News: DMN: Jon Gruden: Dak Prescott has some 'Donovan McNabb-like qualities'

erod

Reaction score
Steve McNair is a far better example, if we insist on making sure we continue to only compare him to black quarterbacks.

Alex Smith might be a better physical comparison.

Western

Reaction score
Completion percentage is not equal to accuracy though. Besides, McNabb's completion percentage in 1998 (9th in nation) was more impressive than Prescott's mark in 2015 (17th). One of the reasons Dak was a 4th round pick is that he was generally not very accurate on medium and long throws, something that he seems to have improved on in the offseason. We're about to find out if it was a mirage.
McNabb was just flat out streaky on all the throws, but managed to become a really good pro despite this.

When a QB delivers the ball to the receiver, the receiver catches the ball, a completion occurs -- the premises being presented, the conclusion is the QB was accurate in the deliver of the ball (hence, accuracy).
Based on the numbers, in college Prescott was more accurate than McNabb.

Blake

Reaction score
Steve McNair is a far better example, if we insist on making sure we continue to only compare him to black quarterbacks.

Alex Smith might be a better physical comparison.

Vince Young anybody?

Sydla

Reaction score
Hopefully one of those qualities isn't throwing worm burners like McNabb was known to do from time to tmie.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
McNabb comparison out of Syracuse -- not really.

From an accuracy standpoint, Prescott was a much more polished accurate passer at MSU than McNabb's tenure at Syracuse.
McNabb's last year at Syracuse -- 62% completion with 251 attempts.
Prescott's last year at MSU -- 66% completion with 477 attempts.

Also, McNabb had 26 career INT's (938 attempts) at Syraucse, while Prescott had only 23 career INT's at MSU (1169 attempts).

Out of college, Prescott was more accurate, and less turnover-prone than McNabb.

Come on Gruden, think before just fabricating naive observations.

The stats sound similar to me. :huh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's an insult. McFlabb was an average QB

Uh, no, he wasn't. He might not have been Hall of Fame worthy, but he wasn't average. He took his team to four NFC Championship games, and his defense no one is going to confuse with the Ravens, Giants, Bears, Steelers greats.

And he always seem to beat the Cowboys, especially that two-minute-scramble before-hooking-up-with-a-receiver-on-a-long-throw game that Dallas fans would love to forget. :(

Hate him if you wish, but average quarterbacks don't get their teams one game from the Super Bowl four times without a legendary defense.

Western

Reaction score
The stats sound similar to me. :huh:
Really?

Given the importance of the QB position, a QB that is more accurate and complete more passes is equal to a QB who is less accurate and completes less passes?
In a game where one or two passes can determine the outcome for a team, give me the QB that is proven to be more accurate any day of the week.
Even the existence of the smallest percentage difference, is vital in establishing which QB is more likely to be accurate when the game is on the line.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Really?

Given the importance of the QB position, a QB that is more accurate and complete more passes is equal to a QB who is less accurate and completes less passes?
In a game where one or two passes can determine the outcome for a team, give me the QB that is proven to be more accurate any day of the week.
Even the existence of the smallest percentage difference, is vital in establishing which QB is more likely to be accurate when the game is on the line.

An accuracy difference of 4 percent translate to what?
Throwing three more interceptions (and we don't know under what circumstances those interceptions were thrown, i.e., Hail Mary at the end of a half, ball bounces off a receiver's hands into a defender's hands) should be seen as a huge difference how?

66% accuracy vs. 62% accuracy isn't that big a difference to me.
26 interceptions to 23 interceptions isn't that big a difference to me.
That's why I said they sound similar to me. That doesn't mean that Dak will become McNabb. I just don't see the glaring differences between the two stats.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
When a QB delivers the ball to the receiver, the receiver catches the ball, a completion occurs -- the premises being presented, the conclusion is the QB was accurate in the deliver of the ball (hence, accuracy).
Based on the numbers, in college Prescott was more accurate than McNabb.
Err, no. Completion percentage is not accuracy. Also did it ever cross your mind that football was played differently in 2015 than in 1998? Modern college QBs throw shorter passes designed to get receivers the ball in space; last century they threw fewer but longer passes and mostly to pick up first downs. Which is why McNabb's completion percentage ranking higher, as well as his yards per attempt being a full yard more than Prescott's, are important details. McNabb was the more accurate QB for his era, which is all you can compare. You can't compare numbers across eras, or Joe Flacco would be better than Roger Staubach.

dfense

Reaction score
He had some Donovan McNabb-like qualities.

Was he referring to throwing up in the huddle or repeatedly driving while intoxicated?