News: DMN: Former NFL GM: Cowboys have to be watching Dak Prescott thinking, 'Do we have a...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The thing I've liked most about his play in these last games is how he's able to dump of the ball with pressure in his face. Really negates the blitz when you can do that with consistency.

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
TBH I don't want a Russell Wilson, I want a Dak Prescott. I want him to be his own QB with his own style. I hate how people are always trying to place a label on a player because of a certain play style. "Oh he's the next Adrian Peterson," or "He's very much an RG3 type QB." I'm guilty of it too, comparing players now to players of the past, but let the guy form his own identity.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
High praise coming from Casserly as he usually doesn't want to say anything good about a Dallas players. Or it seems that way more often than not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We'll see how this season unfolds. He might get his chance sooner than we'd like.

But at least for now we might have not only a backup we can win without Romo with but our future.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
TBH I don't want a Russell Wilson, I want a Dak Prescott. I want him to be his own QB with his own style. I hate how people are always trying to place a label on a player because of a certain play style. "Oh he's the next Adrian Peterson," or "He's very much an RG3 type QB." I'm guilty of it too, comparing players now to players of the past, but let the guy form his own identity.

I get what you're saying but you gotta admit he's looked a little like Russell Wilson on steroids this pre-season. Similar playstyles with Prescott having superior physical ability.

If Prescott gets the mental side of this game down like Wilson has then he could be that type of player.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
We'll see how this season unfolds. He might get his chance sooner than we'd like.

But at least for now we might have not only a backup we can win without Romo with but our future.
This. I think hes going to be really good. Could well be the next in line to join the QB legends of the Cowboys. Staubach, Aikman, Romo. But its only preseason. He hasn't taken a snap yet in a regular season game. Hopefully he can sit this year, play in mop up duty and learn and then next year or the year after take over from Romo. He will lay an egg here or there, but he has the potential to be as good as any of the other QB listed in this post. Hopefully we can get Romo a ring and Prescott can take over a superbowl caliber team and add to the trophy collection at the star. Hes going to be good for sure, just how good is the question that only he can answer, in time.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Most underated QB since Wilson. I watched him kill my team in college.(UK)He took that team and carried them. No line. No receivers.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
His accuracy has been extremely impressive, regardless of competition and schemes he's up against. At very least this team has a potential starting qb on there hands which is all you can ask from a fourth rounder.

Daillest88

Reaction score
It's all about the hands lol. Gotta say he's got some long fingers. But he does have a strong arm. That pass to Butler was beautiful. 63 yards?? That's crazy

Edit: dang! I didn't know his hands are 10 7/8 inches.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Man, can't we just be happy with Dak's success so far and leave it at that? This could be a longer term godsend for the franchise. Could be.

On the radio yesterday they were saying that even Dak knows that as well as he's played, he has had some good fortune. Ran the wrong way 4 times already on various plays. There was a pick...not showing up in the stats. Threw another one that was broken up. Ran into his own guy. I think we all get that he's playing lights out given anyone's expectations, but he has not been perfect. Nor has anyone, for that matter. The coaches are probably happy about that, so they have something to talk about in the film room. :)

Charlie's hype was a bit over the top though.. A "bazooka"? His arm strength is generally described as better than average or maybe good. Never "a rocket" or :cannon"...just plenty good.
Not that you ever need to throw it that far in today's NFL--and that bomb was good but admittedly underthrown by a few yards--but a ton of starting NFL QBs can heave it 63 yards in the air when they step into like that.
For example, nobody would describe Romo's arm as a bazooka..lol..yet he has thrown it in the air further than that a few times in games. So, that was a bit much, Casserly.

He's right about the poise though. very impressive. They were saying yesterday that even on the busted plays he ends up making something out of it.
Sounds familiar, actually.

I looked at his college interception stats. The trend has been clear. He has become more and more efficient over time.
The guy learns fast too. He was an all-academic SEC player, btw.

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Man, can't we just be happy with Dak's success so far and leave it at that? This could be a longer term godsend for the franchise. Could be.

On the radio yesterday they were saying that even Dak knows that as well as he's played, he has had some good fortune. Ran the wrong way 4 times already on various plays. There was a pick...not showing up in the stats. Threw another one that was broken up. Ran into his own guy. I think we all get that he's playing lights out given anyone's expectations, but he has not been perfect. Nor has anyone, for that matter. The coaches are probably happy about that, so they have something to talk about in the film room. :)

Charlie's hype was a bit over the top though.. A "bazooka"? His arm strength is generally described as better than average or maybe good. Never "a rocket" or :cannon"...just plenty good.
Not that you ever need to throw it that far in today's NFL--and that bomb was good but admittedly underthrown by a few yards--but a ton of starting NFL QBs can heave it 63 yards in the air when they step into like that.
For example, nobody would describe Romo's arm as a bazooka..lol..yet he has thrown it in the air further than that a few times in games. So, that was a bit much, Casserly.

He's right about the poise though. very impressive. They were saying yesterday that even on the busted plays he ends up making something out of it.
Sounds familiar, actually.

I looked at his college interception stats. The trend has been clear. He has become more and more efficient over time.
The guy learns fast too. He was an all-academic SEC player, btw.

I think maybe what we need to recognize is that Dak was under valued by scouts. He's an African American QB who doesn't completely fit the typical scout's schema. Physically he's adequate but he's not off the charts. He excels mentally and in leadership. That's just not the story scouts expect or are used to telling.

I see a good bit of Romo in him. Physically similar although Dak can do much more running. Smart. Leader. Doesn't seem to have as much of the gunslinger streak so far.

Yet people are all over the McNabb and Wilson comps.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
The thing I've liked most about his play in these last games is how he's able to dump of the ball with pressure in his face. Really negates the blitz when you can do that with consistency.
For sure. In his first game against the Rams he threw a beauty to Beasley, right in the spot the corner pressure had come from. Not the same as D lineman in your face creating pressure I suppose, but a good indicator nonetheless

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Completely reminds me of McNabb. I'm most impressed by his poise. The game does not look too big for him. Not at all.