DMN: Did Jerry Let A Great Head Coach Get Away?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2400194 said:
Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody thought Sparano was really all that at the time. And the Dolphins aren't exactly world beaters. Would anyone be surprised if they don't make the playoffs? Yeah, I know, expectations, blah, blah, blah. It's too soon to make Sparano out as some kind of genius who will be great for years to come. It's also too early to write the Cowboys off as everyone has. It will be that much sweeter when we get it together and turn this season around.

actually Sparano has been called one of the brightest young assistants for awhile now

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's pretty speculative, but I do question if he would have had success here for the reasons Chief outlined. What's not speculative is that there's no question Sparano got a lot more out of this offensive line than Hudson Houck has.

FWIW, speaking of former coordinators doing well, Todd Haley is also currently the offensive coordinator of the #2 offense in the NFL. One that pretty much embarrassed Wade's defense head to head.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2400303 said:
It's pretty speculative, but I do question if he would have had success here for the reasons Chief outlined. What's not speculative is that there's no question Sparano got a lot more out of this offensive line than Hudson Houck has.

FWIW, speaking of former coordinators doing well, Todd Haley is also currently the offensive coordinator of the #2 offense in the NFL. One that pretty much embarrassed Wade's defense head to head.

could really use his fire

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
QuanTran;2400217 said:
Wasn't Jeff Fisher interested in the job when we had the great fortune of landing Wade?

I didn't ever hear that and given the fact that he was under contract to the Titans I don't know that they'd have appreciated him saying that.

That said if there was actually a sliver of a chance that he wanted to be here and we missed out on it that's too bad cause I really like Jeff Fisher.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2400327 said:
could really use his fire

He was mean to Terrell Owens.

And you dont cross owens here, because if you do Jerry Jones drops the hammer on you.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2400341 said:

And you dont cross owens here, because if you do Jerry Jones drops the hammer on you.
Some may like this but... :fact:

~leaves thread~

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Actually, I stand corrected .. .Todd Haley is coordinator of the #2 offense in the NFL in total yards.

He's actually coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL in points scored.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here believes Eric Mangini (however you spell his name), Sean Payton, Romeo Crennel, and Marvin Lewis are all outstanding coaches too. I mean, after all, they all have had one good year too. They must be geniuses.

How about you wait and not only see how the rest of his first season plays out but also how he does in his second and third years when the expectations are much higher than that of a team coming off of being 1-15 and when they're not sneaking up on everyone they play.

Then we'll have an actual accurate picture of whether he's good or not. Right now we don't know anything other than he's turned a really bad team, that had zero expectations, into a decent team and has beaten some decent teams.

New England is a nice win but lets not be stupid here. If Brady plays they don't get within 30 points of the Pats.

The Chargers win is meaningless, at this point, cause they seem to be highly over-rated anyway. They've lost more than they've won as it is, i believe.

Then they have a win over the middle of the road Denver team who couldn't stop you and I from getting over a hundred yards rushing or recieving against them.

The win over Buffalo was pretty impressive though.

That would be offset though by a loss to an average Jets team and a loss to a really piss poor Houston team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2400380 said:
I'm sure everyone here believes Eric Mangini (however you spell his name), Sean Payton, Romeo Crennel, and Marvin Lewis are all outstanding coaches too. I mean, after all, they all have had one good year too. They must be geniuses.
They aren't connected to Bill Parcells, though.

So no, they aren't geniuses like Tony Sparano.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2400387 said:
They aren't connected to Bill Parcells, though.

So no, they aren't geniuses like Tony Sparano.

Mangini and Crennel are from the Parcells' coaching tree...

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Sparano is great now after a 4-4 record?

Umm...ok.

And Houck, a respected assistant for years, sucks now because he has had BJ as QB for three games, has an injured Flozell who basically can't use one arm, and has Proctor sucking like he normally does?

I remember Sparano sucked too with Bledsoe at QB.

Umm...ok.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
theebs;2400341 said:

It wasn't that simple.

If Sparano has not gone to Miami he would've gone to one of several other teams. I'm sure after our season last year, you weren't ranting and raving for Tony to get the job. It would've been stupid to let go of a 13-3 coach, right? Jerry can't win either way.

If this season goes to ****, I'm not too concerned about the next 5 years - we've stockpiled depth and young 'talent'. Although I'm scared to throw that word around, we've made some really good moves under Jerry's meddling.

Terrell Owens perhaps being one of the very best. As painful as that may be for some fans to admit.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2400392 said:
Sparano is great now after a 4-4 record?

Umm...ok.

And Houck, a respected assistant for years, sucks now because he has had BJ as QB for three games, has an injured Flozell who basically can't use one arm, and has Proctor sucking like he normally does?

I remember Sparano sucked too with Bledsoe at QB.

Umm...ok.

it's the player's fault then

but how come Miami is only 1 win worse than us? you think they have similar talent as this team?

who was 0-16 last year again? did they improve the talent that drastically in one offseason?

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2400408 said:
it's the player's fault then

but how come Miami is only 1 win worse than us? you think they have similar talent as this team?

who was 0-16 last year again? did they improve the talent that drastically in one offseason?

If Chad Pennington, Ricky Williams, Will Allen, and their starting left guard all got hurt - then maybe they.... Nevermind.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2400453 said:
If Chad Pennington, Ricky Williams, Will Allen, and their starting left guard all got hurt - then maybe they.... Nevermind.

Sparano has gotten his team to play

has Wade?

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2400456 said:
Sparano has gotten his team to play

has Wade?

I thought it was common knowledge amongst fans that Wade Philips really doesn't play much of a role in our team's success. He's just kinda there. Garrett scores all the points, and he hopes to keep them under 24. With Romo hurt, all we realized is that we aren't the Ravens or Steelers - our defense isn't going to win us many, if not any games down the stretch.

btcutter

Reaction score
Until Sporano wins a playoff game +/- a SB, don't even bother bring his name up.
There is a HUGE difference between coaching a team with 1 win last yr vs a team with 13 wins. The expectations are vastly different in Miami and Dallas. It's not even close in ANY yr.
There is a gap between coaching a losing team to become a winning team, another gap between winning coach and playoff coach and lastly a playoff coach and SB winning coach.
Sporano is at a tier even below Wade Philips until he proves otherwise.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I don't mind coaches leaving for better positions and such. Fresh start where he gets along with the players and other coaches etc., BUT, It seemed they were all "welcomed" away and good riddance. Now let's get back to running this team mah way.