News: DMN: National columnist: The Cowboys 'aren't that good,' have a 'soft' 9-1 record

aikemirv

Reaction score
I know through 9 games Dallas played the easiest 9 game schedule they had seen since 2002. It's between two and three deviations from the norm in how easy it was.

1st 10 games: 37 other NFL wins faced
Last 6 games: 35 other NFL wins to face

The strength of schedule midpoint was the middle of the Baltimore game; this is the part of the season that starts to balance the schedule and nullifies the argument.

You seem to have some statistical knowledge here but doesn't it figure that the last 6 teams would have more wins based on where we are in the season?.. after 10 games. That seems flawed to me. When we played Washington, New York and Philly the first time it was at the very beginning of the season so obviously they would not have any(NY) or many wins.

pansophy

Reaction score
I know through 9 games Dallas played the easiest 9 game schedule they had seen since 2002. It's between two and three deviations from the norm in how easy it was.

1st 10 games: 37 other NFL wins faced
Last 6 games: 35 other NFL wins to face

The strength of schedule midpoint was the middle of the Baltimore game; this is the part of the season that starts to balance the schedule and nullifies the argument.
Looking at the current power rankings thread, we have only beaten one team in the top 10 (Commanders) and lost to the other (Giants). Dak is continuing to get better, so the team the Giants faced week 1 that kicked a lot of red zone field goals no longer exists. Still everyone else we have beaten is in the bottom half of the league.

So at best we really don't know what this team can do. 2014 wasn't that dissimilar and our lack of pass rush kept us from being competitive against top flight offenses.

I think it's hard to know how good we really are at this point.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Looking at the current power rankings thread, we have only beaten one team in the top 10 (Commanders) and lost to the other (Giants). Dak is continuing to get better, so the team the Giants faced week 1 that kicked a lot of red zone field goals no longer exists. Still everyone else we have beaten is in the bottom half of the league.

So at best we really don't know what this team can do. 2014 wasn't that dissimilar and our lack of pass rush kept us from being competitive against top flight offenses.

I think it's hard to know how good we really are at this point.

We know how good our offense is.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Look. He's not wrong. I've been saying we've been fortunate in that a schedule that looked daunting to start the year has proven to be softer than anticipated.

I've also said I'm not in the business of apologizing for it. Home field advantage and a bye is all that is important. When you win it all nobody remembers what your strength of schedule was.

pansophy

Reaction score
You seem to have some statistical knowledge here but doesn't it figure that the last 6 teams would have more wins based on where we are in the season?.. after 10 games. That seems flawed to me. When we played Washington, New York and Philly the first time it was at the very beginning of the season so obviously they would not have any(NY) or many wins.

The amount of games played is the same though. So add up all the wins teams have through 10 weeks - the teams we have played and the teams we haven't played are all based on the number of wins through 10 weeks.

The 10 teams we have already beaten have 37 wins in 10 weeks.
The 6 teams we have not played have 35 wins in 10 weeks.

Clearly the 6 teams we have yet to play to have a lot more wins than the 10 we already played.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Chris Chase?
YRZLkFC.gif

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
haha, wow. what a clown.

he has a history of it. Said aikman isn't a hall of famer, wrote a bunch of false stories about the stadium...He does this to every team though also, a quick search of his crap and you will see he thinks russell wilson isn't that good...

He is a skip bayless type. Just shouts stupid stuff for attention and unfortunately he must be getting it.

Funny to see the same people that agreed with his take on zeke and how he wouldn't help that much agree with this article that Dallas isn't good because they haven't beaten anyone.

BTW this is exactly what they did to the 2007 cowboys. Even though we beat a number of good teams it just turned into there not that good, I remember in the washington post a writer asked if Dallas was even good enough to be in the playoffs...we were 13-3 beat the Commanders, packers and giants twice who were all playoff teams. Ridiculous but it is the format for attention.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The amount of games played is the same though. So add up all the wins teams have through 10 weeks - the teams we have played and the teams we haven't played are all based on the number of wins through 10 weeks.

The 10 teams we have already beaten have 37 wins in 10 weeks.
The 6 teams we have not played have 35 wins in 10 weeks.

Clearly the 6 teams we have yet to play to have a lot more wins than the 10 we already played.

Ok gotcha.

Proof

Reaction score
I can objectively see how the teams we've played could potentially offer some opportunity to question if the team is as good as advertised. I can not in any circumstance see how anyone could question the offense though. By any metric. Very strange. Also if the floor is "2nd best in the NFC" what are we really talking about here?

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
It's also important to keep in mind: The Cowboys have contributed 9 losses and 1 win to their opponent's records. And they've soundly beat almost every team they've played outside the division. They have the best differential in the league. They aren't eeking by weak opponents, they aren't relying on big plays and luck; they are soundly beating almost every team they play and have done a great job at rebounding when things look bleak.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So according to this guy, our schedule should consist of 8 games versus the Seahawks and 8 games versus the Patriots.

Or would that still quality as a "soft" record? Some people love to write things they KNOW is untrue, just for the sake of clicks.

I miss old days of journalism.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
he has a history of it. Said aikman isn't a hall of famer, wrote a bunch of false stories about the stadium...He does this to every team though also, a quick search of his crap and you will see he thinks russell wilson isn't that good...

He is a skip bayless type. Just shouts stupid stuff for attention and unfortunately he must be getting it.

Funny to see the same people that agreed with his take on zeke and how he wouldn't help that much agree with this article that Dallas isn't good because they haven't beaten anyone.

BTW this is exactly what they did to the 2007 cowboys. Even though we beat a number of good teams it just turned into there not that good, I remember in the washington post a writer asked if Dallas was even good enough to be in the playoffs...we were 13-3 beat the Commanders, packers and giants twice who were all playoff teams. Ridiculous but it is the format for attention.

I'm used to the shade being thrown, because it's the Cowboys and it generates attention and that's all sports media cares about (which is why I think that sports media is largely a complete joke). They know what brings clicks, and there's nothing better than the polarization of a team to do that.

I just think it's funny that he railed against our draft when it could turn out to be the most productive we've ever had and Elliott has proven to be a great pick.