News: DMN: Gosselin: Why I think the Cowboys have to draft a defensive player if they don't take a QB

NewsBot

Reaction score
*** Message was removed by demand from DMN ***

Last edited by a moderator:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This is one winning formula. Not taking a QB in the first is risky but not the end of the world. They can look 2-3 and they can even take a flyer on a later drafted one.

Taking a QB at #4 is less risky up front but may be just as big a risk in the long run.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's good reasoning behind deciding on Bosa with the 4th pick in the draft. Stephen Jones agreed with that assessment, according to several scribes who got this straight from his mouth. Dallas' most desperate need, aside from their QB dilemma, is for an outstanding DE to be groomed under Marinelli. That's a nice advantage to have if you're a DE with his credentials. Daniel Jeremiah also mentions Bosa as the player who best fits the Cowboys' most pressing needs. If he's still available, chances appear great that they'll look to him upon electing to pass on a QB in round one.

Last edited:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Columnist Rick Gosselin recently held a chat to talk all things D-FW sports. Here are some highlights:
Question: First, put on your Jerry Jones mask here. Now, with Robert Griffin III being released today, do you try to snatch him up ASAP?

Gosselin: My guess is Griffin will first take a look at what teams would be willing to give him a chance to start. So the Cowboys would not be in that first wave of considerations. Secondly, I'd be surprised if the Cowboys are in the mix. Griffin hasn't played at a winning level since 2012 and hasn't thrown a pass since 2014. This is a quarterback that needs to be rebuilt both mentally and physically. The Cowboys need a quarterback who can step in for an injured Romo and win now. I would think a Colt McCoy or a Chase Daniel would be less expensive but still attractive options.

Question: Do you think the Cowboys should go defense for the draft if they don't go quarterback?

Gosselin: I think they have to go defense if they don't go quarterback --do not think they will go QB. This defense ranked 25th in the NFL in sacks and last in takeaways a year ago. Denver just won a Super Bowl with defense. If you can't compete on defense, you can't compete for championships. This unit is desperate for playmakers. Subtract Greg Hardy and I think the Cowboys need to find about 20 sacks this offseason. If they took an outside pass rusher in the first round and an inside pass rusher in the second, that'd be just fine with me. I think you can find corners and safeties with ball skills in the middle rounds. But the pass rush is the most pressing need this offseason. The draft would be the place to start finding it.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL CHAT

Continue reading...

from just the 2 showing...outside of fans and media speculation i've heard nothing about RGIII in dallas. of course it makes big headlines and hell, CLICK BAIT!!! LOOK AT ME I SAID RGIII AND THE COWBOYS!!! WOOP WOO....

p.

could he play here? as well as any other backup i suppose. once he knew his fate in washington he shut up for the most part and did damage control knowing he'd likely get another starting shot elsewhere. this is not indicative of his skills but the lack of skills league-wide at the position. he's not my choice to come here but mostly because of the media getting just stupid nasty crap**** with their clickbait to see how many fans "get sucked".

we know who those are cause they wear those articles like armor in here touting the skills of their player.

that said, a rookie won't help us win now WHEN romo goes down, but the trick is now the jones' think romo will go. they may go ahead and stay generic crap at 2nd qb. all of this leads into this annoying reality tv entertainment vibe of the 4th pick and how can we build it up?

so as far as qb, many say we won't have this option to get a STAR qb again. they're right. i hope. being wrong on that one is another crap season. your mindset tells you that if you roll the dice with romo, gambling he'll be fine then it just doesn't matter what you do as backup. you pick a good backup to be there and go with it and let the road unfold before you around that, or you pick your rookie and let him come in and start getting his reps and let the QB controversy begin.

now - that leaves us no better off in knowing what the cowboys will do. *I* would take a qb and begin that road *and* get the best backup i could. does that help us WIN NOW? certainly not. and i take the hit of not having a SURE FIRE CAN'T MISS MARIO WILLIAMS AT THE TOP OF THE ....

wait, he missed too, didn't he?

going one direction or the other is a choice to be made, sure. but at this point there is no right choice only right choices to support that direction. so saying we take a pass rusher and improve our D sounds do deja vu.

all over again.

which brings me to the wonderful nugget of hope here in that if we don't draft a qb, we do D.

really? musta stayed up late analying that one. our OL is pretty much set and not needing a 1st round pick. check. WR? could use help but no, not gonna do it in the 1st. RB? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... so yea, D is about all we can focus on should we not go QB.

the way we run our D i'm inclined to go the linebacker kid and solidify that group. i've seen what a healthy Lee can do and it's a game changer. we have to count on lawrence, go ahead and resign hardy and then take the LB and continue to massage these choices.

but then again i'm taking the QB so i don't worry too much about the D. but if they decide on a QB in later rounds, i'm fine with that too. who are the names expected to go in rounds 3-5?

Sydla

Reaction score
There's good reasoning behind deciding on Bosa with the 4th pick in the draft. Stephen Jones agreed with that assessment, according to several scribes who got this straight from his mouth. Dallas' most desperate need, aside from their QB dilemma, is for an outstanding DE to be groomed under Marinelli. That's a nice advantage to have if you're a DE with his credentials. Daniel Jeremiah also mentions Bosa as the player who best fits the Cowboys' most pressing needs. If he's still available, chances appear great that they'll look to him upon electing to pass on a QB in round one.

Dallas' most pressing need is a pass rushing freak. It's why they took a chance on Hardy and then went after Gregory when he slipped.

It's unclear if Bosa is really that quick twitch, pass rushing freak. I struggle with the logic in taking a strong side defensive end at 4.

superonyx

Reaction score
We need to stop blaming our defensive ends for our lack of sacks...everyone wants to be the Seahawks and Broncos on defense....who wouldn't?
Let's open our eyes and realize that the reason great defenses get pressure on the QB is not because they have all world DE's....it's the system of pressure which causes confusion on the offense and waves of pressure coming from many different angles...our system and play calling on Defense is why year after year we struggle to get high sack numbers. You can bring in the 2 best DE's over the last 10 years and we will still be in the bottom half of the league in sacks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The upside of not having a QB of the future or a pass rush is that you could reasonably take either at #4 and not have it be a dumb move.

I still take the QB if the guy I like is there, though. Mostly because I don't like the pass rush options all that much.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm willing to pick a quarterback and let him sit. But if we don't do that, Ezekiel Elliott is the surest thing in this draft. Pass rushers don't just take the NFL by storm in their rookie season. So I wouldn't expect anything from Bosa or Buckner the first year, even if they live up to their expectations by year two. I say go with the proven guy. If you can trade down and get, Elliott, fine. But if not, let's go ahead and take him and give our offense and defense a weapon. Then use the rest of our picks on defense (except the one we will use to take Dak Prescott in the fourth).

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We need to stop blaming our defensive ends for our lack of sacks...everyone wants to be the Seahawks and Broncos on defense....who wouldn't?
Let's open our eyes and realize that the reason great defenses get pressure on the QB is not because they have all world DE's....it's the system of pressure which causes confusion on the offense and waves of pressure coming from many different angles...our system and play calling on Defense is why year after year we struggle to get high sack numbers. You can bring in the 2 best DE's over the last 10 years and we will still be in the bottom half of the league in sacks.

I couldn't disagree more. You need athletes then they need coaching. Schemes don't work without athletes.

superonyx

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. You need athletes then they need coaching. Schemes don't work without athletes.

So if we had the Seahawks athletes on the DL of Bennett, Rubin, Mebane and Avril then we would suddenly be in the top of the league in sacks?
or the Panthers awesome combo of Addison, Lotulelei, Short, and Ealy we would be near the top of the league in sacks and pressure?
Or maybe the Broncos combo of Wolfe, Williams,and Jackson?

I agree that you need athletes...Maybe we have athletes. Maybe the coaching combined with scheme is what we are lacking.
I don't see the best defensive teams out in a non stop desperation mode year after year chasing pass rush through defensive ends.

silver

Reaction score
I’d rather resign Hardy than pass on Goff/Wentz at #4. Yes we need pass rushers, (who doesn’t?), but we are a Romo-landing-wrong-again, away from blowing the season once again. The FA options at QB are not the answer, neither short nor long term. Might as well grab a QB of the future at #4. That future might not be too far down the road considering Romo's health or lack off thereof.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
People talk about needing a DE for Marinelli to develop. What about Lawrence and Gregory?

They need to take a franchise QB or the best player available. There are plenty of holes to fill and this draft is deep at DL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
So if we had the Seahawks athletes on the DL of Bennett, Rubin, Mebane and Avril then we would suddenly be in the top of the league in sacks?
or the Panthers awesome combo of Addison, Lotulelei, Short, and Ealy we would be near the top of the league in sacks and pressure?
Or maybe the Broncos combo of Wolfe, Williams,and Jackson?

I agree that you need athletes...Maybe we have athletes. Maybe the coaching combined with scheme is what we are lacking.
I don't see the best defensive teams out in a non stop desperation mode year after year chasing pass rush through defensive ends.

I'm not in love with our current scheme of shooting gaps. Neither is Marinelli. He is on record as wanting to run more of a defense like Seattle and that would be great. The problem is we don't have the athletes to do that.

I think we could be more versatile with Hardy and TCrawford as the DTs then work out from there. We'd still need good outside rush. We need another edge rusher.

bodi

Reaction score
outstanding job of reporting

what a scoop

got a clue there Gosselin

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
This is one winning formula. Not taking a QB in the first is risky but not the end of the world. They can look 2-3 and they can even take a flyer on a later drafted one. Taking a QB at #4 is less risky up front but may be just as big a risk in the long run.
Takes a qb at 4 is just as risky especially with these 3 qbs. None of them were slated to go high except lynch while the games were played. The other two rose once the games stopped being played. I don't like that kind of rise and that's risky

Last edited: