DMN: JJT: Carter throwing away a career

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/05-07/0519q-car.jpg MICHAEL MULVEY / DMN
Quincy Carter led the Cowboys to a 10-6 record and a playoff appearance in the 2003 season.

Quincy Carter is a 29-year-old with dreams of reviving an NFL career that will never happen – no matter how much he deludes himself, writes DMN columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor. After blown opportunities in Dallas, New York and Montreal (CFL), Carter was suspended from his arenafootball2 team for two games for missing position meetings earlier this week. Ridiculous.
[SIZE=+1]Former Cowboys quarterback is wasting a final shot at pro football
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]01:09 AM CDT on Saturday, May 19, 2007

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/sports/columnists/mugs/mug_jtaylor.jpg

Quincy Carter is a 29-year-old with dreams of reviving an NFL career that will never happen – no matter how much he deludes himself.
It saddens me to write that because I like Carter. We didn't have the kind of relationship where we met for drinks regularly or communicated by phone, e-mail or text message once a week. Or even once a month.

I've never been to his home or ridden in his car, but we've shared a few meals at his favorite Addison restaurant over the years. We've talked often since the Cowboys released him, though not since December, in part because his phone number usually changes every couple of weeks.

So when he signed with the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings of arenafootball2, I viewed it as a positive. To me, it showed he was so serious about resurrecting his pro career that he was willing to humble himself and go to professional football's lowest level, playing for $200 a week – $250, if his team won.

As usual, he screwed up.

That's what he does. Time after time after time. I shouldn't have been surprised.

This week, Bossier coach Jon Norris suspended Carter for two games, including Friday night's game against Manchester, for missing position meetings earlier this week.
Ridiculous.

It's been just a few years since Carter entered training camp as the Cowboys' starting quarterback after leading them to a 10-6 record and their first playoff appearance in three seasons.

Less than a week later, the Cowboys released him.

We all know the Cowboys cut him because he violated the league's substance-abuse policy, though the team denied it. Carter has since admitted he had used marijuana.

The New York Jets signed him, and he helped them make the playoffs by winning two of three starts while Chad Pennington recovered from a rotator cuff injury. But he abandoned the team under mysterious circumstances during the playoffs and the Jets chose not to re-sign him.

Then came a training camp stint with Montreal of the Canadian Football League that lasted only a few weeks before this opportunity with the Battle Wings.

I never figured Carter would play in the NFL again, but I thought he might play well enough for the Battle Wings to land a job as a starter in the Arena League. That would allow him to stay close to the game he loves, make about $100,000 and, perhaps, eventually use the off-season to give motivational speeches about how to regroup after life knocks you on your butt.

He certainly would've had a story to tell.
But if you can't be responsible at football's lowest level, how could any AFL or NFL team trust you with its franchise?

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/05-07/0519q-car.jpg MICHAEL MULVEY / DMN
Quincy Carter led the Cowboys to a 10-6 record and a playoff appearance in the 2003 season.

See, quarterback isn't like any other position. The quarterback, usually the face of the franchise, is the most important position on any football team because the ball is in his hands every play and he makes most of the decisions that win and lose games.

The reason no team in the NFL wanted to sign Carter is because he's in the fine portion of the NFL's substance-abuse program, which means the next incident would've resulted in a four-game suspension.

Can you imagine having a starting
quarterback getting suspended for violating the substance-abuse policy in November as the season's stretch run is starting? It would wreck the franchise. No team wants to put its trust in a player like that.

Think about all of the NFL players arrested or charged with marijuana possession or DUI over the last several years; few involve quarterbacks. Most of them understand their importance to the organization, so they make it a point not to be put in compromising positions.

Carter's problem has always been trust.

He never really trusted Jerry Jones. Or Bill Parcells. Or any offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach with the Cowboys.

When Dallas signed Chad Hutchinson or Drew Henson, he never believed there would be a fair competition for the starting job. He always thought the organization was trying to replace him.

Nothing could've been further from the truth.

No one wanted him to succeed more than Jones, who drafted him in the second round, when he should've been picked in the fourth.
More important, Carter never trusted his ability.

He could talk a good game. He'd tell you about his arm strength and accuracy and athleticism, but he folded every time there was competition, an indication he didn't truly believe in himself.

That's too bad because whether Carter became a star or not, he easily had the talent to play in the NFL for 10 to 12 years and create financial security for life.
Don't laugh.

Lots of marginal quarterbacks such as current Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett stuck around the league for years with a lot less athletic ability than Carter because they prepared diligently and made themselves assets even though they didn't play much.
Instead, Carter's professional football career is essentially over. He has only himself to blame.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
May 19, 2007

It keeps getting worse for Quincy

quincyexit.jpg

The sad saga of ex-Cowboys QB Quincy Carter continues, superstar columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor writes.
The latest episode: Q has been suspended two games by the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings of arenafootball2. He missed position meetings this week, and I'll go out on a limb and guess it wasn't the first time.
The really pathetic thing is that he's still talking about getting another shot in the NFL. Q told NFL Network that he thinks he can still be one of the league's top 15 quarterbacks.
Yes, still. As if he ever was. Maybe he could have been, but we'll never know. He needs to prove now he's trustworthy enough to play in a league where he has to wash his own jock.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 1:51 AM (E-mail this entry)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, but this guy is pathetic and will forever be a black eye for the Cowboys. I will be glad when his "playing days" are over and his name will stop popping up in the news.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JJT, that had to have been hard to write. You did a really good job. You were both fair and critical, something I always tried to be with him. I agree, he could have played 10 to 12 years in the NFL. I always thought he was better suited to be a backup. Unlike some, I don't consider that an insult and never did. I was never blind about this man and never will be.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say 'what a sad waste of talent' but he had none to begin with. To top it off, the guy is a bum.

