DMN JJT BLOG: Name dropping from Senior Bowl

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
• Bumped into Norv Turner, now the offensive coordinator with San Francisco, after being fired by Oakland, in the Adam's Mark lobby. Obviously, his best success came in Dallas when the Cowboys won a couple of Super Bowls.

Turner said it wasn't too bad working for owner Al Davis. The team, he said, just needed more good players. Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan weren't enough.

• Ran into former Cowboys offensive line coach Frank Verducci, who is now looking for a job after Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey resigned and he wasn't retained by Dick Jauron.

• Talked to Texas defensive back Cedric Griffin, who was wearing a black T-shirt that read, "Don't ya'll know I'm from Texas." We talked about the Texas-Ohio State game and he didn't agree with my assessment they were lucky.

• Former coach Dave Campo is still dying his hair a shade of reddish-brown to keep the gray out. He's still one of my favorite people. Jacksonville went 12-4 this season. "You forget how good it feels to win after a few 5-11 seasons," he said.

Posted by Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 4:30 PM (E-mail this entry)

jcblanco22

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
• Bumped into Norv Turner, now the offensive coordinator with San Francisco, after being fired by Oakland, in the Adam's Mark lobby. Obviously, his best success came in Dallas when the Cowboys won a couple of Super Bowls.

Turner said it wasn't too bad working for owner Al Davis. The team, he said, just needed more good players. Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan weren't enough.

Ran into former Cowboys offensive line coach Frank Verducci, who is now looking for a job after Buffalo coach Mike Mularkey resigned and he wasn't retained by Dick Jauron.

• Talked to Texas defensive back Cedric Griffin, who was wearing a black T-shirt that read, "Don't ya'll know I'm from Texas." We talked about the Texas-Ohio State game and he didn't agree with my assessment they were lucky.

• Former coach Dave Campo is still dying his hair a shade of reddish-brown to keep the gray out. He's still one of my favorite people. Jacksonville went 12-4 this season. "You forget how good it feels to win after a few 5-11 seasons," he said.

Posted by Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 4:30 PM (E-mail this entry)

Let's have a poll on who's the better OL coach, Verducci or Sparano...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Campo: vain and incompetent. Real men don't dye their hair.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jcblanco22 said:
Let's have a poll on who's the better OL coach, Verducci or Sparano...

I would take Verducci - he arguably got as much production out of his OL as Sprano with much inferior talent. His OL looked worse than it was because of Hutchinson's poor pocket presence.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
i thought Campo worked with Cleavland.

and on a side note, Dave winning only feels good when actually do something to contribute to it. Holding clipboards, and calling roll in meetings doesn't real qualify.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Jaguars hire Dave Campo
2/17/05

Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio has named Dave Campo the team's assistant head coach/secondary coach. Campo, 57, is a former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys (2000-02) and spent the last two seasons as defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns following 14 years with the Cowboys. Campo is a veteran of 34 years in coaching including 18 at the collegiate level and 16 in the NFL.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Campo was not head choach material, but I really did like the guy. He kind of got a raw deal too, look what he was working with talent wise. In the end, not head coach material regardless of the talent level.

jimmy40

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Campo: vain and incompetent. Real men don't dye their hair.
I seem to remember Parcells not too long ago having some blonde hair that would make an 18 year old girl proud.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Oh, I am so relieved to hear that JJT didn't get a cold french fry today. :rolleyes:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I would take Verducci - he arguably got as much production out of his OL as Sprano with much inferior talent. His OL looked worse than it was because of Hutchinson's poor pocket presence.

Not to defend Hutchinson, but that year was the worst Oline I have ever seen in my life. Hutchinson would get hit many times before he completed his drop!!!

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Verducci was the asst. OL coach in Buffalo. The OL coach was/is Jim McNally and he's one of the best. I don't know what Buffalo's plans for McNally are. I heard a rumor he was interviewing in St. Louis for the Rams OL coach position. If he's available, I'd be happy to see him here.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Campo was not head choach material, but I really did like the guy. He kind of got a raw deal too, look what he was working with talent wise. In the end, not head coach material regardless of the talent level.

Agreed. He also has forgotten more football than most people on this board will ever know in a lifetime.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We needed a coaching change in Dallas...it's as simple as that. However, Campo was a good coach.

Problems: He had some of the worst talent any coach ever had in Dallas, and as a first timer, he had the most meddling owner when it came to personel and QBs.

Success: His team always played hard for him for 4 quarters...we weren't worth a nickel, but his team never quit on him...I felt they showed up every single week.

gbrittain

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan said:
Agreed. He also has forgotten more football than most people on this board will ever know in a lifetime.

Excellent point. Campo does know his football.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
•"You forget how good it feels to win after a few 5-11 seasons," he said.

Yeah, tell us about it, Dave. We all suffered.

Campo was a nice guy (I've met him), but I'm not cutting him any slack.

He flat out sucked as a head coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chief said:
Yeah, tell us about it, Dave. We all suffered.

Campo was a nice guy (I've met him), but I'm not cutting him any slack.

He flat out sucked as a head coach.

How do we know he was never allowed the opportunity to be a HC. I think for any coach to have a real chance he must be given the authority to run the team as he sees fit. Jerry allowed players to go over Campo head and management can't allow that to happen, Campo did not pick Coslet that was Jerry picking him again a HC must have control and say so over who is on this staff. Don't get me wrong I like Jerry even though I don't always agree with him but in the case of both Campo and Gailey how much authority were they really given to run the team?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
How do we know he was never allowed the opportunity to be a HC. I think for any coach to have a real chance he must be given the authority to run the team as he sees fit. Jerry allowed players to go over Campo head and management can't allow that to happen, Campo did not pick Coslet that was Jerry picking him again a HC must have control and say so over who is on this staff. Don't get me wrong I like Jerry even though I don't always agree with him but in the case of both Campo and Gailey how much authority were they really given to run the team?

*Never allow to buy the groceries

*2 of his 3 Drafts came complete with no first Round Pick

*Very limited control over the team and Jerry probably made alot of decisions that happened on Sunday.

He was a good defensive coach, but was not a good head coach IMO.

- Mike G.