News: DMN: Former NFL GM: Cowboys have to be watching Dak Prescott thinking, 'Do we have a...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think maybe what we need to recognize is that Dak was under valued by scouts. He's an African American QB who doesn't completely fit the typical scout's schema. Physically he's adequate but he's not off the charts. He excels mentally and in leadership. That's just not the story scouts expect or are used to telling.

I see a good bit of Romo in him. Physically similar although Dak can do much more running. Smart. Leader. Doesn't seem to have as much of the gunslinger streak so far.

Yet people are all over the McNabb and Wilson comps.
true.

It's hard to pinpoint Dak athletically.

Coming out, some were saying Tim Tebow. I'd mentioned before, that it may have hurt his draft position given Tebow's results.
They had some similar qualities and came from similar offense with somewhat similar SEC results. But Dak's passing mechanics were much better.

Surprisingly to some, Tebow was the bigger, stronger, and faster athlete. All of his measurables--height, weight, speed, vertical, 3 cones, etc--were superior to Dak's.
Dak's measurables are just not all that. between the ears, though...he could be special.
6'2
225-230
4.79 forty
7.11 3 cone
32 in vertical

and a guy like Russell Wilson is just far faster
Wilson runs a4.55 forty with a higher vertical and better 3 cone.

Dak does have intangibles, and those can be so hard to measure.

Reactions: BAT

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
TBH I don't want a Russell Wilson, I want a Dak Prescott. I want him to be his own QB with his own style. I hate how people are always trying to place a label on a player because of a certain play style. "Oh he's the next Adrian Peterson," or "He's very much an RG3 type QB." I'm guilty of it too, comparing players now to players of the past, but let the guy form his own identity.

I never understand these hot takes. Players model their games after professionals who come before them...like all the time....in like...every sport.

Believe it or not grouping similiar athletes is not an insult. Many professional player development coaches actually give homework to a lot of players that is around scouting someone who possess similar gifts and play styles.

Also, practicaly speaking, what does "I don't want a Russell Wilson, I want a Dak Prescott" even mean? You don't want one of the best QBs in the NFL who is one of the highest rated passers while being one of the game's most dangerous rushers? You don't want a Superbowl champion?

No instead you'd be content with rolling the dice on a guy who doesn't have 4 full quarters of NFL action under his belt?

If you told me I could lock in Dak Prescott as a Russell Wilson clone right now. I'd pay good money to do that.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I like that fact that when he does break the pocket he does not try to do too much, he realizes that his run needs to end and he slides. Many young mobile QBs tend to try and eek out that last inch and get destroyed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would say Dak is stronger than Wilson.
I would say no way. Wilson is a beast in the weight room.

But that's splitting hairs and in unimportant. So I'll not argue it. Both are strong guys for QBs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I would say no way. Wilson is a beast in the weight room.

But that's splitting hairs and in unimportant. So I'll not argue it. Both are strong guys for QBs.

I don't know for sure either. I'm just guessing based on his height and weight.

Eddie

Reaction score
I'm glad Dak is making this season a bit more exciting. Let's see him under real fire.