DMN JJT BLOG: Name dropping from Senior Bowl

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
How do we know he was never allowed the opportunity to be a HC. I think for any coach to have a real chance he must be given the authority to run the team as he sees fit. Jerry allowed players to go over Campo head and management can't allow that to happen, Campo did not pick Coslet that was Jerry picking him again a HC must have control and say so over who is on this staff. Don't get me wrong I like Jerry even though I don't always agree with him but in the case of both Campo and Gailey how much authority were they really given to run the team?

I don't have the energy to go back and dig up all the horrid memories of Campo's tenure. I thought we had all put that to rest.

But Jerry certainly deserves a lot of blame ... especially for hiring him.

And, by the way, I thought Gailey was a pretty good coach who got a raw deal. I don't lump Gailey and Campo together like a lot of people. Gailey took Switzer's 6-10 band of underachievers and went 10-6 his first year ... and Jerry never had Gailey's back.

kartr

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Not to defend Hutchinson, but that year was the worst Oline I have ever seen in my life. Hutchinson would get hit many times before he completed his drop!!!

So why did Carter get more wins in fewer games and pass for 200+ yards six consecutive games before Hutch took over. Why was the Cowboys offense ranked 18th in passing, but fell to 31st after Hutch took over? Why did Galloway have more catches in the 7 games he played with Carter than he did in the 9 he played with Hutch? Why did Bryant have 22 catches in 9 games with Hutch and have 22 catches in 7 games with Carter? Why did Hutch have 1 win in 5 starts with Chicago and have only 1 good game, and that was against Minnesota, whose defense was putrid in 2004. Hutch is a good athlete, but has just been away from football way too long to ever succeed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
*Never allow to buy the groceries

*2 of his 3 Drafts came complete with no first Round Pick

*Very limited control over the team and Jerry probably made alot of decisions that happened on Sunday.

He was a good defensive coach, but was not a good head coach IMO.

- Mike G.

As I said without being allowed to run the team as he saw fit how bad of a HC is he really? You can't tie a guys hands and expect him to have success. Jerry would sit down with Coslet on matter of the offense? Coslet was not the HC Campo was and any personnel moves should have been directly between Campo and his OC not Jerry OC. This is why I stress Parcells picking his own staff, not because I don't think Saunders is a bad coach I think he is a very good coach but it is Bill Parcells who is the HC and he is the one that should be picking the people he feels can do the job as he sees it.

kartr

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
We needed a coaching change in Dallas...it's as simple as that. However, Campo was a good coach.

Problems: He had some of the worst talent any coach ever had in Dallas, and as a first timer, he had the most meddling owner when it came to personel and QBs.

Success: His team always played hard for him for 4 quarters...we weren't worth a nickel, but his team never quit on him...I felt they showed up every single week.

I like Campo too, he just wasn't a good head coach, but was a fine coordinator. No shame in that.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
As I said without being allowed to run the team as he saw fit how bad of a HC is he really? You can't tie a guys hands and expect him to have success. Jerry would sit down with Coslet on matter of the offense? Coslet was not the HC Campo was and any personnel moves should have been directly between Campo and his OC not Jerry OC. This is why I stress Parcells picking his own staff, not because I don't think Saunders is a bad coach I think he is a very good coach but it is Bill Parcells who is the HC and he is the one that should be picking the people he feels can do the job as he sees it.

My bad, I should have put my signature "Yep" at the beginning of the post when I am agreeing with a quote.

But I agree with all of your assessments.

Campo's true style was never really unleashed and fully explored while he was here.

- Mike G.