News: DMN: How once-frantic search for Tony Romo's backup is tied to a considerable mistake made...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this hand wringing over the backup QB. Did you guys watch last year? The guys we have not cannot be any worse than what we got last year. So that tells me that the REAL problems in Dallas are not tied to the personnel. Matt Cassell has actually looked like an NFL QB in other stops. Even made the Pro Bowl. The fact that he looked like a guy who had never played a down in the NFL should tell you that the problems in Dallas have been hidden with Romo's magic act every Sunday. A lot of people got exposed last year. A lot of people. And I am NOT talking about players!

I disagree on Cassel. How many times did he try to force those outs with a CB or LB breaking on the ball where the placement was inside? It cost us in back to back games (I remember one was Hicks v. PHI in game two. I think the other was agains the Giants, but that might have been his awful overthrow over the middle). Cassel was taking chances with the football he should not have been taking with a team as compromised of playmakers as we were on offense last season. He was just plain bad.

That said, yes, it could still be worse. We're in a worse position right now than we were at any point last season at QB2.

visionary

Reaction score
Please spare me your lack of reading comprehension. You said as much as Jerry didnt care about winning, only making money. Im telling you that statements like that are lots of fun and all but completely inconsistent with facts. Jerry isnt pacing the sidelines because of all the extra money from winning whatever random game is on going. He is pacing because he wants very badly to win. At no point did I say he was without his flaws. I only said your little conspiracy theory is silly at best. What I can not understand is why anyone would invent such a moronic theory and then attempt to argue and insult another fan by changing the coarse of the entire discussion. My only assumption would be that some keyboard warriors have maybe been picked on one too many time in the real non-internet world. In any case good luck with all that friend and I hope you enjoy your miserable conspiracy riddled season.

This is such a high school argument ..... "Pacing the sidelines....."

Let me see if i can get it to 5th grade level so you and your buddies can follow it

Teams with meddling owners don't win championships (see boys, skins, raiders Etc). It breeds a culture of lack of authority for the HC

Teams that hire puppet HCs and the owner is the GM are not really "trying to win", they are putting lipstick on a pig

Since the raiders 40 years ago, no team with the owner as GM has won the SB. And Al Davis was a 1000X the "football guy" jerry thinks he is

Teams with lack of accountability at the GM and HC position have NEVER won consistently or a SB

These cause rot at the very core of the NFL team

These methods have been consistently shown to fail in the NFL and no teams doing this have had any degree of success (certainly not won a SB) with those methods. That is A FACT

ALL teams that have won SBs in recent memory have a GM that is accountable and a HC hired by that GM who is accountable for the teams records and the players are accountable to him. The jobs of these people are TIED TO THEIR TEAMS PERFORMANCE

If these guys don't deliver (here is a radical thought that will blow your mind) they are fired!!!

So, when an owner CONSISTENTLY, over decades, adopts methods that have been shown to fail for decades and refuses to do things that others have done to achieve success, then no amount of "pacing" or lip service will achieve the desired results. It should then be obvious to every rational thinking human that he is not "doing everything he can to win" and "really wants to win". Rather, he is putting his ego above team performance. And that is jerry jones. His hierarchy of importance begins and ends with his EGO and the amount of money he and his family are making. Winning is a VERY distant third in that equation.

Like I said, no amount of pacing on the sideline will change those facts

DenCWBY

Reaction score
It is idiotic in the extreme for the Cowboys to do this but look........

We have built a new facility in CA

We want to host the draft in the next 5 years

This is the most valuable franchise in sports

They are printing money so jerry and Stephen don't care

I know, I know.......
I should just follow another team :rolleyes:
Hilarious!! Believe it or not, some fans view these statements above as a successful football team.
I'd rather have a reputation like the Raiders and win championships, than to have an oversold, underachieving mediocre product every year.
I know, I'm an awful fan.

CWR

Reaction score
This is such a high school argument ..... "Pacing the sidelines....."

