News: DMN: How once-frantic search for Tony Romo's backup is tied to a considerable mistake made...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
More click bait biased drama. I cannot wait for the season to start.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Cowboys do not have that answer. Their mistake -- and it was a considerable mistake -- was to not address the backup position more thoroughly this offseason. Once they failed to bring in a veteran such as Miami's Matt Moore, who visited Valley Ranch, or draft Paxton Lynch with a first-round trade attempt, they basically punted and settled on Kellen Moore."

Say what you will about the rest, but I think this point is completely accurate.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Tony will probably be fine, yeah.

I can't believe we're in this position at QB2 again though. I get it, we lost our borderline QB2 candidate, but the whole reason we needed to bring in competition for K Moore was to not be in the situation we're in right now if he didn't pan out. Just stupid.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think that if the running game pans out, every indication that it will, then Romo will be placed under far less vulnerable circumstances.

That is, repeatedly going back to pass on 3rd and long will not be good for his health. 3rd and 2 is far more conducive to maintaining a healthy Tony.

Right now Tony is like a premium spice in a five star restaurant. He should be used sparingly but effectively.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are busy trying to pretend that 4-12 didn't happen and that they can return to the top of the NFC East with the addition of one key rookie and the health of two offensive cornerstone players.
There is a lot more added to this years roster that will push us back to the top than just those 3 players.

visionary

Reaction score
It is idiotic in the extreme for the Cowboys to do this but look........

We have built a new facility in CA

We want to host the draft in the next 5 years

This is the most valuable franchise in sports

They are printing money so jerry and Stephen don't care

I know, I know.......
I should just follow another team :rolleyes:

CWR

Reaction score
It is idiotic in the extreme for the Cowboys to do this but look........

We have built a new facility in CA

We want to host the draft in the next 5 years

This is the most valuable franchise in sports

They are printing money so jerry and Stephen don't care

I know, I know.......
I should just follow another team :rolleyes:

Im fairly confident Jerry would give his left testicle to win another superbowl. Ive never gotten the impression he doesnt care about winning and only making money matters. There are owners that stay near the cap floor but that isnt Jerry. Say what you must about his mismanagement of the team but questioning his desire to win seems silly.

CWR

Reaction score
You know I just read the other day that Arizona added another year to Carson Palmers contract. I believe he is also 36 and has had 2 torn ACLs, and another year or 2 under contract prior to the extension. Im aware its not apples to apples but it is interesting to see other teams around the league and how they manage thier older qbs. I think we were burned so badly during the QC, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Vinne Testaverde, Ryan Leaf era that we are all on edge thinking about a similar future. For the record I like the Pats formula of drafting Qbs often and developing and then flipping them as long as Brady stays on point. But it doesn't always work out when you have teams like Denver developing a guy and not having enough evidence to pay him before his contract is up, thus making it somebody elses gain.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I think when Kellen Moore put up a 33-48 435-3-2 100.6 game against the Commanders in the final game last year, the more the Cowboys thought about finding an available QB who could match that, the more they thought Moore presented them with the most value they could get at the backup QB position when compared to all of the journeymen bouncing around the league So, they made a run at Paxton Lynch as a development guy (and maybe backup) to take Romo's place down the road, didn't get it done, settled in on Moore, drafted Dak, and Moore got hurt.

At the very least this gives Jerry & Company plausible deniability on the QB issue up to this point, IMO. I do wish they would have made a better offer for Lynch, but that's history. I'm hoping when Jerry was talking about standing pat he was just trying to get the sense of desperation out of the air and possibly moderate the asking price for other QBs who become available going forward. Still, with the Cowboys, it's all about Tony as usual. As long as he's playing we have a chance.

odog422

Reaction score
It is not just the collarbone. He is on the wrong side of 30 and has back concerns as well. Do we really think he can make it through 16 games?

I don't. I think 16 games is not feasible for him anymore. The likelihood that at some point he will put himself in harms way, along with a back that I think is way worse that we are told or led to believe, combined with the cheap shots he'll get this year to the back by the opposition - likely unpenalized shots, at that. If he was no contact for weeks last year and still not 100 or close to 100 %, tells me it's chronic and not getting better. Will only degenerate over time ala Dave LFleur, for example. Or even Troy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im fairly confident Jerry would give his left testicle to win another superbowl. Ive never gotten the impression he doesnt care about winning and only making money matters. There are owners that stay near the cap floor but that isnt Jerry. Say what you must about his mismanagement of the team but questioning his desire to win seems silly.

For everybody who says Jerry's just in it for the money, there's two who say he's in it for the ego. It's a case of anything that can be criticized, will be criticized.

Jerry's problem isn't not trying hard enough. Jerry's problem is he's a megalomaniac who insists and giving his players direct access to the owner and who doesn't mind publicly undermining his coach while periodically taking big unnecessary risks with cap dollars or relatively high draft picks that we don't need to take and that make everything less predictable and more unstable each time we do it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is a lot more added to this years roster that will push us back to the top than just those 3 players.
With the tight end positional group pushing upward, the dynamics of both running and passing games should be able to display great dynamics. The offensive line should see that this is possible.

I would like 3,500 yards rushing and well over 4,000 yards passing from this Cowboys' offense.