News: DMN: National columnist: The Cowboys 'aren't that good,' have a 'soft' 9-1 record

romothesavior

Reaction score
One of the problems with this argument is that the NFL has so few truly good teams this year.

Never mind the wins at Lambeau, and at Pittsburgh, and against Cincinnati and Washington and Philly. Those teams aren't that great, and since the Cowboys don't play the Seahawks or Patriots or Broncos this year, their schedule must be "soft" and therefore they are a paper tiger.

Ok bro.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The Cowboys are 9-1, best in the NFL and looking reminiscent of the 1990s Cowboys teams - or at least close. But Fox Sports columnist Chris Chase isn't buying the hype. The Cowboys are very beatable, he says.

"The Dallas Cownoys aren't that good, at least they haven't proved it yet," Chase wrote. "Saying 'that good' is in reference to their 9-1 record, seeming offensive indestructibility and status as favorites in the NFC.

"The truth is the record is soft, the offense is vulnerable and they're a clear second behind Seattle as the rightful favorite to win the NFC."

Nine NFL defenses - including highly touted ones like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore - may think otherwise about the Cowboys offensive vulnerability. In fact, barring a Terrance Williams misstep in Game 1 vs. the Giants - perhaps the Cowboys would be sitting at 10-0.

Chase argues that the Cowboys have played an easy schedule, at 1-1 vs. teams with winning records and 8-0 against a host of .500 or worse teams.

Chase qualifies his criticism, noting that "We've found out that Dallas is a team that doesn't play down to its competition." But still, he says, 9-1 is the result of "schedule ephemera."

SportsDay insider David Moore disputed the claim that the Cowboys have gotten lucky en route to 9-1 in his column Sunday after the Cowboys' 27-17 win vs. Baltimore.

"Those who choose to fret about the cracks in Michelangelo's David rather than revel in its beauty, those who insist we won't discover what this Cowboys team is all about until it faces adversity are ignoring a universal truth," Moore said. "The Cowboys have overcome plenty of adversity this season. Sunday's 27-17 win over Baltimore is the latest example."

Moore continued:

"An offense that couldn't get anything going early couldn't be stopped late to extend its winning streak to a franchise-record nine games.

"A defense that was gashed early and missing two starters in the secondary responded to ensure the Cowboys are now working on 71 days without a loss.

"Adversity? You stare first-and-30 in the face and not only pick that up but lead the Cowboys to a touchdown the way rookie Dak Prescott did. You lose Pro Bowl veterans to injury throughout the season, starting with quarterback Tony Romo, and fashion the NFL's best record.

"This group has shown time and time again it can come back from adversity. "

What do you think, Cowboys fans? Has America's Team overcome adversity?

Click here to read Chase's full column.

Continue reading...
Weak sad ploy for attention and nothing more than click bait. I stopped at the reference that our offense is vulnerable..lol

aikemirv

Reaction score
We have been one of the few teams that have dominated their opponents.

Cinncinatti, Chicago, Green Bay, Browns - You look at other teams out there and we have made some opponents look pathetic while other teams struggle with them.

While I have no problem with someone saying Seattle is better, to say we have a soft schedule is pretty ridiculous based on what we have done to them. There is nothing soft about the NFC East or going into Pittsburgh and playing Baltimore!

pansophy

Reaction score
We are supposed to have a soft schedule this year after our result last year. I'm still worried that Dak won't be ready to get us over the finish line in the same way Big Ben wasn't ready his rookie year. But taking it to the Raven's defense, I'm not sure what else we could ask.

Seattle is getting healthier while we are missing some guys on defense. Mo is probably done for the year. What about Scandrick?

Like most years this post season will probably come down to health.

hairic

Reaction score
I know through 9 games Dallas played the easiest 9 game schedule they had seen since 2002. It's between two and three deviations from the norm in how easy it was.

1st 10 games: 37 other NFL wins faced
Last 6 games: 35 other NFL wins to face

The strength of schedule midpoint was the middle of the Baltimore game; this is the part of the season that starts to balance the schedule and nullifies the argument.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering who are the good teams, Raiders, Falcons, Chiefs, Dolphins? I think we would be favorites against any of them even Denver. Only teams I see that would be favorite against us are NE and Seattle.

Just beat who is on the schedule. It's dejavu, they used to say the same thing about the 1992 schedule because we played so many back ups QBs, said it would show up in playoffs, well we know how that ended.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We are supposed to have a soft schedule this year after our result last year. I'm still worried that Dak won't be ready to get us over the finish line in the same way Big Ben wasn't ready his rookie year. But taking it to the Raven's defense, I'm not sure what else we could ask.

Seattle is getting healthier while we are missing some guys on defense. Mo is probably done for the year. What about Scandrick?

Like most years this post season will probably come down to health.

Mo said he is looking at the end of the season or the beginning of the playoffs.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
One of the problems with this argument is that the NFL has so few truly good teams this year.

Never mind the wins at Lambeau, and at Pittsburgh, and against Cincinnati and Washington and Philly. Those teams aren't that great, and since the Cowboys don't play the Seahawks or Patriots or Broncos this year, their schedule must be "soft" and therefore they are a paper tiger.

Ok bro.
Yeah...but those teams were great/good until we kicked their butt...and now the narrative has changed. That's why media has no credibility with me. They need to buy some integrity from Dak and pick up their trash.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I guess your starting QB dropping before the season starts isn't adversity if you win anyway.
I guess you don't get to call your backup QB rolling to the best record in the league "overcoming" if the guy turns out to be good.
I guess your rookies really aren't rookies if they play better than everyone else in the league.
I guess your QB is overrated if he plays behind a good offensive line--unless his name is "Marcus Mariota" or "Derek Carr."
I guess putting 400 yards and 27 points on the best defense in the league doesn't count because...well...it just doesn't.

Embrace the hate!