DMN: NFL VP of Officiating: It’s not unreasonable to watch everything Dez did and think

blindzebra

Reaction score
So many words, but you won't answer the questions that have been asked of you. Why ISN'T handing the ball to the ref "non-catch" ?????

It happened WELL AFTER contact with the ground. But by the current rule, even that preposterous scenario is enforceable, if contact with the ground is not defined. Obviously, handing the ref the ball should not be a "non-catch" I believe there is an instant where, if a knee or elbow is down, the play is over.

Tell me if rule 1 has any defined limit to "contacting the ground"
COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS
Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass.
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward
pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands
; and (c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to
perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it,
advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc .).
Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.
Note 2
: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of
possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.
If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands
to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.
Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete

*process of contacting the ground is complete when anything other than a hand or foot contacts the ground.

The problem is they are applying a rule meant for the sideline and endzone where a football move can not exist to a play in the field of play. A player falling OOB or in the endzone is not becoming a runner. Dez did all three provisions of a catch. They are missapplying a rule to fit the overturn that they wanted to happen because of the Detroit game and the TMZ party bus story.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Had Dez just concentrated on making the catch and not try to extend ball over the goal line it would have been a completion that never had to be reviewed. He's an instinctive player that's looking to score on every play but in that situation he should have just secured the catch not allowing the ball to touch the ground.

blindzebra

Reaction score
This video is UNDISPUTABLE evidence the ball CLEARLY touched the ground. Let's see if all the FANS who liked your post care to dispute the ball didn't touch the ground after watching this. LOL This isn't the first time this shot has been shown but you still have FANS who are in such denial they won't even admit the ball touched the ground.

And from that video did we see the ball move? Yes or no?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
For me it's simple. Dez caught the ball and had it in two hands, he could have gone down exactly like that and it would have been ruled a catch. Instead he switched it to his dominant hand and tried to extend for the endzone, as a result the ball was bobbled on contact with the ground. But switching it to his dominant hand and extended were football moves, and so it should have been a catch at that point - everything else is window dressing.

We didn't get the ruling for one reason and one reason only - the human factor. Specifically the fact that public perception was that we were gifted the Lions game. The league could not possibly rule in our favor in any way that could be disputed or discussed. And since the Megatron rule is named after a freaking Lions player there is no way they were giving that call to us - right or wrong - simply because it was open to debate. Had they ruled it a catch all 265 Lions fans would be crying all over the internet. But more importantly every Cowboys hater would be using that as 'proof' that the league favors the Cowboys and a poor team like the Lions can't get the same kind of treatment. Look at how many people ignored the foul by the Lions' player on the non-interference play, simply to have an excuse to cry about preferential treatment for the Cowboys. Is there anyone who honestly thinks the league didn't notice that uproar all week? So they ruled against us because it was close and would have created controversy either way.

Blandino will never admit that, so he's going to continue to go on shows and pretend it had nothing to do with it. But the league cares about public perception more than anything. The public perception leading up to that game was that the Cowboys were getting favors by the officials, so we got screwed to make it appear otherwise.

Good post. You also left out the part that Blandino was caught on the Cowboys party bus and people thought he was potentially being partial to the Cowboys. This situation gave Blandino the perfect chance to prove he wasn't and get away from media scrutiny. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-party-bus-incident-has-no-bearing-on-calls/

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And from that video did we see the ball move? Yes or no?

Not from that angle because his body is in the way. LOL You can clearly see the ball pop up and move after it contacted the ground on the first video I posted. You actually want to dispute the ball never popped up and came loose after it contacted the ground? :cool:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's already been beaten to death in the dozen plus threads that have been started on this and fully explained. He was going to the ground as soon as he came down the steps he took were stumbling steps as his momentum was taking him to the ground therefore he has to maintain control of the football all the way through the contact of the ground. Despite the 2 steps Dez never fully established himself as a runner because he was stumbling to the ground.

I've never seen where stumbling to the ground was written into the rule.

Can you show me?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I've never seen where stumbling to the ground was written into the rule.

Can you show me?

A player has to establish themselves as a runner and they can't do that as they're stumbling forward on their way to the ground. The rule is pretty clear cut and Dez never established himself as a runner because his momentum was taking him to the ground. I've heard Blandino and several rules officials explain the play and they all agree Dez never established himself as a runner because he was immediately going to the ground due to his momentum.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Not from that angle because his body is in the way. LOL You can clearly see the ball pop up and move after it contacted the ground on the first video I posted. You actually want to dispute the ball never popped up and came loose after it contacted the ground? :cool:

Thus the indisputable visual evidence, you can't see the ball bounce off the ground in either video. You see Dez's hand and arm securely holding the ball as he hits the ground and the ball pops up AFTER he starts to roll over. The ball touching the ground does not make it incomplete, him losing the ball because it bounced off the ground does. So once again Seratore is not supposed to assume because it touched from one angle...one we never saw while it was being reviewed by the way... and comes loose from another that it conclusively hit the ground. Replay does not work that way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thus the indisputable visual evidence, you can't see the ball bounce off the ground in either video. You see Dez's hand and arm securely holding the ball as he hits the ground and the ball pops up AFTER he starts to roll over. The ball touching the ground does not make it incomplete, him losing the ball because it bounced off the ground does. So once again Seratore is not supposed to assume because it touched from one angle...one we never saw while it was being reviewed by the way... and comes loose from another that it conclusively hit the ground. Replay does not work that way.

