News: DMN: HOF coach Dungy outlines how he beat rookie QBs

dallasdave

Reaction score
I sure hope people don't turn on Dakota if he doesn't play well against the Giants or in the games he starts. Hope they will remember he is a rookie and has a lot to learn. As long as he shows glimpses and progression, I'll be ok.

Would love for him to help win games without Romo and expect that Dallas does win games. I just don't expect it to be because of Dakota. #TemperedEnthusiasm
Right, stick together, tell em the horsemen way !!! Whooo !!!!!!

kevm3

Reaction score
One of the reasons I think qbs taken in later rounds or even later 1st round qbs do better than top ten qbs is that they often aren't on bad teams. A lot of times they end up on teams with a lot of talent just looking to shore up on the qb position and plan for the future. Even with all of those losses we took last year, a lot of them were close games. This is NOT a 4 and 12 team talent-wise. Most rookie qbs are high rounders that come into a team with bad coaching, no offense and they are getting ping ponged due to a bad offense.

I believe that Dungy strategy would work wonders against a lot of rookies not coming into the situation Dak is coming into, but Dak is coming into the unique situation of having arguably the most talent on offense in the league surrounding him. You have what is essentially 4 1st rounders on O-line (I consider Collins a 1st rounder that we managed to luck out on).

Honestly, what may stop Dak more than anything is if the coaching tries to baby him and have him be a game manager. They need to do with Denver just did with their QB... Dak needs to be allowed to play as if Romo is never coming back and this is his team now. In other words, he needs to be allowed to make mistakes and to air the ball out. Don't turn him into a dink and dunker like they did with Weeden.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Dungy's right.

Dak will struggle if he has to throw all game.

Our only hope is that Zeke and Morris can keep the offense out of 3rd and long and make things tougher on the Giants D

It will be key that they use Zeke as a receiver at times and let him exploit the Giant defense in space to keep them honest.

Dak has the "it" factor but only time will tell this tale. I expect him to play better than many are expecting running this particular offense.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yeah, but for the most part they didn't have the offensive support Dak's going to have.

I agree, though, we should have invested more heavily in improving the defensive talent this offseason.
I think a better comparison would be hoping he has a similar rookie debut to Cam Newton. Carolina defensively was behind the offense at that point, and they were scoring.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well Simiean isnt technically a rookie, but he is a 7th round pick? that has never played a regular game,
and he did pretty good in the game last nite against Carolina.
That was against maybe the 2nd best defense, so it is very possible Dak can do the same or better.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Well Simiean isnt technically a rookie, but he is a 7th round pick? that has never played a regular game,
and he did pretty good in the game last nite against Carolina.
That was against maybe the 2nd best defense, so it is very possible Dak can do the same or better.

Dak will have to be a lot better for us to win. We don't have Denver's defense to bail us out.