Let me see if i can get it to 5th grade level so you and your buddies can follow it

Teams with meddling owners don't win championships (see boys, skins, raiders Etc). It breeds a culture of lack of authority for the HC

Teams that hire puppet HCs and the owner is the GM are not really "trying to win", they are putting lipstick on a pig

Since the raiders 40 years ago, no team with the owner as GM has won the SB. And Al Davis was a 1000X the "football guy" jerry thinks he is

Teams with lack of accountability at the GM and HC position have NEVER won consistently or a SB

These cause rot at the very core of the NFL team

These methods have been consistently shown to fail in the NFL and no teams doing this have had any degree of success (certainly not won a SB) with those methods. That is A FACT

ALL teams that have won SBs in recent memory have a GM that is accountable and a HC hired by that GM who is accountable for the teams records and the players are accountable to him. The jobs of these people are TIED TO THEIR TEAMS PERFORMANCE

If these guys don't deliver (here is a radical thought that will blow your mind) they are fired!!!

So, when an owner CONSISTENTLY, over decades, adopts methods that have been shown to fail for decades and refuses to do things that others have done to achieve success, then no amount of "pacing" or lip service will achieve the desired results. It should then be obvious to every rational thinking human that he is not "doing everything he can to win" and "really wants to win". Rather, he is putting his ego above team performance. And that is jerry jones. His hierarchy of importance begins and ends with his EGO and the amount of money he and his family are making. Winning is a VERY distant third in that equation.

Like I said, no amount of pacing on the sideline will change those facts

First and foremost this argument has nothing to do with wether or not Jerry is a competent GM. You obviously need to get some Jerry bashing in, and that is fine by me but stop pretending I have anointed Jerry as an infallible GM. I am well aware of the fact that in most organizations you perform or lose your job. This is not a mind blowing concept to me or anyone else. Water is wet, thanks for the clarification.

Id also like to thank you for your crawfishing as now you have at the least admited Winning is part of the equation.

Your original conspiracy theory was that Jerry only cared about money and winning was not a goal as long as money was rolling in and he could build new facilities and continue to market the team.

I have as much as stated his ego has alot to do with his desire. I would also point out that most successful people have expectations for themselves and are all somewhat ego driven. I take pride in my work as well. Its pretty much called doing your best and giving a damn. I never at any point have stated Jerrys ego isnt over inflated and Im well aware it can be detrimental to the team. Its a double edged sword though because that ego continues to push him to succeed. A certain amount of ego is required.

Jerry is very wealthy, his family is very wealthy, they have all been very wealthy for a long time. Jerry clearly loves the business side of running the Dallas Cowboys and like most people he likes to make money.

It is however laughable that you previously stated he is only interested in money and losing is alright as long as he turns a profit. Anybody that has followed this team can clearly see he has a very strong desire to win and his fortune in not hinging on the Cowboys winning another championship. At no point have I ever seen Jerry Jones actions imply that he was alright with losing because he was making money doing it. This is something you have invented in order to further your grudge. That is fine by me but do not post complete nonsense and not expect to be called out.

visionary

Reaction score
First and foremost this argument has nothing to do with wether or not Jerry is a competent GM. You obviously need to get some Jerry bashing in, and that is fine by me but stop pretending I have anointed Jerry as an infallible GM. I am well aware of the fact that in most organizations you perform or lose your job. This is not a mind blowing concept to me or anyone else. Water is wet, thanks for the clarification.

Id also like to thank you for your crawfishing as now you have at the least admited Winning is part of the equation.

Your original conspiracy theory was that Jerry only cared about money and winning was not a goal as long as money was rolling in and he could build new facilities and continue to market the team.

I have as much as stated his ego has alot to do with his desire. I would also point out that most successful people have expectations for themselves and are all somewhat ego driven. I take pride in my work as well. Its pretty much called doing your best and giving a damn. I never at any point have stated Jerrys ego isnt over inflated and Im well aware it can be detrimental to the team. Its a double edged sword though because that ego continues to push him to succeed. A certain amount of ego is required.

Jerry is very wealthy, his family is very wealthy, they have all been very wealthy for a long time. Jerry clearly loves the business side of running the Dallas Cowboys and like most people he likes to make money.

It is however laughable that you previously stated he is only interested in money and losing is alright as long as he turns a profit. Anybody that has followed this team can clearly see he has a very strong desire to win and his fortune in not hinging on the Cowboys winning another championship. At no point have I ever seen Jerry Jones actions imply that he was alright with losing because he was making money doing it. This is something you have invented in order to further your grudge. That is fine by me but do not post complete nonsense and not expect to be called out.