sjordan6

Reaction score
Hostile;1503467 said:
JJT, that had to have been hard to write. You did a really good job. You were both fair and critical, something I always tried to be with him. I agree, he could have played 10 to 12 years in the NFL. I always thought he was better suited to be a backup. Unlike some, I don't consider that an insult and never did. I was never blind about this man and never will be.

great points Hos..I think JJT was really fair and on the money is how he criticized him without throwing him under the bus. Q Car was not a bad qb and I think he did have a career in the NFL. Hell just think if he had a decent team to play with. Remember he had NO running game with Hambrick (boy if only emmitt had decided to stay and play with BP) and a suspect receiving corps. All I am saying is I understand Q's daydream of playing in the league the starting qb today was a rookie when Q was here and would not be...well water under the bridge.

I just hope Q settles for the 100K option because that window of opportunity is only going to be open for a few more days. Hos its good to see someone who can finally write an objective article for a change.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Okay, we know writers browse through message boards like this one to get ideas for stories. But this might be taking it to too far. QC causes long threads on here for a variety of reasons. But does anyone think the average casual sports fan in the Dallas area cares about Quincy anymore? He's been gone for years now.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I really wanted him to succeed in the NFL, he definitely had the physical ability. He seemed to me like a slower Michael Vick, maybe a better passer; I don't know. That must have been very difficult for Jerrah to have let him go after drafting him so high... it just proves Jerry won't let anybody ruin his team like that, which is really honorable considering the Bengals should have let go of half thier roster and send them to San Quentin.

By the way, why did the NYJ's not keep him? wasn't he servicable in that backup role when Pennington went down?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503642 said:
By the way, why did the NYJ's not keep him? wasn't he servicable in that backup role when Pennington went down?

What? You think a team would keep a player that bailed on them during a playoff run?

:rolleyes: You can never trust Crankcase, ever...he just does not get it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;1503629 said:
Okay, we know writers browse through message boards like this one to get ideas for stories. But this might be taking it to too far. QC causes long threads on here for a variety of reasons. But does anyone think the average casual sports fan in the Dallas area cares about Quincy anymore? He's been gone for years now.
I would say that those I know who live in the area would be interested. But for the very reason you suggest. Casual interest.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
5Stars;1503645 said:
What? You think a team would keep a player that bailed on them during a playoff run?

:rolleyes: You can never trust Crankcase, ever...he just does not get it.

He bailed on them?

Wow must have been sleeping on that.. Mulligan :rolleyes:

Could you please explain the situation to me? thanks

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i dont understand the fascination with Quincy Carter. Its been a long while since he was released YET it seems like everytime there is a quincy carter thread it is a long thread... (which i guarantee this thread will be another long one) and usually i stay out of just about all them because i just dont care about him even though i was a fan of his when he was here. but i gotta ask why do people like talking about him??? i mean he wasnt very good and he wasnt a fan favorite so i dont really understand...

BTW im not criticizing people for wanting to talk about him but im just wondering why people do???

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1503663 said:
i dont understand the fascination with Quincy Carter. Its been a long while since he was released YET it seems like everytime there is a quincy carter thread it is a long thread... (which i guarantee this thread will be another long one) and usually i stay out of just about all them because i just dont care about him even though i was a fan of his when he was here. but i gotta ask why do people like talking about him??? i mean he wasnt very good and he wasnt a fan favorite so i dont really understand...

BTW im not criticizing people for wanting to talk about him but im just wondering why people do???

People don't like wasted talent I guess. I certainly HATE it, even if it is not even about Cowboys players, but people in general. You always want people to follow their dreams and then succeed at it.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Sarge;1503471 said:
I would say 'what a sad waste of talent' but he had none to begin with. To top it off, the guy is a bum.
That's not true. He did have some talent and he showed glimpses of it during the 2003 season.

To say that he didn't have ANY talent at all is absurd.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503668 said:
People don't like wasted talent I guess. I certainly HATE it, even if it is not even about Cowboys players, but people in general. You always want people to follow their dreams and then succeed at it.
i guess but idk to me Carter isnt someone worth talking about but thats just IMO...

ethiostar

Reaction score
I was one of his biggest supporter, i believed he had the raw talent that could have been coached to make him a very productive QB in the NFL.

Obviously, the boy has some personal demons he needs to excercise before he can accomplish anything successfuly in life.

Sad to see someone throw away thier opportunities like this, especially when there are thousands who would give anything to get at least one of the opportunities that were given to him.....

I wish him the best of luck in getting his life together and i refuse to talk about him any longer, lol.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
If QC had a good head on his shoulders, he could have been quite good.

But he didn't and so he wasn't.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1503649 said:
He bailed on them?

Wow must have been sleeping on that.. Mulligan :rolleyes:

Could you please explain the situation to me? thanks

During the Jets playoffs he said he had to go be with his ailing mother or something of that nature. Well, from what I understand, he lied...

Nevertheless, he bailed out on them DURING the playoffs.

Others can verfiy that...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
:jerk:

anybody have any Steve Pelluer stories from the 80's...

Squincy stories seem to follow the same old tired fallout pattern...

Time to mosey on!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dangerdoom4124;1503676 said:
That's not true. He did have some talent and he showed glimpses of it during the 2003 season.

To say that he didn't have ANY talent at all is absurd.

Anyone who gets as far as QC did, has 'some' talent - spare me the obvious.

Perhaps you need to stop taking things so literally.....justa suggestion.

Seems everyone else understood my point. :rolleyes: