphins went to New England
and Denver and won.Take a look at that game and see how they gave
up just 14 yards in the running game.They also beat San Diego and Buffalo.
They're playing good football and they're young and really have no superstars.

Denver is sucking up the joint right now, just like the Cowboys... and they played New England when their QB was stinking up the joint. San Diego flat-out sucks this year nd is in turmoil.

Buffalo... they are decent...

And it is a flat-out joke to think our OL was better with Sparano... It was criticized when Bledsoe was quarterback and it folded in december last year, and got decimated by the Giants in the second-half of the play-offs..

khiladi

Reaction score
boyzjunkie;2403577 said:

He was sucking it up in beginning... It took time for the Cassell to actually settle down and bring the Patriots out of their funk...

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2400352 said:
Actually, I stand corrected .. .Todd Haley is coordinator of the #2 offense in the NFL in total yards.

He's actually coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL in points scored.

You mean he had to get out of the shadow of Bill Parcells to actually do well?
What did he do when he was under BP?

BTW, they have two of the best receivers in the game, a QB that throws like a mad-dog, and a damn good running back... It is called talent...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
another kick to the nutts of us fans.

Don't tell Tony Sparano you're hurt

November 5, 2008 10:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

DAVIE, Fla. -- Under Cam Cameron last year, the Miami Dolphins finished with a 1-15 record and 15 players on injured reserve.

How has new head coach Tony Sparano motivated his players to four times as many victories as they had all last season?

The implied threat of getting axed if players can't stay on the field.

Daily injury reports frequently have been blank this year. Cornerback Michael Lehan, signed to a two-year extension in February and projected as a starter, had his locker taken away two weeks ago when he was placed on IR (although Lehan's teammates react as though he has been cut).

Dolphins outside linebacker Joey Porter, who battled back problems throughout training camp, was a guest at WQAM radio host Jim Mandich's weekly Touchdown Club luncheon. He told Mandich, a tight end on the undefeated 1972 team, what it's like to be hurt on a Sparano-coached team.

Guys come in and you get banged up a little bit in camp. And you tend to try and nurse injuries a little longer in training camp because you know how long training camp is. So guys get a hamstring pull, and they want to make that hamstring last three weeks.

He's on you. He's like 'You have two days left, or we're going to do something different.' That's his exact words he's going to tell you. That's his philosophy, no matter who you are. He'll come and tell you right now 'You're on borrowed time. You only have two days left. If I don't see you out there in two days we're going in a different direction.'

All of a sudden that hamstring is ... You know what I mean? Look at our injury report. Nobody's hurt. You go out there and break your knee, just put some ice on it and say 'I'm good to go.' Guys are scared to get hurt right now because the revolving door on Tuesday.

Tuesday is our day off, and guys don't even want to come in on Tuesday because you might go to work on Tuesday and he'll cut you. He's cutting somebody every day. Every Tuesday somebody gets cut. So I think he made it more competitive like that.

He made you respect your job. I think that's what we lost a little bit last year, and guys just didn't understand how lucky it is to be in the NFL, to have this opportunity that we have. Those guys that took advantage of it aren't here anymore.

He came in the first day and he brought out a notebook that was about that big and that was our injury report. Now our injury report is like a piece of paper. It's got probably two names on there. He just wiped out everybody that was going to act like they were hurt and just kept the real guys that we needed. And I definitely give him a lot of credit for what we are doing now.

Tony Sparano, Joey Porter, Cam Cameron, Miami Dolphins

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
If you put the Miami Dolphins in the NFC east, they would be 2-6 right now.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
don't forget that sparano has parcells behind him to help....BIG difference.....I think Parcells shoulda stayed.....I know he wanted to leave on his own but i REALLY think he would have won the superbowl last year!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
boyzjunkie;2403577 said:

Thats because their backup has physical abilities.

Brad Johnson has 0.

We would've came out better if we had someone who was capable of being an NFL QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Z mann R2;2404748 said:
don't forget that sparano has parcells behind him to help....BIG difference.....I think Parcells shoulda stayed.....I know he wanted to leave on his own but i REALLY think he would have won the superbowl last year!

Parcells would've reigned in the offense and thats our biggest strength.

With the defense playing like it does we would have no shot if Parcells held us back offensively.

And as bad as you guys say Wade is on Defense Parcells defenses were much worse from a X's and O's standpoint.

Parcells could get in their head a little more, and he could acquire talent like no other, but once the team was built he would just hold them back.

Ren

Reaction score
Time will tell, Sean Payton looked like another one but after last season and half of this he's not looking all that great anymore