DMN: NFL VP of Officiating: It’s not unreasonable to watch everything Dez did and think

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Then why did Blandino say it was not enough of a football move back in January? And they did change the rule by adding becoming a runner.

The NFL did not admit it because they got heat about the Detroit game and TMZ ran the party bus story where Blandino was on it partying with Stephen, that call was getting overturned regardless of the rules. Don't think so than explain the Cobb catch before halftime.

He said that because Dez's momentum was taking him forward and he was stumbling to the ground. He then tried steering away from the so called "football move" because not even he could explain what it is to anyone's satisfaction which is why I predicted the league would do away with the so called "football move" and "move common to the game." I'm not going to sit here and argue rules on different plays. The problem with officiating it involves human beings using their own personal "judgment" to make these calls.

You had 2 people Blandino and Steratore using their "judgment" on the play and they agreed as did the league after reviewing the play that the final call was correct according to the RULE. If the refs make a mistake the NFL admits it. They admitted making a mistake on the Benny Barnes PI call in the SB vs the Steelers which resulted in the incidental contact rule only a few months later.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
There is no guideline to establishing your self as a runner in the rules from 2014. A catch occurs when you catch the ball and have control, have both feet inbounds, and have time to or make a move common to the game. Dez caught it, had control, got two feet down, turned began a 3rd step and that was when he started to go down.
This is all correct, with the only addition being that completing the catch process is exactly the thing that establishes the player as a runner. That's straight from Blandino, 2013.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is all correct, with the only addition being that completing the catch process is exactly the thing that establishes the player as a runner. That's straight from Blandino, 2013.

Good luck, dude! You and Blindzebra....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you're saying Dez didn't make an act common to the game? Interesting high pointing a ball. Landing with said ball. Shifting hands that are holding said ball. Taking 3 steps with said ball. Diving with said ball. Bracing your impact as you do so. All seem like things you'd do in a football game.

Blandino and the league couldn't explain to anyone's satisfaction what an act common to the game is so that won't be used anymore. Everything including an act common to the game goes out the window when a player is going to the ground. When a player is going to the ground they are required to complete a process which includes hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground. That part will never change at least not in the foreseeable future.

blindzebra

Reaction score
He said that because Dez's momentum was taking him forward and he was stumbling to the ground. He then tried steering away from the so called "football move" because not even he could explain what it is to anyone's satisfaction which is why I predicted the league would do away with the so called "football move" and "move common to the game." I'm not going to sit here and argue rules on different plays. The problem with officiating it involves human beings using their own personal "judgment" to make these calls.

You had 2 people Blandino and Steratore using their "judgment" on the play and they agreed as did the league after reviewing the play that the final call was correct according to the RULE. If the refs make a mistake the NFL admits it. They admitted making a mistake on the Benny Barnes PI call in the SB vs the Steelers which resulted in the incidental contact rule only a few months later.

There was no judgement Blandino went into that game determined to not seem biased toward Dallas, because of the Detroit game and the party bus. We saw it before the half with Cobb and then again with Dez. The changing stories of why is because they were making up reasons as they went along.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
I think I finally understand. They determined that Dez Bryant was not making a football move ( taking steps) but that he was falling to the ground, which is not the same thing as taking steps AKA football move. So it was ruled no catch. Am I right?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There was no judgement Blandino went into that game determined to not seem biased toward Dallas, because of the Detroit game and the party bus. We saw it before the half with Cobb and then again with Dez. The changing stories of why is because they were making up reasons as they went along.

:rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Blandino and the league couldn't explain to anyone's satisfaction what an act common to the game is so that won't be used anymore. Everything including an act common to the game goes out the window when a player is going to the ground. When a player is going to the ground they are required to complete a process which includes hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground. That part will never change at least not in the foreseeable future.

I am so sick of people that don't understand how subsections of rules work. The falling and control is if the other 3 requirements are not met and for players falling OOB or in the endzone where an act common to the game will not occur. To implement this rule any other way would mean that receivers that are tackled must possess it through completion to the ground as well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Everything including an act common to the game goes out the window when a player is going to the ground. When a player is going to the ground they are required to complete a process which includes hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground.
This is where the confusion comes in. The rule doesn't apply to all players going to the ground -- just receivers. A runner who was contacted isn't required to maintain possession after hitting the ground.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I think I finally understand. They determined that Dez Bryant was not making a football move ( taking steps) but that he was falling to the ground, which is not the same thing as taking steps AKA football move. So it was ruled no catch. Am I right?

That is what some are telling you but not how the rule reads or was meant to be applied.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I am so sick of people that don't understand how subsections of rules work. The falling and control is if the other 3 requirements are not met and for players falling OOB or in the endzone where an act common to the game will not occur. To implement this rule any other way would mean that receivers that are tackled must possess it through completion to the ground as well.

Go explain that to the league and tell them how the rules should work. LOL

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is where the confusion comes in. The rule doesn't apply to all players going to the ground -- just receivers. A runner who was contacted isn't required to maintain possession after hitting the ground.

I know we've discussed it. There isn't anything concerning this topic you and I haven't discussed.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Go explain that to the league and tell them how the rules should work. LOL

I have officiated for over 20 years in games, unlike Blandino who was sitting in front of a tv pretending to be an official, and know how to read and interpret a rulebook. You are 100% wrong and they are changing their story to cover their ***.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Almost. The steps weren't the only football moves that made it a catch. There was also the switch of the ball to one hand, the lunge, and the reach for the goal line. That last one is undeniably a football move according to established precedent, which is why Blandino had to address it. Although he did so quite awkwardly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have officiated for over 20 years in games, unlike Blandino who was sitting in front of a tv pretending to be an official, and know how to read and interpret a rulebook. You are 100% wrong and they are changing their story to cover their ***.

Flag football doesn't play under the same rules as the NFL. :laugh:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Flag football doesn't play under the same rules as the NFL. :laugh:

So you resort to a little juvenile remark, huh? Frustration setting in? Besides, I thought you said you were done?

Blindzebra has called games probably longer that you are old.

(giggle, giggle, giggle)