I'm not about to waste my time arguing this again. I'm done with it and onto the 2015 season.

blindzebra

Reaction score
A player has to establish themselves as a runner and they can't do that as they're stumbling forward on their way to the ground. The rule is pretty clear cut and Dez never established himself as a runner because his momentum was taking him to the ground. I've heard Blandino and several rules officials explain the play and they all agree Dez never established himself as a runner because he was immediately going to the ground due to his momentum.

There is no guideline to establishing your self as a runner in the rules from 2014. A catch occurs when you catch the ball and have control, have both feet inbounds, and have time to or make a move common to the game. Dez caught it, had control, got two feet down, turned began a 3rd step and that was when he started to go down.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah because you are wrong and are running away.

Dude, I argued this more than a hundred times this offseason and no amount of arguing isn't going to change the minds of biased FANS like you. You won't even admit the ball came loose. LOL I'm not wrong and the NFL wasn't wrong or they would have admitted they got it wrong and the rule would have been changed....nuff said!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There is no guideline to establishing your self as a runner in the rules from 2014. A catch occurs when you catch the ball and have control, have both feet inbounds, and have time to or make a move common to the game. Dez caught it, had control, got two feet down, turned began a 3rd step and that was when he started to go down.

A receiver who's in the process of going to the ground doesn't have control of the ball until they complete the process of going to the ground and hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground. Dez never had solid footing from the time he landed and his momentum was taking him to the ground therefore he had to hang onto the ball through the contact of the ground and he didn't. The ball came loose upon contacting the ground and he regained control after that. Under the RULE that's a no catch.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Dude, I argued this more than a hundred times this offseason and no amount of arguing isn't going to change the minds of biased FANS like you. You won't even admit the ball came loose. LOL I'm not wrong and the NFL wasn't wrong or they would have admitted they got it wrong and the rule would have been changed....nuff said!

The wording of the rule DID change after the fact. You and your crew of contrarians keep using the words established himself as a runner as proof it was not a catch well guess what skippie, that was not in the rule at the time of the play. Blandino was on records saying it was overturned because Dez did not make enough of a football move, they were attempting to justify it under the old rule, and when that did not work it became establishing yourself as a runner. It is called CYA, he was getting heat because of the Detroit game and then TMZ put out the party bus story...any play review in that game was going against Dallas and it did, twice.

blindzebra

Reaction score
A receiver who's in the process of going to the ground doesn't have control of the ball until they complete the process of going to the ground and hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground. Dez never had solid footing from the time he landed and his momentum was taking him to the ground therefore he had to hang onto the ball through the contact of the ground and he didn't. The ball came loose upon contacting the ground and he regained control after that. Under the RULE that's a no catch.

Bull****

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Someone remind KJJ that just because someone is off balance does not mean they are going to fall down.

blindzebra

Reaction score
If so the NFL would have admitted they were wrong and changed the RULE.

Then why did Blandino say it was not enough of a football move back in January? And they did change the rule by adding becoming a runner.

The NFL did not admit it because they got heat about the Detroit game and TMZ ran the party bus story where Blandino was on it partying with Stephen, that call was getting overturned regardless of the rules. Don't think so than explain the Cobb catch before halftime.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The wording of the rule DID change after the fact. You and your crew of contrarians keep using the words established himself as a runner as proof it was not a catch well guess what skippie, that was not in the rule at the time of the play. Blandino was on records saying it was overturned because Dez did not make enough of a football move, they were attempting to justify it under the old rule, and when that did not work it became establishing yourself as a runner. It is called CYA, he was getting heat because of the Detroit game and then TMZ put out the party bus story...any play review in that game was going against Dallas and it did, twice.

I predicted in a post to Percy months ago during the MANY debates I had on this topic that the NFL would do away with the so called "football move" and "move common to the game" because not even Blandino could come up with an explanation that made sense to anyone. Dez's momentum was taking him forward while in the air making the catch. As he landed the defender was in the way and Dez was clearly going to the ground unable to maintain his footing.

Everyone agrees Dez caught the ball even league officials admit that but under the RULE a player going to the ground has to maintain control of the ball all the way through the contact of the ground and Dez didn't. Go look at the Calvin Johnson play he held onto the ball longer than Dez but because he was going to the ground he had to hang onto the ball all the way through the contact of the ground and he didn't. It's a dumb rule but it's the RULE and will continue to be the RULE.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

So you're saying Dez didn't make an act common to the game? Interesting that high pointing a ball, landing with said ball, shifting hands that are holding said ball, taking 3 steps with said ball, diving Yo score a touchdown with said ball, and bracing your impact as you do so. All seem like things you'd do in a football game.

Last edited: