News: DMN: Packers think they know the secret to keeping Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott in check

robjay04

Reaction score
Funny...

Matthews must've forgot what he said last game when he was mic'd up."

"they're so *** good though"

I guess that's only because they were trying to lay a big hit or guys were out of scheme and trying to do too much?

No it's because you and your defense are soft and got owned.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I suspect they will blitz a lot this game in attempts to stop Zeke and pressure Dak.

I've seen Dom do it before.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys' first matchup with the Packers was a meeting of the NFL's top rushing offense vs. the top rushing defense.
And Ezekiel Elliott helped the Cowboys get the best of that matchup with 157 rushing yards.

This time around, the Packers are emphasizing discipline in their efforts to halt Elliott, according to PackersNews writer Ryan Wood.

The Packers need to take Elliott off the field to give Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers time to work his magic.

"He does a real good job," Packers linebacker Clay Matthews said of Elliott, "of kind of finding the holes and being patient, and that's where he makes a lot of teams pay. I'm not saying we have to do anything special, but we need to do our job. If you look at the runs he hit on us the first time, it was guys just doing too much or kind of playing outside the scheme.

"That's what we're focusing on this week, is being accountable and doing our job and being where we need to be."

The team told PackersNews they were more concerned with sending a message and getting big hits in the first matchup.

"When a guy makes a mistake, [Elliott] attacks right where you make a mistake from," defensive tackle Letroy Guion said. "That's what makes you pay."

Read the full PackersNews article here.

Continue reading...

Great story guys. But why didn't you 'just do that' when Demarco Murray and the Titans smoked you? Or 'Fat Rob' and the Commanders?

Sometimes you just aren't good enough.

:huh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect they will blitz a lot this game in attempts to stop Zeke and pressure Dak.

I've seen Dom do it before.

That's what I expect early on as well. And not to abandon the run or let them dictate obviously, but I'm hoping that Dez steps up against those corners early and often. If he can do that, this thing can get ugly (for them!) in a hurry!

AzorAhai

Reaction score
They couldn't stop him last time because they were thinking about that $42,000 gift card to Dave and Busters.

StillLife

Reaction score
Zeke's ability to run the ball (or lack thereof) will almost certainly be the deciding factor in the game. No team is going to completely shut him down. Zeke and that O-line are too good. If the Packers can hold him under 110, I would consider that a victory.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is what packers are thinking......
Players leaving their gaps from snap to snap. Loading up for big hits. Trying to send a message.

If they couldn’t handle their adrenaline in the first game, it’s a wonder how they’ll stay composed Sunday. No matter how big the regular-season matchup, the playoffs are bigger. The Packers are a win from the NFC title game, higher stakes than the middle of October.

Regardless, they all saw the same thing on film this week. Not a single player in their locker room said they were manhandled in October. No, Guion said, the Packers' biggest problem was themselves.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Everyone has a plan til they get hit in the mouth.

Unfortunately for them, Dallas' offensive line swing big clubs.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what they did the first time we played them.

plasticman

Reaction score
LOL...."playing too much or outside of the scheme"...

That's because if they had been where they were supposed to be then after each play they would be wondering:

1. Why does my alarm clock sound.like a whistle?

2. Why does my matress feel so uncomfortable?

3. Why can't I remember painting my bedroom cieling sky blue?

Again..good luck with that..seriously.

Reactions: BAT

Plankton

Reaction score
They can think they know the secret, but the question for them is, can they withstand the body blows as the game plays out? They may slow it down early, but the accumulation of runs and getting pushed and leaned on constantly will wear them down. Sometime in the second half, they will crack on defense, and Elliott will be ripping off gains. Like water on a rock.

TheHerd

Reaction score
And I know the secret to being rich - win the lottery twice.