News: DMN: Michael Irvin: Sorry Jerry Rice, but I didn’t need stickum when I played

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good response on the "higher standards", but the key and relative words I feel are "tempered response". Like WG said, indignation is what I have a problem with when people discuss the public failures of others.

Well, some people are really good at pointing out others' mistakes and overlooking their own. Even with Irvin's, I don't respect some of the choices he's made, but I've made some I'm not proud of ... not on the same scale, but still enough to hopefully keep me somewhat humble.

Again, that doesn't mean we don't identify wrong as wrong, but we need to do it for that purpose and not to beat our own drum.

Rice's admission identifies him as a cheater. It doesn't make him any worse than anyone else who has ever cheated, but no matter how good he was, he deserves that criticism, especially from players who didn't. However, there's definitely a difference between criticism and indignation.

Last edited:

JDSmith

Reaction score
Irvin has absolutely earned the right to be indignant about this issue. Jerry Rice came out and said he used stickum and that everyone did it. Irvin didn't, he doesn't need to be lumped in with those who did.

If Irvin came out and started talking about the white house and banging strippers and partying until 3 am every night and said 'Everyone did it' there would be plenty of people who got indignant at being labeled like that. Even if those people were not squeaky clean in other areas of their lives.

One has no bearing on the other, he was accused of doing something he didn't do - even if it was an indirect accusation. He then had to field countless questions about it. That gives him every right to be indignant about that particular question.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
He is still my favorite player, so what does that say about my standards:D
He's my favorite player, too. I'll be happy to explain what it says about my standards: on the field, there was no harder worker, no tougher competitor than The Playmaker. He was a strong motivator to others around him, too. Off the field, we all make mistakes. Who am I to judge?

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Well, some people are really good at pointing out others' mistakes and overlooking their own. Even with Irvin's, I don't respect some of the choices he's made, but I've made some I'm not proud of ... not on the same scale, but still enough to hopefully keep me somewhat humble.

Again, that doesn't mean we don't identify wrong as wrong, but we need to do it for that purpose and not to beat our own drum.

Rice's admission identifies him as a cheater. It doesn't make him any worse than anyone else who has ever cheated, but no matter how good he was, he deserves that criticism, especially from players who didn't. However, there's definitely a difference between criticism and indignation.

Myself, I think women beaters & child abusers are worse than anyone else....it touches me in a different way. I try very hard to stay out of those conversations in a football forum but sometimes I get drawn in. It's too personal and emotional. But again, that's just me.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Succinct!