DMN: Pass distribution numbers

Wood

Reaction score
DMN: The true story on Romo's pass distribution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anybody who would suggest that, the numbers say otherwise. The numbers say T.O. is still T.R.'s top target. Beyond the jump, a look at how often Romo has thrown in the direction of various receivers since his return on Nov. 16.

1. Terrell Owens: 40 passes (20 catches)
2. Jason Witten: 27 passes (18 catches)
3. Roy Williams: 18 passes (10 catches)
4. Marion Barber: 17 passes (14 catches)
5. Tashard Choice: 12 passes (8 catches)
6. Patrick Crayton: 8 passes (6 catches)
7. Martellus Bennett: 6 passes (6 catches)
8. Miles Austin: 3 passes (2 catches)
9. Tony Curtis: 2 passes (1 catch)

Boysboy

Reaction score
Wood;2483683 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anybody who would suggest that, the numbers say otherwise. The numbers say T.O. is still T.R.'s top target. Beyond the jump, a look at how often Romo has thrown in the direction of various receivers since his return on Nov. 16.

I would like the breakdown game by game. Remember in the Skins game, we pounded it with Barber. In the Hawks game, Witten was the show.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Boysboy;2483688 said:
I would like the breakdown game by game. Remember in the Skins game, we pounded it with Barber. In the Hawks game, Witten was the show.

and the 9ers TO was the show.

Wood

Reaction score
I think it just points out that Romo is not playing favorites with witten (who he has higher completion % with...so I wouldnt blame Romo for looking his way when things are on the line).

goshan

Reaction score
Obviously the numbers are accurate.
But I think this is the problem.

1. When Romo decides to throw to TO, it is in the huddle. He forces a lot to him -- almost mechanically.
2. When he needs a key play and the game is on the line, he is biased toward Witten.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Wood;2483694 said:
I think it just points out that Romo is not playing favorites with witten (who he has higher completion % with...so I wouldnt blame Romo for looking his way when things are on the line).

Well my pt is that I would like a game by game breakdown. Is it possible if he threw alot of them in the Niners game? Remember how the Niners secondary was playing 10 yards off the receivers...any idiot QB would have taken advantage of this.

And like I said about the other games-we pounded it with Barber in the Skins game, the Hawks game was the Witten show, and I don't remember many times he forced it into TO in the Pitt game(other than the 2 picks).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
goshan;2483706 said:

1. When Romo decides to throw to TO, it is in the huddle. He forces a lot to him -- almost mechanically.
2. When he needs a key play and the game is on the line, he is biased toward Witten.
Good points.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boysboy;2483688 said:
This help?

Buddy system? No ... Jason Witten is just Tony Romo's most reliable target

3:57 PM Thu, Dec 11, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

The wide receivers met with Jason Garrett today to figure out why they aren't getting as many passes thrown their way as they'd like. Seems that Tony Romo should have been involved in that discussion, too, but he apparently didn't get an invitation.

Putting aside the fact that T.O. gets more balls thrown to him than anybody on the team, there's really a simple explanation for why Witten is so involved in the passing game. And it's not because he buddies up to Romo in hotel rooms and on Cabo beaches.

It's because Witten is Romo's most reliable target.

You want evidence? Here's the breakdown of Romo's throws to Witten and the team's top three receivers this season, courtesy of Stats, Inc.:

T.O.

43-of-88 (48.8 %), 748 yards, 8 TD

WITTEN

58-of-80 (72.5 %), 719 yards, 3 TD

PATRICK CRAYTON

23-of-39 (59.0 %), 320 yards, 3 TD

ROY WILLIAMS

10-of-18 (55.5 %), 139 yards, 0 TD

In fairness, just because a ball is thrown to a receiver doesn't make it catchable. There have been a lot of those sort of passes thrown to T.O. this season. But he's also dropped seven balls and doesn't make nearly as many tough catches in traffic as Witten.

hendog

Reaction score
In all honesty, most of TO's routes are longer and "riskier" than Witten's. While Witten is squatting in some zone we seem to have TO running a fly pattern 90% of the time. Which is not a very high percentage play.

I know Romo throws to TO alot but alot of them are uncatchable for whatever reason.

I would like to see more plays designed to go to RW11 and Crayton.

Boysboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483726 said:
This help?

The wide receivers met with Jason Garrett today to figure out why they aren't getting as many passes thrown their way as they'd like. Seems that Tony Romo should have been involved in that discussion, too, but he apparently didn't get an invitation.

Putting aside the fact that T.O. gets more balls thrown to him than anybody on the team, there's really a simple explanation for why Witten is so involved in the passing game. And it's not because he buddies up to Romo in hotel rooms and on Cabo beaches.

You want evidence? Here's the breakdown of Romo's throws to Witten and the team's top three receivers this season, courtesy of Stats, Inc.:

T.O.

WITTEN

PATRICK CRAYTON

ROY WILLIAMS

In fairness, just because a ball is thrown to a receiver doesn't make it catchable. There have been a lot of those sort of passes thrown to T.O. this season. But he's also dropped seven balls and doesn't make nearly as many tough catches in traffic as Witten.

Thanks! And less not forget that 20 of those passes to TO were in ONE game(the 1st Skins game)-alot of that had got to do with the scheme the Skins played(they fooled Romo into thinking they were playing the run, Romo changed his audibles to pass plays...only for the Skins to drop back in pass coverage, which made everything confusing).

Wood

Reaction score
goshan;2483706 said:

I agree...Romo tends to favor Witten in critical situation which I think is the correct thing to do for Romo based on his higher completion % and comfort with Witten. Owens might need to do better job of running thru his routes (ie like Witten does) to install more confidence in Romo in pressure situations. Marshall Faulk talked about this....he doesnt blame Romo for not looking TO way in pressure situations considering how Owens sometimes gives up on his routes (see first Int throw in Owens direction in Pitt game).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483726 said:
So let's tack those 7 balls back onto his total and say he's caught 50 of 88. That still means he's only at 57% compared to Witten's 73%, which goes to show you how many of the balls to TO are uncatchable.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Romo favor Witten?

December 12, 2008 10:42 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

As Terrell Owens continues to push for different room assignments when the Cowboys are on the road, we asked ESPN Stats and Information to look at the breakdown of where passes are being thrown. Let's go to the numbers:

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/pass-dist.gif

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2483726 said:
This help?

T.O.

WITTEN

PATRICK CRAYTON

ROY WILLIAMS

And I think that is where owens is having an issue. He doesn't like the quality of passes. It has to be frustrating to run a route only to have the ball to far away to make a play on it. But that happens to every WR.

Reaction score
Wood;2483683 said:

Quit hating on TO and swinging on Tony's Nads....

How many of those ball were underthrown or behind him?

Does a pass 10 yards out of bounds on the sideline count if TO is the closest WR??

Wood

Reaction score
If anything...I would like to see fewer passes TO and more to Witten and the backfield....especially in cold games.

arync

Reaction score
A lot of the throws to T.O. are deep routes down the sidelines. Most of those passes end up sailing out of bounds. Why don't they run more routes across the middle.

ethiostar

Reaction score
It would be nice if we can get other recievers involved in the passing game a little more, other than Witten and TO., a la Crayton, Roy W. and Bennet.

That should open up things even more for Witten and TO later in games.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Does anyone take into account that not only does Romo have to look for 4 good to great receivers on any given pass play as well as the guy Proctor has just got mowed over by? Witten is his go to guy to keep from getting hammered? Ya think? Maybe?