News: DMN: Jon Gruden: Dak Prescott has some 'Donovan McNabb-like qualities'

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
Time for the coaching staff to sink or swim.. We'll see week 1

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's easy to dismiss, but McNabb was probably a Top 5 QB at his peak. Dak could do worse than a McNabb comparison.

The plus side is that he's not a goofball like McNabb.

donovan-mcnabb-dancing-gif-o.gif

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
It's easy to dismiss, but McNabb was probably a Top 5 QB at his peak. Dak could do worse than a McNabb comparison.

McNabb was a guy that was throwing to slop most of his career too. Elevated his receivers

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not really into the QB comparisons . I don't recall comparing Roger and Troy to other QB's.

The comparisons are a common analysis practice when trying to sell or validate a players ability.

My hope is he is good enough to be recognized as Dak Prescott on his own. Greatness doesn't need comparisons.

rockj7

Reaction score

I see more McNair hope without the women issues

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Hate that comparison

Always thought that McNabb was a physically gifted (arm and mobility) mental midget. He could make every throw and was a threat to run but was not a student of the game and rarely dissected defenses presnap. From all reports I've read, Dak is a film room rat and that's a great sign

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Both Donavan and Dak have a D as the first letter in their first name and they have African American blood in their system.

That's all the similarities I see.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Oh my god! Dak is a fat alcoholic? This is terrible news.

Last edited:

Western

Reaction score
McNabb comparison out of Syracuse -- not really.

From an accuracy standpoint, Prescott was a much more polished accurate passer at MSU than McNabb's tenure at Syracuse.
McNabb's last year at Syracuse -- 62% completion with 251 attempts.
Prescott's last year at MSU -- 66% completion with 477 attempts.

Also, McNabb had 26 career INT's (938 attempts) at Syraucse, while Prescott had only 23 career INT's at MSU (1169 attempts).

Out of college, Prescott was more accurate, and less turnover-prone than McNabb.

Come on Gruden, think before just fabricating naive observations.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am not sure you ever get what Gruden thinks. He seems to make strong supportive statements for all the guys that do his qb camp tv thing. That is not saying what he is saying about Dak is not true, but he doesn't stick his neck out there very often...at least on record

popp1234

Reaction score

This is the latest proof that Elvis is still alive.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
McNabb comparison out of Syracuse -- not really.

From an accuracy standpoint, Prescott was a much more polished accurate passer at MSU than McNabb's tenure at Syracuse.
McNabb's last year at Syracuse -- 62% completion with 251 attempts.
Prescott's last year at MSU -- 66% completion with 477 attempts.

Also, McNabb had 26 career INT's (938 attempts) at Syraucse, while Prescott had only 23 career INT's at MSU (1169 attempts).

Out of college, Prescott was more accurate, and less turnover-prone than McNabb.

Come on Gruden, think before just fabricating naive observations.
Completion percentage is not equal to accuracy though. Besides, McNabb's completion percentage in 1998 (9th in nation) was more impressive than Prescott's mark in 2015 (17th). One of the reasons Dak was a 4th round pick is that he was generally not very accurate on medium and long throws, something that he seems to have improved on in the offseason. We're about to find out if it was a mirage.
McNabb was just flat out streaky on all the throws, but managed to become a really good pro despite this.