DMN: Rick Gosselin's 2nd Mock Draft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always chuckle when people critize mock drafts. It's like picking all the winners in the NCAA BB tournament. It just doesn't happen. And the draft NEVER falls the way anyone thinks. Especially when teams start making trades. In this specific mock, I see no way we stay at 18 with the OLB's and players like Justice, Whitner and even Cromartie still on the board.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
No way ferguson slips that far. Neither will Justice. ANd Marooney will not go that high. This mock does not impress me at all.

If Ferguson did fall that far Dallas should try like heck to move up and grab him, he could be the best player in this draft.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Goose uses the first few drafts to show patterns - e.g., he hears Justice may be falling. I can't see us passing on Justice at all. Also, I suspect we like Carpenter more than Lawson.

VERY, VERY :hammer:

:bow:

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I'll be very surprised if Marooney goes that high, I just don't see that happening. I'm more inclined to think that Parcells will take Carpenter before Lawson, just my two cents worth.

hendog

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
If Ferguson did fall that far Dallas should try like heck to move up and grab him, he could be the best player in this draft.

Me personally, I wouldn't move up in this mock to take Ferg if we could stay there and take Justice. BTW I'd take Carp as well.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Duane said:
Best possible scenario for us. We get a choice of the 3 OLBs we want and the 2nd best OT in the draft.

I hope it happens too. I was thinking that we would be lucky to have just one of the 3-4 OLBs drop to us, but all 3? I hope it goes like this!

Tristan

Reaction score
If you recall, last year his early draft was on the money, as he had us taking Ware first, then Spears. In his last mock prior to the draft, he changed it to have us taking Spears first, then Clayton (WR Oklahoma)with the second pick. I found it very interesting that his first instinct was the right one, I believe he has us taking Holmes in his first effort this year.

hendog

Reaction score
Tristan said:
If you recall, last year his early draft was on the money, as he had us taking Ware first, then Spears. In his last mock prior to the draft, he changed it to have us taking Spears first, then Clayton (WR Oklahoma)with the second pick. I found it very interesting that his first instinct was the right one, I believe he has us taking Holmes in his first effort this year.

I just don't see us taking a WR in 1.Whoever our 1st pick is they need to start and be an impact player from day 1 unless we pick Justice @ 18 or trade down and take OT or OG later. If we walk away with say Eric Winston or Marcus Mcneil and Davin Joseph or Duece or Max-Jean I'd be a happy camper.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
At the top, it looks like a decent guess (or more precisely, a plausible scenario) to me. I see the Jets trading with NO and taking Leinart at 2. The titans would then take Young and NO would take either Williams or Ferguson. You can't really show trades in a mock, so you just fashion it the way that Gosselin has. If NO takes Williams, Ferguson might just slip to #8.

As for the rest, there are some questionable predictions. I don't see Justice falling that far at all. This isn't his final mock of course, but its definitely closer to his final than the last one he did which was ridiculous.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Don't discount the OTs falling. They simply seem to every year. That type of yearly trend if hard to ignore. Not only that but DBrick is by far the best OT ands yet he is no where near the prospect Pace was. He is probably just about even with what Bryant McKinnie was coming out.

I do think he has corrected some scout fallacies in this mock and expect this to be closer to how it actually falls.

As for Cowboys: I'd be giddy over Manny Lawson. He is the best available athlete as well as best player at a need position. Combining those 2 usually yields great results as drafting did Ware seem to.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Was it Lawson who's praises Goose was singing with Norm last week?

I think it was, and he was saying he could be one of the best players in this draft and he thought it a crime that his stock was so low.

Can't remember though, all these college names give me tired head.

Sandman52

Reaction score
The thing I really gather from this mock is the run on LB-types that occurs between 12-21. Unfortunately, we don't have much flexibility to trade down too far. Tho, if we pass on Justice, surely some team right behind us is chomping at the bit.

Sandman52

Reaction score
Looking back, we really need to stay ahead of New England, but only San Fran and Tampa Bay seem like trading partners for Justice. But neither one really helps us get that OLB (tho, SF probly would have some nice draft pick slot options).

Pokes28

Reaction score
Goose's final is normally the best in the biz. However last year his final mock wasn't all that great...

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Chuck 54

Reaction score
IN my opinion, Manny Lawson shouldn't be selected before the bottom of round 1 or in round 2.

Look back over the season and past seasons, even the months leading up to the combine....who was projecting Lawson mid first round? anyone?

The guy puts up monster numbers at the combine and suddenly the media starts moving him up the draft boards...and we jump right into it.

NO thanks...Like in the last two seasons, we're at a point in our development, where we cannot be wrong about our first pick...Lawson is another DE...if we're wrong about his ability to play LB and cover TE's and RB's, we're screwed, because he's way to small to play anywhere else for the Cowboys now that we don't play the 4-3.

To me, it's an unnecessary gamble this season....we'll know whether the scouts have been as crazy for him as we are in a few days.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the media thinks, the pro teams just started putting their boards together the last month or two and they think he is a first round pick. Ware was listed as a second round pick by most, until the media got wind in the last month that the teams had him as the best pass rusher and he was going in the first round.

Our scouts and head coach know LBs for the 3-4, I think they can tell who can make the switch. Those guys in NE and Pitt, seem to know who can make the switch too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
IN my opinion, Manny Lawson shouldn't be selected before the bottom of round 1 or in round 2.

Look back over the season and past seasons, even the months leading up to the combine....who was projecting Lawson mid first round? anyone?

The guy puts up monster numbers at the combine and suddenly the media starts moving him up the draft boards...and we jump right into it.
Find a pre-combine mock draft from last year that had Ware going as early as we took him. I could be wrong, but his situation was very similiar to Lawson's.

Reaction score
A couple of quick hits.
Since I live in NE Ohio, I have a pretty good read on what the Savage/Crennel team will do. One thing they WON'T do is let Ngata past them. They signed Ted Washington in FA, but he's 112 years old. He can last just long enough to teach a great athlete like Ngata how to be one of the all-time best NTs.

If Manny Lawson's name is called at #18, I will jump & shout. The dude is an awesome athlete & player. He can build up those chicken legs & put another 15-20lbs. of muscle on that 6'-6" frame-no problem. Then we have two cat-quick OLBs who will terrorize the league for the next 8-10 years.

I have the mindset that whichever LB my Cowboys pick, I will be happy, & say we got the best. If we pass up on all 3 & take Winston Justice, I will be ecstatic, knowing we are securing the 'O' line for the future.

Whatever happens this Saturday, I will be one happy camper. Unless they pick Joe Paluka for E. Bumtruck State......but that won't happen, because we are the DALLAS COWBOYS!!!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Find a pre-combine mock draft from last year that had Ware going as early as we took him. I could be wrong, but his situation was very similiar to Lawson's.

Almost identical. I agree.

Problem is they are too identical, Lawson also being a WOLB (3-4).

Like I've been saying, if we didn't have Ware, Lawson would be #1 on my list by a long shot.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Cogan said:
The dude is an awesome athlete & player. He can build up those chicken legs
To something like this?
Chicken_legs_front.gif