News: DMN: Gosselin: Why I think the Cowboys have to draft a defensive player if they don't take a QB

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Takes a qb at 4 is just as risky especially with these 3 qbs. None of them were slated to go high except lynch while the games were played. The other two rose once the games stopped being played. I don't like that kind of rise and that's risky

I agree with you about the risk. I was wary of them all so I took a look at them. Hardly a comprehensive exhausting study but I saw enough of all three to think they can be serviceable at the least.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
This is one winning formula. Not taking a QB in the first is risky but not the end of the world. They can look 2-3 and they can even take a flyer on a later drafted one.

Taking a QB at #4 is less risky up front but may be just as big a risk in the long run.

to me taking a CB at 4 is so much more riskier than taking a QB. There is years of evidence to indicate that drafting a CB in the first round of the draft has not worked out well for Dallas. FA CBs have not worked out well for Dallas. Lower round CBs have played marginally better than higher round draft choices in Dallas as have UDFA and waiver wire and practice squad players have played better at CB in Dallas than have first round draft picks.

conner01

Reaction score
If we pick at 4 and it's not a QB then I think pass rusher will be the pick
Now if we don't take a QB we may very well not pick at 4 and if we trade down I think Zeke is in the mix. But we certainly need to load up on defense no matter what we do with the first pick and that one pick won't define the draft

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
to me taking a CB at 4 is so much more riskier than taking a QB. There is years of evidence to indicate that drafting a CB in the first round of the draft has not worked out well for Dallas. FA CBs have not worked out well for Dallas. Lower round CBs have played marginally better than higher round draft choices in Dallas as have UDFA and waiver wire and practice squad players have played better at CB in Dallas than have first round draft picks.

Not sure how we two got to CBs but its germane. I don't know if the recent past history of Dallas' drafting DBs is predictive of future failure. I'd say no but you have a right to be concerned.

I believe you get a playmaker anywhere you can. I also think you go after strong long DBs who can cover well enough and can TACKLE. Those guys can be had in the 2nd round down esp 3-5.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I agree with you about the risk. I was wary of them all so I took a look at them. Hardly a comprehensive exhausting study but I saw enough of all three to think they can be serviceable at the least.

But at 4 overall they better be more than serviceable

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Not sure how we two got to CBs but its germane. I don't know if the recent past history of Dallas' drafting DBs is predictive of future failure. I'd say no but you have a right to be concerned.

I believe you get a playmaker anywhere you can. I also think you go after strong long DBs who can cover well enough and can TACKLE. Those guys can be had in the 2nd round down esp 3-5.

I think Dallas is they get a de in fa they go jack or trade down. I think Ramsey goes 3 to sd

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Jenkins, Claiborne, Jones and Carr..... if you add Ramsey, that's another CB who did have interceptions last yea!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dallas' most pressing need is a pass rushing freak. It's why they took a chance on Hardy and then went after Gregory when he slipped.

It's unclear if Bosa is really that quick twitch, pass rushing freak. I struggle with the logic in taking a strong side defensive end at 4.

Bosa isn't a quick twitch DE but has plenty of strength and the motor to improve their pass rush on the strong side. Of course, it's still to be proven if Lawrence is capable of distinguishing himself working in the RDE slot. Emmanuel Ogbah may be better suited to man the right DE spot but isn't a sure thing to be any better than Bosa on the left, nor any more effective, according to scouts. I wouldn't mind seeing Ogbah getting drafted by Dallas but it would mean retaining Lawrence on the left side which might not be where he is best utilized.

Let's also recall that Gregory is still firmly in the Cowboys' plans on the right side as well, so the need for someone like Bosa, who is well suited to play LDE at a high level is there. I think he possesses a degree of size and strength that Lawrence lacks to man the LDE spot. I also think Lawrence has the kind of quickness necessary to do very well on the right side.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Not to derail this thread, but I think Rod and his defensive scheme has not done the team any favors when it comes to turnovers and sacks. I don't think it matters who they draft if Rod doesn't put the players in a position to make plays. One thing the defense needs is much more speed . If they go defense, I hope they go with speed.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Welcome to the party Gosselin. Everybody and their brother have the Cowboys going defense if they don't take a QB.

It's basically been narrowed down to QB or Bosa, Ramsey, Jack, Buckner on defense for weeks now. Only offensive non-QBs even mentioned are Elliot and Treadwell and I don't see us taking either of them at #4.

garyv

Reaction score
Agree with Goose on this one. In the early 90's one player made the biggest difference in Winning Superbowls and that was Charles Haley.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
People talk about needing a DE for Marinelli to develop. What about Lawrence and Gregory?

They need to take a franchise QB or the best player available. There are plenty of holes to fill and this draft is deep at DL.

This draft is only deep in interior DL, not on the edge.