DMN Monday Photos

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Are you an official?

The last line is the KEY, if it restricts movement. It's a term called advantage/disadvantage. What Rogers is doing fits within the rules, the grabbing of the jersey is incidental UNLESS it goes beyond the frame or restricts the defenders movement.
If my jersey is getting stretched as much as this example shows, my movement is impeded.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
If my jersey is getting stretched as much as this example shows, my movement is impeded.

How do you know?

Which way are they moving?

Is it a run play or a pass play?

What happened a split second later?

What you are seeing is, IMO, the moment after impact. Rogers got him with his hands and snapped him back, and that is why the jersey is stretched.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
How do you know?

Which way are they moving?

Is it a run play or a pass play?

What happened a split second later?

What you are seeing is, IMO, the moment after impact. Rogers got him with his hands and snapped him back, and that is why the jersey is stretched.
If an official also sees that split second, it is a flag, or certainly could be. We are talking about a rule based on a judgement call.

But you are right, I don't know.

Of course if you flip that coin over it will say you don't know either.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
0802jones.jpg
If he was wearing #22 and didn't have the name on the helmet I'd swear that was Emmitt Smith.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
If an official also sees that split second, it is a flag, or certainly could be. We are talking about a rule based on a judgement call.

But you are right, I don't know.

Of course if you flip that coin over it will say you don't know either.

A good official does not call something in a split second, especially in football, where most penalties do not stop play. A good official lets the play happen. Then decides if it had an effect.

In basketball the definition of a foul is: illegal contact that hinders normal offensive or defensive movement. So by rule, you may have something that is technically a foul, but it did not hender and is therefore incidental contact.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
A good official does not call something in a split second, especially in football, where most penalties do not stop play. A good official lets the play happen. Then decides if it had an effect.
I agree. The problem is you deemed the play legal without any clue where the ball is.

As far as we know a running back just broke wide and the defender is trying to chase but has his jersey grabbed.

you said:
Actually, that's legal as long as you are locked up like that, but you can't do that from the side or go past the front of the torso.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
I agree. The problem is you deemed the play legal without any clue where the ball is.

As far as we know a running back just broke wide and the defender is trying to chase but has his jersey grabbed.

But it is legal in a split second. Read the rules that DCB posted, they say illegal contact must immediately stop and the hands must move inside the front of the torso. So even if the grab was illegal, if he released the jersey a split second later, there is no penalty.

The way the NFL officials interprete the rules, that play is legal, unless he pulls, encircles, or redirects the defenders movement.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
It looks like the only way he is impeading his movement is preventing him from falling on his ***.