DMN: Pass distribution numbers

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Seven;2484011 said:
Does anyone take into account that not only does Romo have to look for 4 good to great receivers on any given pass play as well as the guy Proctor has just got mowed over by? Witten is his go to guy to keep from getting hammered? Ya think? Maybe?

Tim Hasselbeck just broke the Pit game down. He said that the way teams play us the middle of the field is where the ball is going and should be going.
that is the open part of the field.

So it's play calling?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2484023 said:
Tim Hasselbeck just broke the Pit game down. He said that the way teams play us the middle of the field is where the ball is going and should be going.
that is the open part of the field.

So it's play calling?

Ya got me, Dave. Too many variables, intangibles and every other "ibles" to single out anything IMO.

My head's spinning with "***'s?".

Hos had a good ""find the corner in the round room" analogy.

I DO think that the ball is going where it needs to go on any given play.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Wood;2483683 said:
DMN: The true story on Romo's pass distribution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anybody who would suggest that, the numbers say otherwise. The numbers say T.O. is still T.R.'s top target. Beyond the jump, a look at how often Romo has thrown in the direction of various receivers since his return on Nov. 16.

1. Terrell Owens: 40 passes (20 catches)
2. Jason Witten: 27 passes (18 catches)
3. Roy Williams: 18 passes (10 catches)
4. Marion Barber: 17 passes (14 catches)
5. Tashard Choice: 12 passes (8 catches)
6. Patrick Crayton: 8 passes (6 catches)
7. Martellus Bennett: 6 passes (6 catches)
8. Miles Austin: 3 passes (2 catches)
9. Tony Curtis: 2 passes (1 catch)
I'd like to see a breakdown of how many of those 40 were uncatchable passes thrown too high, too low, and/or out of reach of Owens.

He made a great catch on a very low pass against PIT, if he hadn't he'd have been bashed anyway. He has dropped a few but not all 40 are on target and that's something that is rarely taken into consideration.

And it could be playcalling.. where were the 3 INTs? middle of the field? Oh wait no they weren't...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2484105 said:
I'd like to see a breakdown of how many of those 40 were uncatchable passes thrown too high, too low, and/or out of reach of Owens.

I'd like to see a pass att./completion ratio of 30-30 700yds..............

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Among the 21 receivers with over 100 targets (TO currently ranks 11th in the NFL), only Braylon Edwards has a worse reception rate. And Braylon probably has the worst hands in the NFL. TO and Braylon are the only players out of the 21 that have less than a 50% completion rate.

Maybe some are going to make the case that all the other 19 players in that 100+ target category benefit from better QB play than Terrell gets. I find that extremely difficult to believe, considering Romo is 3rd in the NFL in passer rating and given the QBs Calvin Johnson and Tony Gonzales, for instance, have to work with.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Wood;2483683 said:
DMN: The true story on Romo's pass distribution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anybody who would suggest that, the numbers say otherwise. The numbers say T.O. is still T.R.'s top target. Beyond the jump, a look at how often Romo has thrown in the direction of various receivers since his return on Nov. 16.

1. Terrell Owens: 40 passes (20 catches)
2. Jason Witten: 27 passes (18 catches)
3. Roy Williams: 18 passes (10 catches)
4. Marion Barber: 17 passes (14 catches)
5. Tashard Choice: 12 passes (8 catches)
6. Patrick Crayton: 8 passes (6 catches)
7. Martellus Bennett: 6 passes (6 catches)
8. Miles Austin: 3 passes (2 catches)
9. Tony Curtis: 2 passes (1 catch)

hmm lets do this more!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
. Martellus Bennett: 6 passes (6 catches)

I would always throw to Bennett....100 percent completion percentage.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
NBC pointed out a play where Bennett was wide open going R-L across the middle and Romo went deep instead. Bennett has solid hands, had his defender beat and wide open spaces in front of him.

dboyz

Reaction score
Based upon the numbers Romo should throw more to Witten.