DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
THUMPER;2396457 said:
It is pretty much the same environment that we have had since Jimmy Left. The Parcells-coached teams had just as little discipline, made the same stupid mistakes, the same dumb penalties, and didn't win a single playoff game.

Parcells got rid of a few malcontents but allowed Jerry to bring in Terrell Owens without walking off the job. It was obvious that he didn't want Owens here by the way he referred to him as "the player" but he didn't do much to keep him from coming here.

By the time Parcells came to Dallas he had already contracted "Old man's disease" and was more afraid of losing than he was committed to winning. That's why he kept going with older QBs that he had a history with, Testeverde & Bledsoe, even though it was painfully obvious that they were NOT the answer for us.

Parcells was never an innovative genius in the mold of Paul Brown, Tom Landry, or Sid Gillman but was a motivator like Lombardi and Noll. "Just do what I tell you or face my wrath!" In the past he had a pretty good eye for talent at a few positions but that didn't show up much here as his drafts were mostly pretty bad except for 2005.

Unfortunately, Parcells never had the ultimate authority here the way he did in NY or NE (despite his comments about not being able to shop for the groceries there). The Owens signing was all about Jerry wanting to make it clear to Bill that HE was still the guy in charge of the team and would do whatever he wanted to with it. Parcells should have quit then if he had any huevos left but as I said, he had "old man's disease" by this time and didn't put up a fight.

Jerry has run this team from the day Jimmy left and that is why we have not had the success we should have had. The Cowboys are still the premier franchise in the NFL and Jerry has had a lot to do with that but we are not a dominant team and he has had a lot to do with that as well.

We have talent but we are not a TEAM. A TEAM needs leaders, not big names with big mouths. Romo was a happy accident, not a jewel that was uncovered through careful research. He was lucky to make the team for a couple of years as no one saw any real talent there. Once he FINALLY got his chance to play, his first pass was an INT, but then he took off and has become one of the top QBs in the league.

That wasn't Parcells' doing, in fact the case could be made that BP held Romo back while he played his AARP member QBs instead. Without Romo, this team has no leader. And without Romo this team has no chance. Parcells didn't "build" this team, he lucked out that Romo stuck around and took advantage of the opportunity when it came.

Wade has done nothing but that was to be expected since he hasn't done anything anywhere else he's been. We did expect that the defense would improve more than it has though. Garrett is the real disappointment IMO as there were high expectations of him and after how well the offense performed last year we thought he would be even better this season, but he hasn't.

Jerry wrecked this team when he put his ego ahead of winning championships back in 1994. We'd better get used to it until he dies of old age because he is NEVER going to relinquish control of the team to anyone again until the day he dies.
:bow:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
The day Jerry couldn't help himself and signed TO, Parcells was out of here. Now we hear whispers of TO not showing up for practice on time. This is starting to remind me of the post Jimmy Johnson era.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
It's a total myth that BP wasn't on board with TO. Where is this evidence that Jerry overrode BP on his decision? From both JJ's and BP's mouth, it was said that he wouldn't be here if either of them didn't want it.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
Do people forget that we have MAJOR injuries.

I'm not trying to make excuses for lack of effort but c'mon, we are 5-4, and our last 3 games were played with a qb that resembled a mummy. We would have probably been 6-3 with Romo still in there or quite possibly 7-2 since Romo always has good games at the Meadowlands. I bring up the record because if we were 7-2 with the same coaching staff, the same game plan, the same personnel, we would not see articles like this and the mood around here would be different.

I know we struggled while Romo was still in there but we had only played 6 games. And the two losses came down to the very end.

It just seems funny to me what numbers do to people. They will pick up a newspaper, see the teams record and state what is happening WITHIN the organization based on what their record is and what they see on tv.

Again, I'm not saying that the Cowboys are in good shape or that there isn't trouble within the organization, but I just feel that people come to these conclusions while being grossly uninformed about what is truly going on.

But I guess I can complain about these people until I'm blue in the face and it won't matter until Dallas wins and keep winning.

Reaction score
THUMPER;2396457 said:
That wasn't Parcells' doing, in fact the case could be made that BP held Romo back while he played his AARP member QBs instead. Without Romo, this team has no leader. And without Romo this team has no chance. Parcells didn't "build" this team, he lucked out that Romo stuck around and took advantage of the opportunity when it came.

Since when has Romo exhibited any leadership qualities?

I hate the fact that people annoit the starting QB as a leader when they have 0 leaderhip qualities. The only time he shows emotion is when he is pissed because he is on his arse trying to run around to save his life. I like Romo. People will say I am Romo - bashing but I am not. Just someone please tell me what makes him a team leader?

I dont buy the 'lead by examples' either.. We have too many of those and its not working. You are exactly right though of this team having no chance without Romo.

You can't be led by the class clown.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
JJT = a tool.

this team reached a level that under Parcells it would have never gone to.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2396491 said:
Since when has Romo exhibited any leadership qualities. I hate the fact that people annoit the starting QB as a leader when they have 0 leaderhip qualities. I dont but the 'lead by examples' either.. WE have too many of those and its not working.

You can be led by the class clown.

Well, Witten stated that Romo isn't the rah-rah type of leader, but when he's in the huddle everyone listens and respects him as the leader, and he has his own way of showing it. I know Witten and Romo are good friends, but coming from him, the guy who plays with a broken jaw or broken ribs, I'm going to take his word for it.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
zrinkill;2396352 said:
How?..Although I didnt like all of his methods he did have consequences for actions not deemed "team positive". He was not perfect in that I really did not like his gameday gameplans but he did hold people responsible and did call players out when they did something wrong.
At this point there is no coach, there is no accountablity, no consiquence.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Good article.

