News: DMN: How Dak Prescott, and seven rookie QBs drafted ahead of him, are faring: Cowboys' QB

dallasdave

Reaction score
I can all but guarantee Dakota Prescott will change the way QB's are analyzed.

I swear some of these experts/draft guru's sit in their cube and make stuff up.

Like his coach from Miss. St said........Dakota looks average in shorts for the horse and pony show, but laced up...............he should be drafted in the first round.
:clap:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This has been going on for as long as the NFL has been in existence. Plain and simple, QB's are a crap shoot.

Sydla

Reaction score
The perfect criteria for a NFL scout.

You're hired.

The NFL won't change how they scout QBs based off of random occurrence. And that's what Prescott is. He's also not the first later round QB to turn into a stud. They didn't change the way they looked at QBs after Brady turned into a stud. They didn't change the way they scouted QBs after Russell Wilson turned into a stud.

It's great that Prescott is doing what he's doing. But some of you are trying to make him out to be something much bigger than he actually he is. He's not a transcendent talent that forever alters the way NFL teams scout QBs.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
This has been going on for as long as the NFL has been in existence. Plain and simple, QB's are a crap shoot.
Been my take on the draft for years except I think it's for all positions.

There's a common denominator for draft failure..................analysis.

Seven

Reaction score
The NFL won't change how they scout QBs based off of one anomaly. And that's what Prescott is. He's also not the first later round QB to turn into a stud. They didn't change the way they looked at QBs after Brady turned into a stud. They didn't change the way they scouted QBs after Russell Wilson turned into a stud.

..............and you know this how? Draft of 2017 happen and I missed it?

It's great that Prescott is doing what he's doing. But some of you are trying to make him out to be something much bigger than he actually he is.

A 4th round pick that's smashing records and strung together 10 wins. TEN WINS. It doesn't get much bigger................unless you want him to leap out of a phone booth and stop earth's rotation.

Sydla

Reaction score
..............and you know this how? Draft of 2017 happen and I missed it?

A 4th round pick that's smashing records. It doesn't get much bigger................unless you want him to leap out of a phone booth and stop earth's rotation.

I just told you how. The league didn't change how they scouted QBs after a late round pick in Brady turned into a SB winning QB and arguably the greatest QB ever. They didn't change how they scouted QBs when Russell Wilson turned into a stud QB and won a SB in his first two seasons in the league.

They will scout QBs just like they always have. It's been that way for years and Dak Prescott isn't about to turn the league QB scouting on its ear.

In the next draft, they'll do the same thing............ look at measurables, projections, size, arm strength, etc. They'll look for the guy with the ideal build, size, etc.

Seven

Reaction score
I just told you how. The league didn't change how they scouted QBs after a late round pick in Brady turned into a SB winning QB and arguably the greatest QB ever. They didn't change how they scouted QBs when Russell Wilson turned into a stud QB and won a SB in his first two seasons in the league.

They will scout QBs just like they always have. It's been that way for years and Dak Prescott isn't about to turn the league QB scouting on its ear.

In the next draft, they'll do the same thing............ look at measurables, projections, size, arm strength, etc. They'll look for the guy with the ideal build, size, etc.

You know how the Seahawks and Patriots scouted Brady and Russell?

You know how scouts will approach it next season?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I can all but guarantee Dakota Prescott will change the way QB's are analyzed.

I swear some of these experts/draft guru's sit in their cube and make stuff up.

Like his coach from Miss. St said........Dakota looks average in shorts for the horse and pony show, but laced up...............he should be drafted in the first round.
People probably said the same thing about Tebow.

Sydla

Reaction score
You know how the Seahawks and Patriots scouted Brady and Russell?

You know how scouts will approach it next season?

Apparently you do since you all but guaranteed that Prescott is going to change how the league scouts QBs.

silver

Reaction score
What usually happens with pre-draft analysts is that before there's a "consensus" # 1 rated player the analysts tend to be objective. Once the experts decide on their #1 they look for flaws in the rest of the candidates to fit their agenda or to avoid looking foolish. One thing is for sure, I'm never paying attention to what Lance Zierlein of NFL.com has to say about future draft picks.

