News: DMN: Herm Edwards: Morris Claiborne is making excuses; his job is to play corner period

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Herm Edwards will probably talk trash about the Cowboys for the weekend NFL predictions. I just hope the Cowboys beat Denver and make him eat every word.

aint gonna happen unfortunately. We will lose by at least 21 points. Peyton has denver playing in post season form and we are still in training camp.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Cover 2 zone corners are supposed to press and disrupt the route.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to beat Denver and then be consistent and not lose to teams that they should beat. Then the criticism will stop.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I like Herman Edwards....maybe not as a coach but he is entertaining....Miracle in the Meadowlands....great moment in NFL history.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Cover 2 zone corners are supposed to press and disrupt the route.

We don't play a true Cover 2 though. We play mostly a cover 3 or a cover 2 Sink....the traditional cover 2 has the corners in the flats, pressing the WR and passing him off instantly while watching a RB in the flats.

A sink, you follow the WR for about 5-10 yards watch the comeback routes while still coming up fast to tackle the RB in the flats.

I think we are playing more cover 3 though

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Morris Claiborne's reasoning is perplexing

IRVING, Texas -- Morris Claiborne, the second-year cornerback for the Cowboys, says he’s not making as many plays as he did before because of a scheme change.

It sounds more like excuses.

"Now we're basically a zone team,” he said on his weekly ESPN Dallas radio show on 103.3 FM on Tuesday night. “You have to play within that zone. Everything is new to everybody. When guys come in and hit those big dig routes in between the zones, then of course the corner's there, so they're going to say, 'Oh, yeah, that's the corner.'

"It's still a transition. When we were in press, just faced up man-to-man, they only hit one ball on me. But overall, I think all my big plays come within the zone."

"I feel like it's high, but it's not where it needs to be to be able to play corner," Claiborne said. "We're not the type of team that we were last year. We're not assigned [receivers] and you go wherever he goes, you follow him wherever he goes, and that's your man. We're not in that. We don't do that anymore.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...aiborne-with-perplexing-answers-for-poor-play

I think they need to change the wording for Mo so he can understand..tell him the following. Play man against anyone in your area (leave word zone out) until they leave your area. I'm eating crow for thinking Scandrick was expendable now I'm über happy he is starting.

T-RO

Reaction score
Which is most wheel's off?
A. The owner's son (!?) calling out players.
B. A player blaming the defensive scheme
C. The ill-advised Tampa zone scheme itself being brought to Dallas when Ryan's scheme was great
D. A premium #1 draft pick playing like a third stringer?

T-RO

Reaction score
We don't play a true Cover 2 though. We play mostly a cover 3 or a cover 2 Sink....the traditional cover 2 has the corners in the flats, pressing the WR and passing him off instantly while watching a RB in the flats.

A sink, you follow the WR for about 5-10 yards watch the comeback routes while still coming up fast to tackle the RB in the flats.

I think we are playing more cover 3 though

Good info!

DABOYZ

Reaction score
And why does Herm Edwards keep believing he has the right to be critical of anyone? He was an utter failure as a head coach.

This response is so typical of the new crybaby Cowboy's way. Herm is 100% right, Mo needs to put up or shut up. There is no such thing as having a right to your opinion it's called free speech. The difference between Herm and you is he gets paid to give his. Stop the crybaby homer talk already. Some people get so butt hurt over opinions.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Morris Claiborne's reasoning is perplexing

IRVING, Texas -- Morris Claiborne, the second-year cornerback for the Cowboys, says he’s not making as many plays as he did before because of a scheme change.

It sounds more like excuses.

"Now we're basically a zone team,” he said on his weekly ESPN Dallas radio show on 103.3 FM on Tuesday night. “You have to play within that zone. Everything is new to everybody. When guys come in and hit those big dig routes in between the zones, then of course the corner's there, so they're going to say, 'Oh, yeah, that's the corner.'

"It's still a transition. When we were in press, just faced up man-to-man, they only hit one ball on me. But overall, I think all my big plays come within the zone."

"I feel like it's high, but it's not where it needs to be to be able to play corner," Claiborne said. "We're not the type of team that we were last year. We're not assigned [receivers] and you go wherever he goes, you follow him wherever he goes, and that's your man. We're not in that. We don't do that anymore.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...aiborne-with-perplexing-answers-for-poor-play

Ok so let me get this straight here. People are complaining because Mo is basically saying he is a better man corner and he is more comfortable doing that. It's the same damn thing that 90% of the fans have been saying! He and Carr are man/press corners they are not zone corners why can't they play them how Seattle plays their guys? Why are we jumping on Mo for speaking the truth that we've all been saying? It's like the same 5-7 of you that just complain about every little thing. You guys need a life seriously you guys take things way to seriously. I agree with Mo he is a better man corner and I thought they were going to play like Chicago and Seattle which makes sense.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Which is most wheel's off?
A. The owner's son (!?) calling out players.
B. A player blaming the defensive scheme
C. The ill-advised Tampa zone scheme itself being brought to Dallas when Ryan's scheme was great
D. A premium #1 draft pick playing like a third stringer?

So now Ryan's scheme was great? You guys crack me up.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Herm Edwards is nobody. When a real coach like Jimmy Johnson speaks then it is worth listening.

T-RO

Reaction score
So now Ryan's scheme was great? You guys crack me up.

I never stopped believing Rob was a great guy for the job. Now he's knocking it out of the park for the Saints--who were dead LAST (32nd) in defense last year. That man's a football coach and we fired him for a 73-year old.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
I never stopped believing Rob was a great guy for the job. Now he's knocking it out of the park for the Saints--who were dead LAST (32nd) in defense last year. That man's a football coach and we fired him for a 73-year old.

I thought Rob had issues, but if you are a team that preaches "process" then you better give a guy and a system more than a season.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

I guess you can never get worse than dead last. Ryan has never produced a top 10 D and he never will.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Herm Edwards is a creeper.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I’m with Mo. I think the scheme sucks. I hate these soft zones. Easy pitch and catch.

The soft zone seems to really suck for Mo, who has allowed a 107 QB rating, less so on Carr's side of the field with a 63 rating.