It was only a matter of time once Jerry took the full reins back and hired his puppet and meddled with the staff and decided to go back to playing Madden football with the Cowboys. But geez, this is record time for even Jerry to screw it up so bad.

The only hope is if he cans Wade after the season, hires a quality HC and gives up control over the staff and listens to the football men again.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
This article is dead on. Is there a happy medium. Someone who make players accountable without beating them into the ground. Someone who lacks a backbone like Wade, yet still has player's respect.

I blame The MEDDLER.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

And they never will get it. When you can cry to the GM/owner about coaching you have nothing in your coach.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
I love JJT, but where was this article when we were 3-0? When you lose everything comes into question. I'm tired of hearing about Parcells. He couldn't do anything better with this group.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2396501 said:
JJT = a tool.

this team reached a level that under Parcells it would have never gone to.

Yeah, another loss when it counted most. Great.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2396550 said:
And they never will get it. When you can cry to the GM/owner about coaching you have nothing in your coach.

and that is the biggest problem.

You cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips.

The guy is a coordinator. Always has been. That is why no one hired him.

I dont see all of this as his fault.

Jerry hired, wade. He knew exactly what wade is and was and then he messed with the roster and the locker room chemistry, throw in adding distractions that could have been easily avoided and you get the current mess.

But make no mistake, jerry hired wade phillips, and you cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips. He couldnt win with john elway in denver and he couldnt win with a terrific defense in buffalo.

The thing I do find really annoying about wade is he has no problem gloating when we win and he hides from criticsm like a little kid when we lose. And Seeing that within his first five minutes on the job here he was taking swipes at parcells in his first PC, he is going to have to answer some of these questions after all he sold himself as the anit bill parcells and jerry and the players sold the fans that it was the anti bill parcells that they needed.

Now Jerry has him, and Jerry is an nfl punchline again. This time he has a new 1 billion dollar stadium to go with a mediocore team.

So yay everyone. Buy your tickets, we are middle of the road again.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396311 said:
What was BP's best record with the players he built the team with again?

Much, much, much, much better than it was the 3 years before he got there when Jerry was running the show.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coakleys Dad;2396521 said:
How?..Although I didnt like all of his methods he did have consequences for actions not deemed "team positive". He was not perfect in that I really did not like his gameday gameplans but he did hold people responsible and did call players out when they did something wrong.
At this point there is no coach, there is no accountablity, no consiquence.

I agree with you.

Parcells assembled a talented team, but his conservative style were often shackles to that talent.

When Garrett came in, the offense was opened up and the reigns taken off of Romo.

Defensively, Phillips brought in a more complex, less vanilla 3-4 than Parcells' preferred to run.

And Jerry, to his credit, continued to add talent to the team in Leonard Davis and Ken Hamlin.

Add it up and you get a 13-3 season, a #1 seed, and 13 Pro Bowl players.

But now that the inmates realize that they can get away with anything with Coach Cupcake - the 'players' coach' - there's no accountability, no fear of losing your job.

Now we have Phillips' "we'll get 'em next time" culture which makes failure OK, and it makes losing OK too.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
miamicowboy21;2396554 said:
I love JJT, but where was this article when we were 3-0? When you lose everything comes into question. I'm tired of hearing about Parcells. He couldn't do anything better with this group.

Parcells TAUGHT Jerry to TRUST in much older, experienced QBs (Testaverde anyone?). So Jerry followed suit and stuck with Brad Johnson over going with riskier, less experienced options. Now that has bit us in the rear and it's Jerry's and Wade's fault (Not Parcells')?

And last time I checked, Parcells never won in Dalals either because he built a putrid OL, which still plays putrid. Sorry, but that's not about tearing down what Parcells built; it's more about still relying on it.

Sorry JJT, your story doesn't add up. As a journalist you're choking, much like these Cowboys.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2396577 said:
Much, much, much, much better than it was the 3 years before he got there when Jerry was running the show.

Jerry's always been running the show, except when the team does good for some reason to some people.

So, does Jerry get credit for the 13-3 season with BP's players?

The fact is none of you know how different JJ is now in his relationship with WP compared to BP. And even so, it worked better on a coaching level from the results.

The organizational structure of the organization that BP built is still in place. Or did people not like the draft we had, and the amount of picks we have next year?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
After the uttterly embarassing and disgraceful playoff performance last year, you would have thought the team would have came into training camp angry and with a chip on their shoulder. Instead we got a month of family group hugs, grab assery and train rides in August. That should have been the first indicator that the culture at Valley ranch was 1997 all over again.

JJT is exactly right about churning the bottom of the roster. But beyond that, have we even benched a player in Wade's tenure? Of course not. Benching players makes them mad at you. You don't want a "family member" mad at you, do you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2396572 said:
and that is the biggest problem.

You cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips.

The guy is a coordinator. Always has been. That is why no one hired him.

I dont see all of this as his fault.

Jerry hired, wade. He knew exactly what wade is and was and then he messed with the roster and the locker room chemistry, throw in adding distractions that could have been easily avoided and you get the current mess.

But make no mistake, jerry hired wade phillips, and you cant blame wade phillips for being wade phillips. He couldnt win with john elway in denver and he couldnt win with a terrific defense in buffalo.

The thing I do find really annoying about wade is he has no problem gloating when we win and he hides from criticsm like a little kid when we lose. And Seeing that within his first five minutes on the job here he was taking swipes at parcells in his first PC, he is going to have to answer some of these questions after all he sold himself as the anit bill parcells and jerry and the players sold the fans that it was the anti bill parcells that they needed.

Now Jerry has him, and Jerry is an nfl punchline again. This time he has a new 1 billion dollar stadium to go with a mediocore team.

So yay everyone. Buy your tickets, we are middle of the road again.

Excellent post.

:bow: