DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Amen.

Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

12:25 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
http://jacquestaylorblog.***BANNED-URL***/_Falcons_Cowboys-thumb-200x133.jpgBill Parcells built this team to have staying power during his four years as head coach and GM adviser.
That said, it was clearly time for him to go because the players had stopped responding to him, but Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips have wrecked this team far quicker than I had ever imagined.
It has happened for two reasons: The culture of discipline Parcells created has been destroyed and the team has lost its edge.
Here's how the culture has been destroyed: Whether you liked him or not, Parcells demanded accountability from every player; Phillips does not.
We all know it.
This team didn't really have a core of strong leadership -- players who had no problem telling their teammates when they were screwing up -- so Parcells took that responsibility. He had two Super Bowl rings and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day, which ensured players respected him and did whatever he asked. Those who didn't found employment elsewhere.
Phillips has never won a playoff game -- he is 0-4 -- so he has never received the same level of respect as Parcells.

Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?
He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.
The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.
But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.
When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.
That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?
I didn't think so.
This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.
Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.
That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.
But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.
Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.
Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built
12:25 PM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor E-mail News tips

Bill Parcells built this team to have staying power during his four years as head coach and GM adviser.

That said, it was clearly time for him to go because the players had stopped responding to him, but Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips have wrecked this team far quicker than I had ever imagined.

It has happened for two reasons: The culture of discipline Parcells created has been destroyed and the team has lost its edge.

Here's how the culture has been destroyed: Whether you liked him or not, Parcells demanded accountability from every player; Phillips does not.

We all know it.

This team didn't really have a core of strong leadership -- players who had no problem telling their teammates when they were screwing up -- so Parcells took that responsibility. He had two Super Bowl rings and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame one day, which ensured players respected him and did whatever he asked. Those who didn't found employment elsewhere.

Phillips has never won a playoff game -- he is 0-4 -- so he has never received the same level of respect as Parcells.

Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?

He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.

The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.

But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.

When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.

That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.

That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?

I didn't think so.

This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.

Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.

That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.

But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.

Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.

Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
What was BP's best record with the players he built the team with again?

Iago33

Reaction score
Let's just get rid of the whole lot of losers and hire a Hollywood cast to play football for us. At least they would look like they were trying.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Good post, I agree with almost everything you say.

The moment I heard Wade say "dont worry about mistakes, those are my fault" I knew this team was in a heap of trouble. How can you have discipline and accountability if you dont hold players responsible for their mistakes? You cant it just isnt possible and it shows in the way they play the game.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And why could Parcell's not win with the Powerhouse he built?

People sure have a short memory around here.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
JJT, you're full of bull-crap. Parcells teams were inferior because he built a putrid OL. the OL has remained putrid and now the team is playing like they are inferior. And you want to excuse Parcells? Please! :rolleyes: The only factual thing you noted is that Phillips never won a playoff game, conveniently leaving out that Parcells never one a playoff game with the teams HE built in Dallas either. Did Jerry and Wade wreck that too? Whatever! You're a journalistic JOKE! :rolleyes:

CoCo

Reaction score
If you just want to vent some frustration at Phillips this story will do as well as any.

If you want to logically connect the dots, it fails.

The team was not responding to Bill by the time he left, but its Wade and Jerry who have ruined it? :confused:

Word Mofo

Reaction score
How long ago was the media calling for Parcells' head? Now they come crawling back.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
and people had sigs of Landry crying that Parcells had ruined his team.

No one was saying Wade ruined it when we were 13-3 last year.

I wish I knew why we were so out of it this year. I think it all comes down to Romo being able to cover up for other problems, like Tom Brady did for New England, who btw is only 5-3 this year without Giselle's boyfriend.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

links18

Reaction score
He grossly overestimates the level of "respect" players had for Parcells. And what doe he mean by the players stopped responding to him? What the hell does that mean?

How is churning the bottom of the roster going to motivate guys like Ellis, Flo, Columbo, Hamlin, etc.? Absurd.....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

Yeah, but what happened to the fallout last year?

These articles are dumb. No one really knows what is wrong with the team right now. If they did, they would fix it. The authors of these articles are not trying to come up with some solutions, they're just playing the blame game.

rangers71

Reaction score
JJT is a freaking idiot. How many playoff games did we win with him?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396354 said:
Yeah, but what happened to the fallout last year.

The players responded well to the new regime last year, but when there are no consequences, no boundaries and no accountability, it's not going to last.

Duane

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396311 said:
What was BP's best record with the players he built the team with again?

zrinkill;2396327 said:
And why could Parcell's not win with the Powerhouse he built?

People sure have a short memory around here.

CoCo;2396334 said:
If you just want to vent some frustration at Phillips this story will do as well as any.

If you want to logically connect the dots, it fails.

The team was not responding to Bill by the time he left, but its Wade and Jerry who have ruined it? :confused:
This article fails at logic as other posters have pointed out. Parcells did nothing to win when it counts.