This is exactly why I have stopped arguing with "super fans" like yourself. It would be nice if you have a response that indicates you actually are able to read the post and follow logically

So, I will say 2 things and then leave this discussion:

1. When someone consistently does things that have been shown to result in mediocrity and ignores things that others have done to achieve success in the same field, that person may "want to win" but he is not doing what it takes to win

2. Jerry may be "trying to win" and "pacing the sidelines" but he has hired the worst GM in the NFL and a spineless incompetent yes man as his HC which directly translate into decades of mediocrity. He is a delusional owner who is holding a whole fan base hostage to his ego because he is printing money and is not pushed to make the changes an NFL franchise needs to win.

Bye

CWR

Reaction score
This is exactly why I have stopped arguing with "super fans" like yourself. It would be nice if you have a response that indicates you actually are able to read the post and follow logically

1. When someone consistently does things that have been shown to result in mediocrity and ignores things that others have done to achieve success in the same field, that person may "want to win" but he is not doing what it takes to win

2. Jerry may be "trying to win" and "pacing the sidelines" but he has hired the worst GM in the NFL and a spineless incompetent yes man as his HC which directly translate into decades of mediocrity. He is a delusional owner who is holding a whole fan base hostage to his ego because he is printing money and is not pushed to make the changes an NFL franchise needs to win.

Bye

Awesome, thanks for admiting Jerry does care about winning and not only money. Which was the ACTUAL point of our entire DISAGREEMENT. Not really sure how Im delusional because I think our owner cares about winning. Never said he was an awesome GM, that had nothing to do with the argument at all. But Im happy to see you be the bigger man and admit you were simply spouting your mouth off with out an actual basis in reality.

Bye Felicia.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't think the sky is falling?

No. There are reasons for hope. Alot of us selfishly use those reasons to become excited for football season. But if you do such an atrocious thing you will be labled as a super fan and mocked due to your naive stupidity. For some reason we mustn't have any hope in our hearts. Im not sure why, thats just the theme here.

Im having a hard time myself because Im a hopeful guy who also gets upset and dispointed with the team and even at times says bad things about the organization. But here I have learned If I say one single positive thing I can only be labled as a super fan moron.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It's amazing to me that this argument is still going on, and the mainstream media can't leave it alone.

Bottom line: no veteran quarterback available to the Cowboys this offseason would've spared us the agony of a repeat of 2015 if Romo goes down. Neither would any rookie. The Cowboys' hopes for 2016 are tied directly to Romo's health. If he gets hurt again, the Cowboys will stink, no matter if Josh McCown, Chase Daniel, Paxton Lynch, or any other veteran or rookie we "should have got" were here to save the day. Just my opinion.

visionary

Reaction score

Bye

Awesome, thanks for admiting Jerry does care about winning and not only money. Which was the ACTUAL point of our entire DISAGREEMENT. Not really sure how Im delusional because I think our owner cares about winning. Never said he was an awesome GM, that had nothing to do with the argument at all. But Im happy to see you be the bigger man and admit you were simply spouting your mouth off with out an actual basis in reality.

Bye Felicia.

My bad, I thought I was having a discussion with a grown up and didn't realize you were this dense

"Jerry wants to win?"
No crap

Of course he "wants" to win

Can you show me people who say they want to lose?
No one "wants" to lose

if a person says that they want to live
But then process to jump out of the 15th floor window
He may have "wanted" to live but he is doing something which will prevent that from happening

So did he want to live?
Sounds like you will applaud him for "wanting to live"

The question really is, is the person doing what it takes to win? Is he doing what maximizes his chances of winning?

The answer in Jerrys case is a resounding NO

Ok now this is at KG level so please please understand

CWR

Reaction score
It is idiotic in the extreme for the Cowboys to do this but look........

We have built a new facility in CA

We want to host the draft in the next 5 years

This is the most valuable franchise in sports

They are printing money so jerry and Stephen don't care

I know, I know.......
I should just follow another team :rolleyes:

Oh ok so even though Jerry and Stephen are printing money and do not care what you ACTUALLY meant was they do care. Just man up and quit crawfishing. Its right there! How do you argue against a direct quote WOW. Im done with you little man, reply all you want it is pointless arguing with you.