DMN JJT Blog: Dominique Barber has good things to say about his big brother: Marion

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dominique Barber has good things to say about his big brother: Dallas Cowboys RB Marion Barber

8:36 AM Mon, Aug 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

In the process of working on my piece about Marion Barber, I had a nice 15-minute chat with is little brother Dominique.

They played with each other for a season at Wyzanta (Minn.) High School and in college at Minnesota. Marion is three years older, so when the Texans play the Cowboys in a preseason game a few weeks from now, it will be the first time they've been on the field against each other aside from practice.

"If I have a chance to tackle him, it won't be personal," Dominique said. "I'll just be trying to get him down like I would anyone else."

Dominique said Marion was the consummate big brother.

"He looked out for me in high school, when I was a freshman and he was a senior. He wouldn't let anyone bully me. And he looked out for me at Minnesota, when I was a freshman and he was a red-shirt junior."

Marion also looked out for his little brother prior to the draft. They worked out together and he gave him all of the insight he had about how to succeed and thrive in training camp. Much of Marion's advice was about eating and resting properly, and how to handle the mental part of training camp.

His best advice?

"Believe in what you do. Believe in yourself," Dominique said. "It's not about the last play, it's about the next play."

These days, the brothers are as close as they were growing up. They text every day, though they don't talk as much as they'd like because of the busy nature of training camp.

"We talked for the first time the other day," said Dominique, "and the first thing he wanted to know was how my body was feeling and whether I was stretching enough."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Reminds me of when John Lynch cleaned the clock on his brother-in-law who was a TE for the Bears. I forget the brother-in-law's name right now. Lynch got the nickname "Friendly Fire."

Be careful little brother. Ask Tyson Smith what it feels like when big brother hits back.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Early buzz was that he was really doing well at Texans camp(might have been minicamp that I'm remembering), but I haven't kept up with them.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2174196 said:
Reminds me of when John Lynch cleaned the clock on his brother-in-law who was a TE for the Bears. I forget the brother-in-law's name right now. Lynch got the nickname "Friendly Fire."

Be careful little brother. Ask Tyson Smith what it feels like when big brother hits back.

When friends take it light on each other you call it "brotherly love", etc.