News: DMN: How once-frantic search for Tony Romo's backup is tied to a considerable mistake made...

CWR

Reaction score
For everybody who says Jerry's just in it for the money, there's two who say he's in it for the ego. It's a case of anything that can be criticized, will be criticized.

Jerry's problem isn't not trying hard enough. Jerry's problem is he's a megalomaniac who insists and giving his players direct access to the owner and who doesn't mind publicly undermining his coach while periodically taking big unnecessary risks with cap dollars or relatively high draft picks that we don't need to take and that make everything less predictable and more unstable each time we do it.

Agreed. Jerry's success as well as his failures have shaped his philosophy as a general manager. The gambling on tainted talent I believe is fueled greatly by missing on Randy Moss. He has had a taste of success and he will always give himself credit for that. That success gives him the confidence to continue to wheel and deal. He is also the eternal optimist always believing we are a player or two away from being back on top. Simply put its against Jerrys nature to sit idle. However, I think he has shifted his way of doing things recently and is attempting to be patient, use the cap wisely and make the entire draft process more of a democracy taking eveyones advice into consideration. I credit him for holding back on Manziel and drafting Martin. That is a move alot of his critics wouldn't have made. All in all nothing he does will be considered positive without another championship. But Jerry not doing his job well enough has nothing to do with his desire to win.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. Jerry's success as well as his failures have shaped his philosophy as a general manager. The gambling on tainted talent I believe is fueled greatly by missing on Randy Moss. He has had a taste of success and he will always give himself credit for that. That success gives him the confidence to continue to wheel and deal. He is also the eternal optimist always believing we are a player or two away from being back on top. Simply put its against Jerrys nature to sit idle. However, I think he has shifted his way of doing things recently and is attempting to be patient, use the cap wisely and make the entire draft process more of a democracy taking eveyones advice into consideration. I credit him for holding back on Manziel and drafting Martin. That is a move alot of his critics wouldn't have made. All in all nothing he does will be considered positive without another championship. But Jerry not doing his job well enough has nothing to do with his desire to win.

Jerry's got his positives, too. But his nature is to take risks, and he's going to take them.

To the people who hit the money argument, though, I do agree that Jerry also places a lot of value on the PR a lightening rod player can bring to the team. He definitely *wants* to build a winner, but it's always going to be in a context where he's building the brand at the same time. He just needs to take care to not let the latter get in the way of the former.

The Manziel talk is a good example. Romo was saying the day after the draft that he had known we weren't taking Manziel. Jerry let that story run because it made the Cowboys the topic of conversation for 30-40 minutes leading up to that Martin pick. No doubt, Jerry loves guys like Manziel who bring notoriety and attention, and I don't doubt for a second he'd bring him in if he were somehow clean and not facing a suspension, but that Manziel stuff was for PR. He loved TO for the PR value (on top of the production), too. That just comes with the dinner when you have a circus ringleader owning your team.

Reactions: CWR

visionary

Reaction score
Im fairly confident Jerry would give his left testicle to win another superbowl. Ive never gotten the impression he doesnt care about winning and only making money matters. There are owners that stay near the cap floor but that isnt Jerry. Say what you must about his mismanagement of the team but questioning his desire to win seems silly.

Please spare me this tired argument

The fact that you cannot understand the difference between 'wanting to win and adopting strategies shown to be successful' and 'wanting to win and doing things that have been shown to create an atmosphere of losing' tells me that you are either willfully ignorant or mentally challenged and either is not a positive reflection on your level of intelligence

visionary

Reaction score
Im fairly confident Jerry would give his left testicle to win another superbowl. Ive never gotten the impression he doesnt care about winning and only making money matters. There are owners that stay near the cap floor but that isnt Jerry. Say what you must about his mismanagement of the team but questioning his desire to win seems silly.

The fact that you cannot understand the difference between 'wanting to win and adopting strategies shown to be successful' and 'wanting to win and doing things that have been shown to create an atmosphere of losing' tells me that you are either willfully ignorant or mentally challenged and either is not a positive reflection on your level of intelligence

visionary

Reaction score
Jerry's got his positives, too. But his nature is to take risks, and he's going to take them.

To the people who hit the money argument, though, I do agree that Jerry also places a lot of value on the PR a lightening rod player can bring to the team. He definitely *wants* to build a winner, but it's always going to be in a context where he's building the brand at the same time. He just needs to take care to not let the latter get in the way of the former.

The Manziel talk is a good example. Romo was saying the day after the draft that he had known we weren't taking Manziel. Jerry let that story run because it made the Cowboys the topic of conversation for 30-40 minutes leading up to that Martin pick. No doubt, Jerry loves guys like Manziel who bring notoriety and attention, and I don't doubt for a second he'd bring him in if he were somehow clean and not facing a suspension, but that Manziel stuff was for PR. He loved TO for the PR value (on top of the production), too. That just comes with the dinner when you have a circus ringleader owning your team.

Speaking of willfully ignorant.....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of willfully ignorant.....

Oh, you cropped up again? I'm pleased. How we cut to the chase and you explain what you're talking about here. Then I'll reply and ask you to support a single one of your observations with something actually said or done previously. And then you'll disappear from the thread again as if it never happened like you always do. That will be fun for everybody.

There's nothing homerific in believing we don't win more because of incompetence as opposed to we don't win more because of greed. And if you're more comfortable taking the conspiracy theory route, be my guest.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He was responding to your argument that 'They are printing money so jerry and Stephen don't care.' If you wanted him to respond to an argument that they were 'wanting to win and doing things that have been shown to create an atmosphere of losing,' then that's probably the argument you should have made.

Either way, don't mix up your own argument and then question the guy's intelligence level. You're the one who confused yourself re: which negative point you were trying to make in your hurry to make them both.

JPostSam

Reaction score
the problem is not failing to secure a better backup. how many backup quarterbacks in the league would you want to lead this team? how
often has a team lost its starting qb for more than 4 games and gone deep into the playoffs? it's extremely rare.

we need a worthy heir to romo, not just a less mediocre backup.

Craig

Reaction score
If romo goes down the season is lost. The reason id want a better backup would be to take the snaps away from dak so he can watch and learn for a year. I wanted a better backup than moore, and certainly wanted competition for him in camp, but im not gonna get too worried about it. I hope they bring in someone that gets cut by the end of camp.

plymkr

Reaction score

The only thing I don't want to think about more than the back up QB situation is Jerry's testicles. Now I'm screwed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Trevor Seimien looks WAY better than Paxton Lynch in Denver's camp so far.
It's going to take a year or two for him.

CWR

Reaction score

Please spare me your lack of reading comprehension. You said as much as Jerry didnt care about winning, only making money. Im telling you that statements like that are lots of fun and all but completely inconsistent with facts. Jerry isnt pacing the sidelines because of all the extra money from winning whatever random game is on going. He is pacing because he wants very badly to win. At no point did I say he was without his flaws. I only said your little conspiracy theory is silly at best. What I can not understand is why anyone would invent such a moronic theory and then attempt to argue and insult another fan by changing the coarse of the entire discussion. My only assumption would be that some keyboard warriors have maybe been picked on one too many time in the real non-internet world. In any case good luck with all that friend and I hope you enjoy your miserable conspiracy riddled season.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Please spare me your lack of reading comprehension. You said as much as Jerry didnt care about winning, only making money. Im telling you that statements like that are lots of fun and all but completely inconsistent with facts. Jerry isnt pacing the sidelines because of all the extra money from winning whatever random game is on going. He is pacing because he wants very badly to win. At no point did I say he was without his flaws. I only said your little conspiracy theory is silly at best. What I can not understand is why anyone would invent such a moronic theory and then attempt to argue and insult another fan by changing the coarse of the entire discussion. My only assumption would be that some keyboard warriors have maybe been picked on one too many time in the real non-internet world. In any case good luck with all that friend and I hope you enjoy your miserable conspiracy riddled season.

I completely agree, Jerry does want to win and make money. He also understands that more money comes with winning. Now we may question how he has gone about it, but even Jimmy Johnson said the HC (to include Garrett) has input on draft picks, so maybe the blame can be spread throughout the whole FO. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, JJ desperately wants to win.

I also think we may have a backup QB in the "making". If you disagree then name me 1 QB out there or could be out there that you honestly feel comfortable with IF Romo goes down. Who by the way really hasn't missed that many games if you take the 2015 season out of the equation.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. If Tony goes down for the season, the team is doomed anyways. I have little faith in this coaching staff to put in a game plan to allow even a half decent backup QB to succeed in holding down the fort.

Tony is Tony, but I don't know how much of the pounding he takes that increase his chance for injury are really his fault when it comes to extending plays. If it's the latter, he needs to pick his poison and get rid of the ball even if he thinks he could possibly make a play. But a lot of the times, it just seems like he's just pounded on because of broken protection or the defense making a good play.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
All of this hand wringing over the backup QB. Did you guys watch last year? The guys we have not cannot be any worse than what we got last year. So that tells me that the REAL problems in Dallas are not tied to the personnel. Matt Cassell has actually looked like an NFL QB in other stops. Even made the Pro Bowl. The fact that he looked like a guy who had never played a down in the NFL should tell you that the problems in Dallas have been hidden with Romo's magic act every Sunday. A lot of people got exposed last year. A lot of people. And I am NOT talking about players!

CWR

Reaction score
I completely agree, Jerry does want to win and make money. He also understands that more money comes with winning. Now we may question how he has gone about it, but even Jimmy Johnson said the HC (to include Garrett) has input on draft picks, so maybe the blame can be spread throughout the whole FO. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, JJ desperately wants to win.

I also think we may have a backup QB in the "making". If you disagree then name me 1 QB out there or could be out there that you honestly feel comfortable with IF Romo goes down. Who by the way really hasn't missed that many games if you take the 2015 season out of the equation.

I am also hopeful about our back up qbs potential. Showers does have some flash on film and he is young so why couldn't it be possible he learns from his mistakes and develops into a real qb? He has the arm and definitely has the wheels, he also very obviously has the work ethic. Im not going to punk on him or Dak at this point. I realize pedigree counts for alot and Showers college production isnt a case for him but it also doesnt mean he can not improve. What do you think Pats fans were saying when Bledsoe went down and they put in a college back up? For those looking to argue I am not saying we have the next Brady. The point is Showers has showed some promising attributes and maybe just maybe he will show something this preseason. Of course none of what I am saying is me believing that putting more stock into the position before hand wasnt a more intelligent approach. Im just not one to pretend my opinions are facts and there is more than one way to skin a cat.