News: DMN: Ex-NFLer on how Cowboys should approach QB situation when Tony Romo is ready to come back

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think so too. What happens? I mean he hasn't played football since last Thanksgiving for crying out loud. He played what a series in the PS? The game will be fast for him as great as he is. I fear if they are 5-3 he might screw it up for a game or two anyway until he gets his football legs back.
yes that is what happened in Carolina game last year, he threw what 2-3 ints, before getting hurt. and scored no points.
Tony should take the year off and come back next year. That time off could allow him to heal up good and play few more years.
Use the time to get in shape.
This isnt a SB year, our defense isnt good enough.

weaver21

Reaction score
yes that is what happened in Carolina game last year, he threw what 2-3 ints, before getting hurt. and scored no points.
Tony should take the year off and come back next year. That time off could allow him to heal up good and play few more years.
Use the time to get in shape.
This isnt a SB year, our defense isnt good enough.

Tony isn't going to give up on the season. The fact that he's in his late thirties means he wants to play as much as possible before he hangs it up. Us fans can say our defense is garbage and isn't going to get us anywhere, but Tony will not do that. Regardless of what people feel about him, the man is a warrior and a competitor and I would be stunned to see Romo just waste another year in his career to get healthy when he knows he doesn't have much time left on the field.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Here's what's going to happen:

Romo--the most prolific and highest rated passer in Cowboys history--is going to start when he's healthy. And he'll continue to start until (God forbid) he gets injured again or he proves to be worse than Dak.

Deal with it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Tony isn't going to give up on the season. The fact that he's in his late thirties means he wants to play as much as possible before he hangs it up. Us fans can say our defense is garbage and isn't going to get us anywhere, but Tony will not do that. Regardless of what people feel about him, the man is a warrior and a competitor and I would be stunned to see Romo just waste another year in his career to get healthy when he knows he doesn't have much time left on the field.
yes I know and he will play this year, but the smart thing would be not to play and get healthy, and in shape, and that would help him
play better next year and for more years to come.
he and jerry can think short term or long term, it is up to them.

Brady thinks long term, stays in shape throws quick to avoid the hits.

Reaction score
I think so too. What happens? I mean he hasn't played football since last Thanksgiving for crying out loud. He played what a series in the PS? The game will be fast for him as great as he is. I fear if they are 5-3 he might screw it up for a game or two anyway until he gets his football legs back.

yes, very tricky situation. Ideally Tony would get a "tune up" game when he comes back but there will be pressure to bring him back in against the Bengals or Packers because, undoubtedly, the offense will need to open it up and score 30+ if they are to have a chance at winning,,, and if he is rusty it will kick all the Romo haters into gear. "Bench Romo! He sucks!"

Optimistically though, it would be a glorious return if he comes in and lights up the Bengals/Packers. QB controversy /over.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
yes, very tricky situation. Ideally Tony would get a "tune up" game when he comes back but there will be pressure to bring him back in against the Bengals or Packers because, undoubtedly, the offense will need to open it up and score 30+ if they are to have a chance at winning,,, and if he is rusty it will kick all the Romo haters into gear. "Bench Romo! He sucks!"

Optimistically though, it would be a glorious return if he comes in and lights up the Bengals/Packers. QB controversy /over.

It's worth risking a game with "rusty" Tony in order to potentially get a much higher payoff. Besides, even the "rusty" version of Tony can likely manage 0TD, an 80 rating, and dinking and dunking to wide open Witten/Beasley all game long...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Brady thinks long term, stays in shape throws quick to avoid the hits.

The system right now requires quick reads and less slower developing patterns at least from what I have seen.

That has to continue under Romo.

Plumfool

Reaction score
If The team is winning and they have momentum,what's best for the team needs to be weighed very heavily. To bring back Romo as the starter could cost teams wins and positions in the playoff race. If you're not 100% sure that Romo is at his best, then Dak is the best option. You don't mess with what's working just to avoid hurt feelings.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I think so too. Simply put, if Romo is physically able, he is a coach on the field and gives Linahan limitless options. BUT, which Romo from 2014 do we get: 49ers or the Romo that faced any team after game three? Can we afford to lose 2 games while he ramps up? Can the coaches tell in practice that Romo may struggle when bullets are live? Because I suspect they will to a fault avoid benching Romo in favor of Dak; IF Tony struggles.
One of the biggest benefits of Dak is I think the coaching staff will feel no need to rush if Romo shows he's rusty. Good place to be.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ride with Prescott. Romo can't hold up anymore. It's time we turn the page and hate him.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I honestly don't care if they ride with Dak or put Romo back in there. But that decision better be Jason Garrets and his alone. If I hear Jerry talking our ears out the week before his return I'm going to throw up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The upcoming game vs. the Bears will be a pivotal one for Dak and the C'boys team as a whole. Dak must establish himself further as the up and coming hot hand that holds great promise to put the Cowboys on a winning path. If Prescott is able to accomplish such success now and in the upcoming contests, there shouldn't be any rush to bring Romo back into the fray until such time as he's definitely 100%. Pay heed, Jerry . . .

As I'm using the word pivotal in terms of this contest, it means exactly that, for the benefit of both Prescott, Elliott and the entire team as a whole. Godspeed, Cowboys -- the time is ripe for a truly dramatic turnaround. This team is potentially on the verge of a new era. They've simply got to seize the most opportune time to make it happen. In no uncertain terms, I truly believe that time is now!

Last edited: