DMN JJT: Wade and Jerry have wrecked the team Parcells built

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Right. He built it up so strong that he won exactly the same amount of playoff games as Wade has and Bill only had 4 seasons worth of shots to get into the playoffs and get a W while Wade has been given a whole season and a half and has already had a better season than Bill ever did while here.

But, yeah, no doubt. They totally ruined what Bill did so much better with while here.

Reaction score
BP was a football savy architect...

The BP haters have no clue... This is a underachieving team thats needs some fire in its arse and no one to light it...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
When I saw how Wade handled Spencer in TC, almost apologetically fining him $100.00, I got sick to my stomach.

We're trying to win a SB and a key player misses treatment to get his electricity turned on and isn't scared of the consequences. That's garbage!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Chief;2396362 said:
The players responded well to the new regime last year, but when there are no consequences, no boundaries and no accountability, it's not going to last.

I'm not so sure about that. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors all the time? We really don't. Maybe WP is like BP in certain situations, and there have been players who say he can be. But he isn't like him all the time.

Perhaps the team is just cursed. Maybe someone laid a black magic voodoo curse on the star. That's about as viable an option as others I've heard here.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hard to argue with that.

OTOH, no team would have weathered all the injuries at one time we've had esp with Brad there. I was waiting to see the Brad of preseason. He's not home. Leave a message. No backup and you're screwed.

I think this stuff is premature. Sure you're gonna generate this kind of stuff when you go from SB favorite to not making the playoffs. It's happened to Bill Cowher, too, BTW. A favored team not making the playoffs. Other big time coaches, too. Fate has not bee kind but you're also seeing some huge mistakes creating major problems and losses. Not having a backup like the Pats do is a shame. Blame Jerry and Jason for it. Those are the two who signed off on that. Leave Wade out of it. He's not got the job description to veto that even if he wanted to.

yesfan

Reaction score
I agree with your post and wonder how it is Miami without star power,
alot of young kids with heart and desire to win,and a good coaching staff
to lead them,was just the same blueprint Parcells laid out for Dallas only to
be obliterated with a 2nd rate coach and multimillion dollar celebrity cast of
underachievers.I can't believe where this team is and only hope we can pull
a streak like the Giants did last season.I just question the heart of this team.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I totally agree!

Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?
He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.
The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.
But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.
When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.
That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?
I didn't think so.
This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.
Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.
That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.
But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.
Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.
Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.
Parcells had the power to get rid of players, no questions asked. Phillips doesn't, so he'll never have the same level of respect from the players. Why do you think Greg Ellis talked to Jerry Jones about his role in the defense?
He wouldn't have done that with Parcells here because he knew it wouldn't have mattered. Why do you think T.O. regularly shows up late to morning meetings? He knows there's no real consequence.
The players know Phillips doesn't have the ultimate authority, so they don't fear him. That, my friends, leads to a culture of losing.
But the biggest reason the culture Parcells created is gone is that no one is here to reinforce it.
When Parcells left, he took VP of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland with him. He took Tony Sparano and three core defensive coaches as well. Yes, Jason Garrett is still here, but he's not a Parcells' guy. He's a Norv Turner guy.
That means everyone with ties to Parcells, who respected the previous culture and could maintain the same type of environment is gone.
That's why the environment has changed - and it's not coming back. This team is in the midst of a free fall. Do you have confidence anyone in the organization can stop the plummet?
I didn't think so.
This team has also lost its edge under Wade Phillips.
Parcells believed in churning the bottom of the roster, which meant if you weren't a proven player with a defined role, he was always looking to replace you.
That's why the Cowboys would work out 4-5 players every Tuesday. Sometimes, they signed a player, sometimes they didn't.
But it kept the last 15-20 guys on the roster on edge because they never knew when they might get replaced. That forced them to practice a little harder or study a little more video or lift just a few more weights because they might get replaced if they didn't.
Phillips believes that once you've made the team in training camp, you're part of the Dallas Cowboys' 53-man family. He's not looking to replace anyone and I think that creates an environment of complacency.
Now, you're seeing the shoddy results.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

I think its fair to question the culture that Wade & Jerry have created.

But I wouldn't use the culture Parcells built here (in terms of bringing out a players best performance) as the benchmark. JJT already indicated that the players stopped responding to BP.

If I had to measure Bill's 4 years in terms of over/underachievement it would look like this.

2003 - Overachieved
2004 - Underachieved
2005 - Underachieved
2006 - about on par, maybe slightly under.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
then you add in no Hitting in practice, and you have to have 4 extra coaches to teach special teams, this all isnt good at all.

if jerry jones cant see this, then i dont know what to say.

MrMom

Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:
You guys talking about specific positions on the teams and win-loss numbers are missing the point.

JJT is talking about the culture now at Valley Ranch. It's a different environment and we're starting to see the fallout.

Hit the nail on the head.