Gabe

Reaction score
I think it is funny how truly dumb these scouts are. Like I said, most of them don't know their head from their ***. "Needs extended work" and "a good short yard package QB"... Wow that is amazing accurate analysis there. I hope they don't get paid to write up this non-sense.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
The NFL won't change how they scout QBs based off of random occurrence. And that's what Prescott is. He's also not the first later round QB to turn into a stud. They didn't change the way they looked at QBs after Brady turned into a stud. They didn't change the way they scouted QBs after Russell Wilson turned into a stud.

It's great that Prescott is doing what he's doing. But some of you are trying to make him out to be something much bigger than he actually he is. He's not a transcendent talent that forever alters the way NFL teams scout QBs.

I think one change that it may make is it will force teams to evaluate what QB prospects are being asked to do in these read option offenses. Scouts seem to make the rather lazy assumption that all these offenses are the same. But the offense Dak ran at Miss State seemed to be pretty sophisticated. He's mentioned that there were many similarities between the concepts of that offense and the Cowboys offense. Also, he was reading the whole field rather than half the field as is done in some versions of the offense.

More and more college teams are running these non-pro style offenses. NFL teams are going to have to get better at evaluating QB's that come from them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team that simply can not find a franchise QB is Cleveland. Year after year they pour resources into that position and still nothing. This last draft they had 8 picks before Dak got taken. 8!!!

sean10mm

Reaction score
When scouts miss a guy who turns out to be great, it's invariably because they underestimated the guy MENTALLY. Physical ability is easy to measure. Anybody with a laptop can look up a guy's college stats But nobody can seem to measure a guy's ability to learn. Unless they're an egregious moron like Johnny Manziel it's just a black box.

Tebow was lauded for his intangibles more than anybody in modern scouting history, but if you watched him practice in 2015 you saw the exact same thing you saw in 2010. He was literally incapable of learning a single thing about being a pro QB that he didn't already know in college. In strictly football terms he might have been dumber than Vince Young and Michael Vick, which is saying a great deal. RG3 was supposed to be super smart and did nothing but backslide from a rookie season spent just running the Baylor offense again in Washington. Hell, on paper Ryan Fitzpatrick is the smartest man in the NFL and he can't resist throwing to opposing defensive backs after 12 beepin' years!

In a lot of ways Dak was another McNabb coming out of college (who Zierlein forgets was actually very raw coming out of Syracuse.) Both were really sturdy 6'2" guys who had mobility but mainly wanted to pass. Both came from schools that were not traditional football powers. Dak played tougher SEC competition, but McNabb put up similar efficiency numbers in a less pass-happy era and with a worse supporting cast, so that's arguably a wash. Both were seen as good high-character guys with some mechanical issues. Both had good arms but neither had consistently pinpoint accuracy.

The X factor that sets Dak apart is his ability to pick up the NFL game way faster than normal. He's just way ahead of the game from the neck up compared to every other rookie (and many veterans, e.g. Weeden, Cassel, etc.), and that's what the scouts totally wiffed on. McNabb was seen as a fast learner, and he was still an awful rookie.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well in fairness, a lot of teams including the Cowboys probably had similar write-ups and feelings on him. Yeah, he's turned out well but let's remember that the Cowboys wanted Wentz, Lynch and at least Cook over Prescott.

Drafting Cook, like they wanted to, would have made me gouge my eyes out. He's a turd. Thanks Oakland!

I thought both Cook and Hackenberg would be a waste of a good draft pick.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Hackenberg is the one guy I can say without a doubt was an obvious trash player in college who should have never been drafted before the 6th round.

More and more college teams are running these non-pro style offenses. NFL teams are going to have to get better at evaluating QB's that come from them.

This is true, and a lot of guys simply throw their hands up in the air if a guy played in a spread/air raid/spread option scheme and give up trying to judge their ability to process information. Hell, Drew Brees played in one of the original wacky college spread schemes, and we all know how he turned out.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The team that simply can not find a franchise QB is Cleveland. Year after year they pour resources into that position and still nothing. This last draft they had 8 picks before Dak got taken. 8!!!
Build your trenches...then get your QB. No sense putting a QB behind a line that will not allow a QB to grow...or be properly evaluated. And that is not just a Cleveland problem...that goes for any team that is searching for a franchise QB...be sure you have a competent OL in front of the kid.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I'm not sure that any of the scouts evaluated Prescott incorrectly to be honest. Every pre-draft scouting report I've read about him seems pretty much spot on. The Cowboys deserve credit for maximizing his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. I doubt Houston or the Jets are sitting around thinking he'd be the answer to all of their problems.