News: DMN: Ex-NFLer on how Cowboys should approach QB situation when Tony Romo is ready to come back

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you wait and see if Tony can survive a practice before you think about replacing dak. Of course if Dak wins every game, Tony grabs some pine. When you miss as many games as he has the automatic starter tag goes out the window.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I find the hypotheticals amusing. "If the Cowboys are 5-3..." That is just silly. The Cowboys won't play 8 games before he comes back. Six max, likely 4 or 5.

jday

Reaction score
No. Tony plays when he's ready. Regardless
I think so too. Simply put, if Romo is physically able, he is a coach on the field and gives Linahan limitless options. BUT, which Romo from 2014 do we get: 49ers or the Romo that faced any team after game three? Can we afford to lose 2 games while he ramps up? Can the coaches tell in practice that Romo may struggle when bullets are live? Because I suspect they will to a fault avoid benching Romo in favor of Dak; IF Tony struggles.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I think so too. Simply put, if Romo is physically able, he is a coach on the field and gives Linahan limitless options. BUT, which Romo from 2014 do we get: 49ers or the Romo that faced any team after game three? Can we afford to lose 2 games while he ramps up? Can the coaches tell in practice that Romo may struggle when bullets are live? Because I suspect they will to a fault avoid benching Romo in favor of Dak; IF Tony struggles.
That's my fear as well. The rust.

Aven8

Reaction score

I think so too. What happens? I mean he hasn't played football since last Thanksgiving for crying out loud. He played what a series in the PS? The game will be fast for him as great as he is. I fear if they are 5-3 he might screw it up for a game or two anyway until he gets his football legs back.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Jason, too, Steve. He is a thinker. But Tony's going back in when he's healthy.

Gabe

Reaction score
There is zero doubt, anything above .500 you let Dak continue. Romo doesn't have it anymore as evidenced by not staying on the field a whole year since 2012. Last year as his age started to show his numbers fell off a cliff. I can repost if anyone wants to see them.

Now he is older, even more injury prone, less mobile and is looking like Marino's last season. If Romo were to ever take us to the next level... After 13 tries you KNOW he would have already done it. It's Dak Attack time from here!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think so too. What happens? I mean he hasn't played football since last Thanksgiving for cying out loud. He played what a series in the PS? The game will be fast for him as great as he is. I fear if they are 5-3 he might screw it up for a game or two anyway until he gets his football legs back.

This is what I'm afraid will happen too. That there might be a dip in Tony's level of play where he's rusty, and it starts up a legit controversy.

Gabe

Reaction score
This is what I'm afraid will happen too. That
There is also the possibility his numbers dip like they already did last season. Not due to rust... But based on the fact that he should have already retired. I don't mean this as slam on Romo, but there comes a time when your level of play slows down tremendously. I think we've already seen that in Romo's case.

Craig

Reaction score
Prescott would have to make massive strides to have this even be considered.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
When he is cleared to play he will play, but I bet when ever he does get cleared to play it would have been sooner if Dak was not on the team.

I think the pressure on these Doc's is huge.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys are evidently in good hands with Dak displaying the poise and accuracy of someone chosen much sooner in the draft. Jerry and Tony would likely be well advised to wait until he is 100% ready to re-enter the football fray. Putting Tony back in if he's anything less than 100% could do him and the team a serious disservice, in addition to putting his welfare at risk for the remainder of his life after football.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is also the possibility his numbers dip like they already did last season. Not due to rust... But based on the fact that he should have already retired. I don't mean this as slam on Romo, but there comes a time when your level of play slows down tremendously. I think we've already seen that in Romo's case.

I doubt it, but maybe. But I do think we're going to find out as soon as he's healthy enough to play.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Steve Tasker: It depends on what they did the last three games of that eight games. How Dak's playing. Are they progressing? Are they getting better or are they just kind of hanging on by their fingernails?
That is the key, to simply go back to Romo regarless, is dumb, and it should depend on how dak and team are playing and if they are winning.
Another key is how dak does against cin and GB.