CoCo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2396398 said:
then you add in no Hitting in practice, and you have to have 4 extra coaches to teach special teams, this all isnt good at all.

if jerry jones cant see this, then i dont know what to say.

You do know that there are other teams who do not hit in practice right?

Mike Shanahan for one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:

You will be proven correct if we don't win and then make noise in the playoffs.

Personally, I'm very suspicious you are absolutely right about the culture. I have never trusted Jerry and he's making me right IMO.

We'll see.

superpunk

Reaction score
It's a bit too soon for this article, and it doesn't really take everything that has happened to this team into account.

Jerry and Wade haven't wrecked the house that Parcells built - but they're trying their hardest.

I still believe on the Holy Romo, though.

MrMom

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2396378 said:
I'm not so sure about that. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors all the time? We really don't. Maybe WP is like BP in certain situations, and there have been players who say he can be. But he isn't like him all the time.

Perhaps the team is just cursed. Maybe someone laid a black magic voodoo curse on the star. That's about as viable an option as others I've heard here.

:laugh2:

CoCo

Reaction score
superpunk;2396415 said:
It's a bit too soon for this article, and it doesn't really take everything that has happened to this team into account.

I agree. Doesn't mean that Wade isn't under investigation. He is, but the jury is still out.

Ren

Reaction score
zrinkill;2396327 said:
And why could Parcell's not win with the Powerhouse he built?

People sure have a short memory around here.

Parcells straight up quit on this team so you could say they're just following his example by quitting during games :bang2:

MrMom

Reaction score
Duane;2396363 said:
This article fails at logic as other posters have pointed out. Parcells did nothing to win when it counts.

Wrong. As Chief pointed out, JJT wasn't expounding on Parcells' win-loss record, and he admitted that the team was no longer responding to BP's coaching style, but what JJT is attacking is dead on. The culture at Valley Ranch, that BP instilled, has been torn down by Jerry.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Chief;2396348 said:

It is pretty much the same environment that we have had since Jimmy Left. The Parcells-coached teams had just as little discipline, made the same stupid mistakes, the same dumb penalties, and didn't win a single playoff game.

Parcells got rid of a few malcontents but allowed Jerry to bring in Terrell Owens without walking off the job. It was obvious that he didn't want Owens here by the way he referred to him as "the player" but he didn't do much to keep him from coming here.

By the time Parcells came to Dallas he had already contracted "Old man's disease" and was more afraid of losing than he was committed to winning. That's why he kept going with older QBs that he had a history with, Testeverde & Bledsoe, even though it was painfully obvious that they were NOT the answer for us.

Parcells was never an innovative genius in the mold of Paul Brown, Tom Landry, or Sid Gillman but was a motivator like Lombardi and Noll. "Just do what I tell you or face my wrath!" In the past he had a pretty good eye for talent at a few positions but that didn't show up much here as his drafts were mostly pretty bad except for 2005.

Unfortunately, Parcells never had the ultimate authority here the way he did in NY or NE (despite his comments about not being able to shop for the groceries there). The Owens signing was all about Jerry wanting to make it clear to Bill that HE was still the guy in charge of the team and would do whatever he wanted to with it. Parcells should have quit then if he had any huevos left but as I said, he had "old man's disease" by this time and didn't put up a fight.

Jerry has run this team from the day Jimmy left and that is why we have not had the success we should have had. The Cowboys are still the premier franchise in the NFL and Jerry has had a lot to do with that but we are not a dominant team and he has had a lot to do with that as well.

We have talent but we are not a TEAM. A TEAM needs leaders, not big names with big mouths. Romo was a happy accident, not a jewel that was uncovered through careful research. He was lucky to make the team for a couple of years as no one saw any real talent there. Once he FINALLY got his chance to play, his first pass was an INT, but then he took off and has become one of the top QBs in the league.

That wasn't Parcells' doing, in fact the case could be made that BP held Romo back while he played his AARP member QBs instead. Without Romo, this team has no leader. And without Romo this team has no chance. Parcells didn't "build" this team, he lucked out that Romo stuck around and took advantage of the opportunity when it came.

Wade has done nothing but that was to be expected since he hasn't done anything anywhere else he's been. We did expect that the defense would improve more than it has though. Garrett is the real disappointment IMO as there were high expectations of him and after how well the offense performed last year we thought he would be even better this season, but he hasn't.

Jerry wrecked this team when he put his ego ahead of winning championships back in 1994. We'd better get used to it until he dies of old age because he is NEVER going to relinquish control of the team to anyone again until the day he dies.

CoCo

Reaction score
MrMom;2396425 said:
Wrong. As Chief pointed out, JJT wasn't expounding on Parcells' win-loss record, and he admitted that the team was no longer responding to BP's coaching style, but what JJT is attacking is dead on. The culture at Valley Ranch, that BP instilled, has been torn down by Jerry.

What good is culture if it doesn't lead to achieving the mission which is winning?

Being a hardass for hardass sake is pointless.