News: DMN: HOF coach Dungy outlines how he beat rookie QBs

aikemirv

Reaction score
My opinion is that if they load the box early then you put your QB in a position to succeed early by throwing the ball in those situations. If you throw it early with success then their gameplan goes out the window. With the nice deep ball Dak has shown in preseason I don't see the Giants loading the box too much early on. If they are birnging pressure then Dak has shown a good ability with the screen pass.

In short, if we handle it right, good play calling, we can keep a lot of pressure off Dak!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yeah, rookie quarterbacks never win ...
  • Andrew Luck rookie season .. Colts .. 11 wins, 5 losses
  • RGIII rookie season .. Commanders .. 10 wins, 6 losses
  • Mark Sanchez rookie season .. Jets .. 9 wins, 7 losses
  • Colin Kaepernick rookie season .. 49ers .. 13 wins, 3 losses
  • Russell Wilson rookie season .. Seahawks .. 11 wins, 5 losses

That's fair but, for the sake of Devil's advocate, 3 of those teams had dominating defenses, one had the best pure passer to come out of college since Peyton Manning, and the other won by playing a gimmick offense that got their QB killed by the end of the season and has since been abandoned by every coach who actually wants his QB to survive.

We have, well, none of those things.

What we DO have is a damned good o-line and a promising running game. We'll see how it goes.

We also aren't in the situation that most of those teams, in history, starting rookie QBs were in: A team that was rebuilding and starting a high draft pick QB because they just didn't have the talent to compete. We have a solid stable of talent at the skill positions on offense and (as previously noted) a damned good o-line. Honestly, I'm more concerned with the defense than I am Dak. However, when the defense failed us in the past, we could count on Romo to get us back in contention with his moxie combined with experience. I thin Dak has the moxie but his lack of experience is going to cost us in those type of games. The kid's head is going to be swimming when he sees the plethora of ways that seasoned opposing DCs are going to force him into mistakes.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What dungy said is true with many rookie qb's but not with some, and I dont think it applies to Dak.
It may apply to wentz, I heard he was now going to start game one against the browns.
That is on tv in my area so will watch that before dallas game.

fortdick

Reaction score
Or Elliott, or Dunbar. Yeah, if you have to double Dez and have to worry about a running QB and have to bring a player down to guard against the running game, this offense really opens up. There are too many options to defend properly if the QB has time.

Dungy's theory was to load up against the run and the underneath stuff and force the rookie to throw deep. Beasley could be the underneath guy to watch.

Noryb

Reaction score
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers defense rank: #1 of 32
2012 Seattle Seahawks defense rank: #1 of 32
2016 Dallas Cowboys defense rank: ???
It's as if they skipped over this part...

"Unless you ride the running game, throw 14 passes and have a great defense to win low-scoring games, rookie quarterbacks don't win in the NFL."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I should pick Swaim off waivers and dump gronk??

I think you're supposed to just marvel at the cleverness and keep on trucking.

I've got Swaim in at QB in two of my leagues, though. I have a pretty good feeling about it.

Wayne02

Reaction score
Yeah, rookie quarterbacks never win ...
  • Andrew Luck rookie season .. Colts .. 11 wins, 5 losses
  • RGIII rookie season .. Commanders .. 10 wins, 6 losses
  • Mark Sanchez rookie season .. Jets .. 9 wins, 7 losses
  • Colin Kaepernick rookie season .. 49ers .. 13 wins, 3 losses
  • Russell Wilson rookie season .. Seahawks .. 11 wins, 5 losses

Russell Wilson, Mark Sanchez and Colin Kaepernick (not Kaepernick's rookie season) all had all world defenses. I'll give you RGIII and Luck.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Russell Wilson, Mark Sanchez and Colin Kaepernick (not Kaepernick's rookie season) all had all world defenses. I'll give you RGIII and Luck.

Yeah, but for the most part they didn't have the offensive support Dak's going to have.

I agree, though, we should have invested more heavily in improving the defensive talent this offseason.

Wayne02

Reaction score
Yeah, but for the most part they didn't have the offensive support Dak's going to have.

I agree, though, we should have invested more heavily in improving the defensive talent this offseason.

True, Dak will definitely have more weapons but you know the opposing teams are going to load the box to stop the run and force Dak to beat them through the air. We won't win if he has to throw 30 plus times.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, Dak will definitely have more weapons but you know the opposing teams are going to load the box to stop the run and force Dak to beat them through the air. We won't win if he has to throw 30 plus times.

But he can throw it 3-4 times and get them to stop stuffing the box if he plays like he was able to in preseason. It's going to be fun to see what he can do.

Honestly, I also like our chances running against most fronts even if they stuff the box. We've got a big advantage with the mobile interior OLs. We might as well use it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
But he can throw it 3-4 times and get them to stop stuffing the box if he plays like he was able to in preseason. It's going to be fun to see what he can do.

Honestly, I also like our chances running against most fronts even if they stuff the box. We've got a big advantage with the mobile interior OLs. We might as well use it.
Also, an over committing defense can be humbled with screen plays. Given the strengths of Dak, he fits the requirements for success here, well.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Dungy's defense strategy only works if you are playing an offense that plays into the fear of having a rookie QB and doesn't let him throw.
Dungy said to stack the box to stop the run on 1 and 2nd down which will get you beat deep if your Offensive coordinator doesn't call play action and let the QB throw the ball.

Basically what Dungy did was predict what the rookie QB and his OC would call. He was usually right and opposing teams played into his hands and paid the price.
I hope we let Dak play QB and not try to protect him to a fault. Let him play action and move the pocket ect.

Totally agree on your points, but do you think Red would allow an agressive game plan? I honestly believe Garrett would rather lose playing "by the book" (which was written in his dad's day), than take a risk which could improve the odds of winning.

superonyx

Reaction score
Totally agree on your points, but do you think Red would allow an agressive game plan? I honestly believe Garrett would rather lose playing "by the book" (which was written in his dad's day), than take a risk which could improve the odds of winning.

After watching Weeden and Cassell last year I'm afraid Garrett will be very conservative. In fact even with Romo he may be conservative. It's hard to say because Tony changes the play so often and snaps the ball with .01 second left on the clock.

So if I am the Giants I am calling my defense the same way Dungy did.