News: DMN: Jon Gruden: Dak Prescott has some 'Donovan McNabb-like qualities'

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hate that comparison

Always thought that McNabb was a physically gifted (arm and mobility) mental midget. He could make every throw and was a threat to run but was not a student of the game and rarely dissected defenses presnap. From all reports I've read, Dak is a film room rat and that's a great sign

People are taking the comparisons overboard.

The McNabb/Prescott comparison is about play style. No one is saying they are the same person with the same values and same work ethic. Come on people.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't see that one at all.

Not sure how you're defining physical talent, but Wilson is also a better athlete than Dak.

Bigger arm, bigger body, and just as mobile.

He will have his best success in the NFL doing what Russell Wilson does with all of the zone reads, PA's, Misdirection, bootlegs, ect...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I am not seeing it. If anything Dak reminds me of a bigger Wilson.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As sensitive as everyone is about race it always cracks me up how blatant it is that black QBs have to be compared to past black QBs

I'm not saying you said or implied this, so let me address that right off the bat. I'm just using your comment to address a greater point. Having said that, there's nothing wrong or racist about comparing black people to black people, whites to whites, etc.

That's simply how our brains process information, we categorize like things with other like things whether it's race or gender or style of play, etc.

Because of racism, we've taken normal and natural occurrences and evaluations that we ALL process as humans and made them somehow "abnormal" or "racist".

But there's nothing inherently wrong in comparing Prescott to McNabb. They're both black quarterbacks who have a similar style of play. And when you have more elements alike than are dissimilar, you (we) tend to choose the comparison with the greater number of similarities. That's why you're going to see more comparisons with Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb than you are with Steve Young and John Elway or Tim Tebow (who couldn't throw as well as Dak) - two scrambling quarterbacks who are white.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I'm assuming everyone else read this in Jon Gruden's voice? I'll tell ya what man :thumbup:

Western

Reaction score
Err, no. Completion percentage is not accuracy. Also did it ever cross your mind that football was played differently in 2015 than in 1998? Modern college QBs throw shorter passes designed to get receivers the ball in space; last century they threw fewer but longer passes and mostly to pick up first downs. Which is why McNabb's completion percentage ranking higher, as well as his yards per attempt being a full yard more than Prescott's, are important details. McNabb was the more accurate QB for his era, which is all you can compare. You can't compare numbers across eras, or Joe Flacco would be better than Roger Staubach.

In 1997, Paul Pasqualoni, McNabb's head coach at Syracuse installed the West Coast passing scheme.
Pasqualoni contacted Mike Holmgren and then-offensive coordinator for Green Bay Andy Reid, and watched Packer film and Packer practice.
McNabb was schooled in the short-passing game while at Syracuse.

McNabb averaged 1 (.9 to be exact) yard per attempt more than Prescott -- hardly an indication that McNabb threw longer passes.
And by the way, Prescott played in the SEC, while McNabb playing those "powerhouse football teams" in the Big East - Temple, Boston College, Rutgers, & Pittsburgh.

In football, if a QB delivers the ball (completion) without mistakes, I say the QB is accurate.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I just don't see anything the same unless you want to make general statements like they are mobile.
To be honest, from what ive seen of both QBs, I like Daks footwork and his accuracy much better. Maybe im biased

reddyuta

Reaction score
To be honest, from what ive seen of both QBs, I like Daks footwork and his accuracy much better. Maybe im biased
Imo Daks footwork needs the most improvement apart from learning to play under center.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
What I liked about Donovan early in his career was that he just genuinely seemed to enjoy being out there. Seemed cool headed, calm, loose. I think the negativity of playing in Philly and the pressure of getting that crap city its first ring gradually beat that out of him, but IMO a significant part of what determines success for QB's and other high pressure positions is simply whether they're the kind of guy who looks forward to Sunday or the kind of guy who dreads it.

With Dak, I hope the coaching staff can keep him loose because the media's efforts can only have the opposite effect. When asked how he was being prepared, Siemian said the Broncos coaching staff was doing a good job of basically saying "go out and play." All things being equal Dak will perform better if he enjoys what he's doing, and with the weapons around him, he shouldn't be wound too tight.